Fixed Axle Friday Throws

That. Is. Skill.

1 Like

I really need to break down those tricks. Stuff like that is right up my alley recently since ive been playing a lot of responsive/semi yoyos lately. Most notably the Daytona SB slimline, Silver Bullet, and my Caveman Go. Ive been looking for inspiration on how to improve my current responsive game, and those flips and rolls and GT regens are what I need.

But doing this on a Butterfly? Lmao, that’s skill ill never have.

6 Likes

This has really got my attention. Is there a breakdown for that?

I just used the slow-mo feature 0.25x speed in the playback settings on the YouTube player.

2 Likes

Happy Fixed Friday.

Not a fixed axel, but i put a wooden doll house together. Basically this ate into al my practice time. Hopefully tonight I’ll throw some wood!

9 Likes

I got my practice in. Was working on stalls with my caveman last night. Thank you @vegabomb.

https://youtu.be/OWJ4sATI6Uc

5 Likes

Re: Mystic - if it’s helpful, “Mystic Dump” is kind of a fixed axle/stall version of Magic Drop, but using a Dumptruck to make the transition. So all the stuff Drew is exploring there are variations (some REALLY hard) on that same principle. Here’s the original move and for sure the simplest to get down.

14 Likes

Thank you for the breakdown @edhaponik. I dig this trick. I’ve been working on double or nothing ,kickflips to trap. So this will fit nicely with that progress.

2 Likes

Can you link a tutorial for this if there is one please?

2 Likes

Just something I’ve been trying, though very low success rate so far.

Throw a double or nothing stall and try to kick flip it back to a trapeze.
While it flips, pull your hands apart to relieve the slack and the loop from the KF. You don’t catch the loop like a regular KF, but instead land the yoyo back on the string( should still be a loop around index of nth).
I’ll try to find time to shoot it if I can.(but no promises)
Good luck & happy throwing

6 Likes

Nice! It’s definitely harder to try landing Kickflips on the string instead of catching the loop.

If you’re just starting, you can also flip from 2.0 and just drop the extra string and catch the loop in Trapeze. And if that’s easy, try sticking the 1.5 in between! Really satisfying and kind of has that fun “skateboardy” flip in, flip out kind of vibe. <3

10 Likes

Is “Trap” the term for landing a stalled trick (I.e. kickflip, varial, etc) back on the sting?

1 Like

Thanks for this Ed! Perfect difficulty level for where I’m at right now!

4 Likes

Yep, this is right up my alley as well. I have been just improvising and experimenting for months now, but it is always nice to use that base skill to learn a new trick. Now that kickflips are kind of too easy, this is perfect.

So, I got this a couple of weeks ago. A padauk Cavemen Go! Looks like an heirloom, plays like a premium wood butterfly style yoyo. The response is spot on, just as good as my Spinworthy throws. Gotta work kinda hard to land the same things I do with my beech KNack, but it is as smooth as butter. Really loving this yoyo, @vegabomb really makes a great yoyo!

edit: horizontal flipped the first pic.

18 Likes

Sorry. Shortened from trapeze(trapeze stall).

Nothing fancy like recapture’s😉

1 Like

Is this because it’s narrower, less power, or something else?

1 Like

It’s heavier, has less powerful spin, and is narrower. The response is perfect. It is just the smaller and more organic shape that makes it harder to play. It’s a fun and challenging classic shape, which is just what i was hoping for.

3 Likes

Really happy you like it! I have a batch almost ready to send to YYE. Some different weights, lighter and heavier along with some other woods and sizes. Stay tuned!

14 Likes

Ill definitely snag another one if I can. I will be hawking the lightest one. I have a thing for light fixies.

4 Likes

I make Kyle a 41g white oak Button and he absolutely loved it even though it’s so light.

8 Likes