Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Oh man I absolutely Love the Apollo! Probably my favorite no tmbr/non no Jive fixie

21 Likes

Beers and throws
Happy Friday my fixie friends! Surprisingly enough I’ve found myself tossing a classic imperial shape this week with the BC Lightning. Loops like a dream and has great consistent response. Honestly stalls aren’t that bad on imperials imo as long as you use reasonable precision. I always feel like once I get it in the flow I hit pretty consistently

18 Likes

I’m growing my own. Soon they will sprout into beautiful fixies.

26 Likes

I’m seeing 4 yoyos here… But only one of you… :eyes:

3 Likes

My wife is helping with a charity auction and she asked me to make a yo-yo for it. I’m making 4 because that’s how many I could make with the supplies I bought. I’m hoping that one will be really good and that will go to the auction. I want to see how good they play before I decide what to do with extras.

8 Likes

Love my some handmade wood. Wish there were more folks doing it more often. I’d love to see the finished product in action of you’re a video-taking-sort-of-person.

6 Likes

Honest question to the guys who can do this, how hard is it? Ive just started getting consistent with Spirit Bomb on an unresponsive, but the few times ive attempted it on a responsive yoyo I bind up. And anything on a responsive yoyo that requires spin time requires even more finesse on a fixie, so I can imagine this being regarded with pro level difficulty, but im not sure.

5 Likes

It sounds like we are in the same boat on Spirit Bomb. Pretty consistent unresponsive, a hot mess responsive, just under 3 months away from a 365 day quest to tame it on a fixie

7 Likes

I hope to grow up and be as brave as you.

4 Likes

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Worst case is 12/31/2022, I’m posting that while I learned a lot about fixed axle play over the past year, Spirit Bomb remains my fixed “holy grail”. There are worse things than still having a trick to chase.

8 Likes

Waiting for this BLO to dry :sleeping:

16 Likes

If you’ve got it it’s no big deal. If you’re not quite there it seems impossible.
It’s a pretty solid gauntlet for fixed axle 1a because it combines spin and snag potential, but there are plenty of tricks/elements which are tougher. You have to know the trick, know your yo-yo, throw “just right”, and keep the string from getting slack in the gap. It’s way easier if you came up throwing responsive, but even then it’s not automatic. Guys like Yuuki, Tyler, Red… they did it on a No Jive first try. But they’re also mutants.

For sure work up to it - Split the Atom, solid Eli Hops, Kwyjibo, and Drop In the Bucket are definitely prerequisites.

15 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I do Kwyjiibo on responsive all the time, but never on a fixie. Maybe Ill nail that one first. And considering what you said, ill aim for nailing SB on a responsive first. Unfortunately im not mutant or world class. Appreciate the advice :smiley:

7 Likes

The master has spoke. (Bows)

2 Likes

Rockin’ this striped beauty today…

23 Likes

That looks so pretty

4 Likes

Today is a Spinworthy Boon in photina wood

22 Likes

Since it’s Friday…

This is my only one. So I’ll try to learn something on it.

kgb

18 Likes

Hildy Bros fixed axle and Dubé no axle. This yo-yo is hard for me to get to feel right, response-wise. Still trying different strings, but it is very unresponsive and it has some rough spots, so it’s a weird combination.

17 Likes

Happy Friday!

18 Likes