Fixed Axle Friday Throws

The Thisaway-Thataway sure is a popular yoyo at the minute. It sure looks really nicely crafted.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m playing mine set up That-A-Way, this one is a Standard Walnut. The response is very spot on.

7 Likes

Looks so good in walnut. My all-maple one has been my default out-and-about and dog-walking (so to speak) yo-yo since I got it!

7 Likes

I love the look of these. I tried buying an oak version but I don’t think he ships to the UK.

1 Like

Everyone’s excited about Fixed Friday’s

7 Likes

Now that I’ve had a chance to really try these, I have to say they’re amazing. If you don’t have a Spinworthy yo from @Glenacius_K, you should get one. It was worth the shipping wait.
They’ve got perfectly consistent response, are so smooth, and just show impeccably solid craftsmanship.
String these up with Kot-N Zipline strings, and you’ve got a lot of yoyo joy ahead of you.

SpectraPly Bloodcell

Oak KNack

13 Likes

If you’re interested in a spectraply version I have a spare.

9 Likes

Thanks man, I appreciate the offer but I kind of have my heart set on an oak at the moment. I’ll definitely think about it though!

Tomorrow will be my first Fixed Axle Friday that I’ve purposely participated in, but I have a slight issue.

My Apollo began separating after about 30 minutes of play a couple weeks ago. What’s the best adhesive to reattach this axle with this yoyo?

6 Likes

Short term, just plain water works for about an hour. Long term epoxy. Wood glue lately has just given me a false sense of security.

4 Likes

Thank you kind friend. I shall do just that for tomorrow and then epoxy on Saturday.

Any particular type you suggest? I got some 2 part that I used for something on my car a couple months ago.

2 Likes

Yeah the old laminates are great players, but the 20 plus year old glue usually fails shortly after playing regularly. Any 2 part should be sufficient and just lightly do the inside walls. However @Glenacius_K and @vegabomb are the experts and they may have some suggestions.

5 Likes

@Exmime is correct, just a small amount and only in the hole. Don’t put any on the axle. It’s not a bad idea to use spacers on either side of the axle to keep the gap even. Eight or nine playing cards is a good width.

5 Likes

I used to use what was considered the very best PVA wood glue with the strongest bond. It often failed. PVA is fine for projects with larger surface to surface contact. Buy in a tiny area such as an axle and hole, they are no good.

Two part epoxy mixed and applied correctly and won’t fail. Doesn’t really matter the brand, buy the cheapest you can find; they are all extremely tough. I reccomend buying one with the longest working time you can find. Make sure you leave it for 24h before using your yoyo again.

7 Likes

this happened to my Harbinger, keep forgetting to aask my older brother if he has epoxy and if he’ll help me.

Last few weeks I’ve been playing a lot of Walnut. So today I’m playing Maple. This one has no need for glue with it’s threaded wooden TMBR axle.

7 Likes

Fixed friday is very addictive. I really enjoy thre feel of throwing wood. And at my skill it’s very humbling… metal is so much more forgiving to my sloppy habits.
Some of my cleaner moments today…

8 Likes

Happy Friday

8 Likes

Unfortunately, my TMBR yoyo really does need some epoxy. It has flown apart on me a lot. Super craftsmanship, I just cant get it to work.

3 Likes

i should fix my Harbinger, shouldn’t i…

2 Likes