Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Sold.

21 Likes

It turns out my favorite of that set was also the Survivalist, but a new challenger approaches in the El Mijo Polycarb.

I think I’ve realized that the regen is the most important element to me for responsive 5A, hence why I gravitate to the heavier throws.

All in all I think I prefer a bearing for responsive 5A.

17 Likes

Clean Machine (Hockey crosspost - go Canes!)

23 Likes

That’s so clean!! I love the flip and the ending catch where it spools up in your hand.

2 Likes

Yo I’m tossing this legend wing today bc I want to figure out the fixed axle February TaWs and I like throwing it.

I also have a general question about stalls—is my goal to get as much of the string wound up as possible before I interrupt the Yoyo returning or do I just need enough to do a good regen?

13 Likes

In my experience it’s about finding a balance between getting enough string in the gap to get a nice regen while also not having so much string that it messes with the stability of the stall. Different tricks may require more or less to make it a bit easier.

5 Likes

generally i would say as much as possible allowing for what you want to do WITHIN the stall. if you want to hit a bunny flip or a varial, too tight is a liability. if you want to do a lunar flip, too loose is. more wind means more regen potential, but if you can get it back the way you want to, there’s no right or wrong.

7 Likes

Okay thanks y’all that is super helpful! I did mess up basically immediately and right away threw a hell knot into the wing I don’t think I can’t get it out like I been trying for too long already…is there anything to try besides carefully going at the string w a serrated knife ?

Edit:Nevermind I was impatient and just cut it live and learn! Hah

2 Likes

Lots of knot pick ideas here:

I use the flat edge of a pocket knife as a pick and when that doesn’t work, I turn it over and start cutting.

3 Likes

Happy Friday! 5A This-a-way.

15 Likes

I use this little poker tool I have for tying flies. It’s essentially just a metal toothpick though.

1 Like

Yeah I forgot I can’t be wild bc this gap is like super thin but I’ve been doing good now happy Friday y’all also

I have had good luck with using a paper clip to get out an axle knot on a wooden yoyo. i tried toothpicks but some had broken in the process.

3 Likes

17 Likes

One of my 5A May go to set ups is my ProFLY and Yellow Duncan Bouncy Ball, but I also just got a session on my “Play Simply” No Jive.

16 Likes

Happy Friday!

21 Likes

Happy Fixed Fri.
Maple PockeHt and a Wildwood Mother T.
The TMBR is probably the smoothest fixed I’ve ever experienced and the Wildwood is the most agile. My top two favorite fixed.

21 Likes

It’s dangerous to go alone. Take this.

Spinworthy Survivalist and Monster Ball.

19 Likes

Though I’m more usually to be found throwing a Duncan Butterfly, this little beauty arrived just in time for Fixie Friday - I’ve wanted one for soooo long!

18 Likes

I really like my legend wing. Something about a cheap wood yoyo that plays well is just fantastic.

4 Likes