Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Yes I have worked on it some but the layers of laminated wood are a little uneven on the inside and I am hesitant to remove much because it is already wide gapped. You may be right though, I may need to do a little more sanding.

1 Like

Maybe try just around the axle rather than the insides of the yoyo?

1 Like

Cant wait!!

2 Likes

Not even 7am and I landed 3 kickflips in a single bind, then a double kickflips on the very next throw! Then my string broke. Only put it on yesterday, hope it’s not a pattern.

18 Likes

Throwing a similar Fixie in the fishy Friday.

19 Likes

I think my wooden fixies needed a little break in time as well I felt a little catching from a wood piece. Is it possible to open the yoyo?

3 Likes

I don’t believe so. F44 uses a spiral pattern engraved into the walls for response. I’m sure it’s just a matter of breaking in. I’ve had F44’s before, no issues.

5 Likes

Alright guys I need a little help with my fixie this Friday. It’s a TMBR / Zipline Wood-z.

When I throw it, it feels like a brick on a string and just drops down without spinning really. I have tried to screw it together so the gap is tighter but that just makes it so it doesn’t sleep. Is there a finesse to this that I just don’t have? Does this gap need to be smaller? What is the best way to adjust the gap size, screwing the two sides together, or screwing the axle part tighter, or a subtle mixture of both? Please help because this yoyo was really fun to play with before I unscrewed it and messed it up.

8 Likes

Is that a new string? If so crank up the tension and throw it for a bit or put a little bit of beeswax on the part of the string that loops the axle

7 Likes

I could never get my tmbr right after I unscrewed it either. Was thinking back on it and wondered if the playing card method would work. Take just the axle and shove playing cards in the gap, enough to fill it snug, and do the same on the opposite side of the axle. Then screw on the halves so everything lines up flush, then screw on the axle caps. Pull out the cards, et viola.

Maybe?

Got rid of both the tmbrs I had so I couldn’t test it myself.

4 Likes

If it doesn’t work, I’ll give you $5 shipped for the clearly defective throw :eyes:

2 Likes

Ha you’re funny. I beeswaxed the string and wound up some tension in the string and now it’s coming back smoothly, but when I make string tension normal again it goes back to being a brick on a string. It’s like I need slightly thicker cotton string or something. That’s what it feels like. I’ll throw it for a few days with some super tight tension and see if that fixes it. If not, I’ll try the playing cards trick. Thanks guys!

3 Likes

Are you left handed or right handed. I ask because I’m lefthanded. When I throw the string tension will slowly loosen causing exactly what you are describing. I have also found with the TMBR’s that I own some take a little longer to break the string in than others.

1 Like

Right handed, thanks for the insight though. I’ll keep breaking in the string and see if that helps.

1 Like

The betta fish in the background looks beautiful :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I have noticed as well tmbrs in general take a bit to break in the string. My XL cherry wood z was finicky for awhile similar to how you’re describing but eventually everything fell into place and it plays great now. Patience might simply be the best option just keep throwing and give it time

3 Likes

Tuning the halves is a bit of a pain, but I’ve got a decent handle on it now. The cap and the axle screw against each other to keep everything tight, so moving the cap in or out moves the axle the same way. The best way to adjust it without damaging anything is to start by twisting the halves off the axle. Then you can adjust the caps and screw the halves back together. It may take a few tries to get it just right. If the axle gets stuck in one side then you can cover it with a piece of leather and squeeze real hard or use pliers.

Even then you might need to tighten your string, because you can’t change the gap of the axle.

2 Likes

Yeah I wish the kot-n string from Zipline was just a tad bit thicker to handle the wide axle of TMBR fixies. I have also noticed you kind of have to twist the halves together while also tightening the axle on the side that screws in, or else you’ll end up tightening it too much or it won’t tighten at all. It’s all very difficult to get right, but I think I’ll get it eventually.

1 Like

I think @aironish had it right and you need to pinch the string above the yoyo and spin the yoyo to get the tension tight again. Then throw a few sleepers til it’s snappy again. Usually does the trick for me.

2 Likes

Good stuff, pre-dot com.

10 Likes