Fixed Axle FeHbruary! (Win a DeHcade)

I have a few filmed, but El MiJo is similarly challenging for the Bird compared to the survivalist. I’ve gotten close a couple times. I just switched to a thinner string and it has brought split the atom within reach.

6 Likes

Agreed on the butterfly recommendation. I’ve had mine for years and used it for a few of the tricks in this challenge. It definitely doesn’t need to be anything fancy. Butterfly gets the job done.

3 Likes

Alright! Finally landed that Bird!

18 Likes

Good ■■■■ man!

3 Likes

This 0a stuff looks a lot like sorcery to me. The accuracy required astounds and confounds me!

6 Likes

I picked up a Butterfly for this competition but I still can’t do any of the tricks hahaha I’m not upset, though, it has been fun and I probably wouldn’t have worked on stalls otherwise. You’re right, the Butterfly is kind of a no brainer. Any tips on finding solid color butterflys?

9 Likes

I haven’t been able to hit all of them yet, and I probably won’t in the next two weeks, and I almost certainly won’t record them, but I am thankful for the inspiration that nudged me to practice and learn some more tricks.

8 Likes

That’s awesome, even just throwing around basic stalls on a fixie is super fun in my opinion. I feel like fixies make the basics so fun and satisfying in a way that they aren’t on modern unresponsives. Old Butterflies are really cheap to grab on eBay if you’re patient! The old wooden sparkle ones are very highly regarded, and I quite like the 70s/80s plastic Butterflies. Common prices I’ve seen ranged from like 5-25 bucks at the high end for the sparkle ones. So they’re really affordable compared to modern boutique fixies still.

5 Likes

Anyone have tips for Split the Atom? I can get through the first part but the throw always dies out on the brain twisters. Have tried practicing just brain twisters on the fixie and found a similar experience.

I was having the hardest time with Bird when I rewatched the tutorials and found I was trying to land it too far forward on my finger. I still have a hard time, but I can land it.

I have 4/7 filmed. Don’t know if I’m going to make it.

Shoot the Moon poses some interesting logistical challenges (low ceilings, not great knees, winter) but I can reliably Lunar Landing a Breakaway and I can Hop The Fence so I think it should come together? Varial similarly seems really close to a kickflip, so it should be doable.

3 Likes

Use a thin string and your least responsive fixie. Throw hard, but don’t get rushed. Focus on form rather than speed.

7 Likes

In the last like 8 months I’ve only ever seen them at Joann Fabrics.

@YoYoExpertGarrett are you guys getting any of the new mold batches from Duncan?

3 Likes

@TheThrowingGnome has is right. Was thinking almost exactly the same thing before I read that response. I noticed the string would rub against the yo-yo in the middle of the rotations, and starting with a solidly straight throw followed with very careful movements, keeping the strings as close together as possible seemed to be the key. I only did it once, so I’d say keep the camera rolling and keep at it.

2 Likes

I’ll have to work on keeping the strings aligned better. I have a small collection of fixies, so the butterfly is about as unresponsive as they get. I prefer the Legend Wing, but I can’t get as far through Split the Atom on it, and the gap appears significantly smaller.

3 Likes

Good tip! I stopped at Joann fabric and grabbed an orange transparent butterfly. Must have been a better run than the blue one I had at home, because I landed my very first attempt at lunar landing!!! Btw I should have been more clear that I was asking about finding solid plastic butterfly’s since I only ever see transparent. Thanks for the tip tho, I haven’t personally seen any yo-yos in brick and mortar stores.

3 Likes

The solid ones are oldies none of the new stock will be solid (so far). The ones you see with colored bodies and white caps with the logos are from the 70s. They’re heavy and wonderful, and fairly common on the’Bay, but can run up to $40 a piece unless they are hidden in a lot.

5 Likes

Here’s my entry for the 7 Mystical Gates of Fixed Axle February

I really enjoyed this challenge. Man, it was soooo satisfying to land Bird!

14 Likes

Not trying to enter again, I just thought I’d share my progress!

It’s been such a rewarding month playing nothing but responsive yoyo, and honestly it may be the style I mainly stick to from now on! A big thanks to Ed Haponik for the contest; regardless of the results I think I’ve won something eHxtraordinary, haha.

13 Likes

I thought for sure I would be able to hit all of these in one take by the end of the month. Well, that was hubris! But I still got 'em all done (I think?) I used a Spinworthy Knack that Glen made for me from cypress, my favorite wood.

17 Likes

Hmm I’m getting a “video unavailable” message when I click.

Hopefully all of this is visible if not I’ll reshoot it tomorrow now that I’ve learned how to do proper ufos😂

https://www.instagram.com/p/CagXn4IMsRf/?utm_medium=share_sheet

5 Likes