Fixed Axle FeHbruary! (Win a DeHcade)

Alright! LAST DAY FOLKS!!! Still got time, but not a lot, so get them vids in and join the 15 official entrants we’ve got so far.

Honestly whether you enter or not it has been SUPER wonderful to see so many people working on these elements and fixed axle in general, so thanks for contributing to a great month and what’s become a super cool yo-yo tradition. :slight_smile:

Winner will be picked by a 2-factor random draw tomorrow by Andre and myself!

9 Likes

TFW February is over

7 Likes

@adamantiumpops alerted me to the fact that my initial video was missing split the atom (accidentally left out when editing), so here is take two.

10 Likes

Haha I missed it too! Thanks for keepin it honest @adamantiumpops

2 Likes

Here’s my entry (split in two parts to fit on imgur):

All landed on a Butterfly or Legend Wing.

Apologies, I’m not that good at shooting and editing video :grimacing:

Thanks @edhaponik so much for putting this on! I really challenged myself and learned a ton.

Edit: I was informed my zipper stall lacked somersaults, so I’ve re-uploaded the second video with MOAR SOMERSAULTS!!!

5 Likes

I knew he was good for it!

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who made it through the gates, everyone who gave it a shot, and everyone who just threw a bit more fixed this past month.

@AndreBoulay and I will draw a winner at random later this afternoon!

18 Likes

Thanks for doing this, Ed!

Thanks @AndreBoulay too!

I was able to do all the tricks but didn’t have time to pull together a video. However, the challenge motivated me to learn “Bird” and “Varial,” so I’m evidence that it did serve what I imagine was the real goal.

Now I can finally play with the Al Freehand, I got in a trade from @TheThrowingGnome at our January meetup. It was at the end or the month and I haven’t thrown it one time!

10 Likes

Thanks @edhaponik and @AndreBoulay for the contest. I had a lot of fun with my fixies this month, so I’m a winner already. Cheers!

13 Likes

Alright… We did a thing… or… Ok we TRIED to do a thing and I sort of messed it up…

BUT we did effectively record the random selection of the contest winner who was… NONE OTHER THAN…

@ferrocile!!! Congrats Brian!!! PM me your address, and we will get your yo-yo out to you!!!
THANK YOU to everyone who participated in the contest and to @AndreBoulay for facilitating it and for being such an awesome advocate of fixed axle and yo-yoing in general.

Hope you all had a fun month and I hope you keep throwing some fixed axle!

EDIT: hahaha it hadn’t occurred to me that he had JUST said “I’m a winner already” in the previous post!!! Kind of amazing. Nice karma, pal. :wink:

21 Likes

Thanks @edhaponik for putting this on!!!

You are the true fixed axle hero we have always needed! :heart:

15 Likes

Too funny! I’m just glad I got my submission in before I broke my hand (literally happened the same day)

20 Likes

Oh, man, I don’t envy you the break. Had a broken right wrist most of the summer of 2020, and it sucked. I did find it was easier than expected to learn to throw left-handed, which in the end was the only thing that kept me sane. Couldn’t do literally anything else. Hang in there!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been practicing some left handed looping a bit. It’s not too bad though. I should only have the splint another few weeks with any luck.

4 Likes

I hope you heal up fast. Congratulations on the win!

2 Likes

Congrats @ferrocile and to all the other competitors. Thanks @AndreBoulay and @edhaponik for running the contest and especially for Ed for cross posting the contest with enough time for me to enter.

5 Likes

Love ya pal! Thx for doing it!

1 Like

Congrats to the winner!

Hey @edhaponik , now that we’re out of Fixed Axle February and into Modern Responsive March, what would you consider the next 7 tricks to learn after last month’s?

9 Likes

Haha sure thing. Far be it from me to avoid assigning homework to kids who crave it!

Unfortunately I am all out of DeHcades lol, but if you can pass these 7 gates by March 31, I’ll enter you in another giveaway and see if I can find something cool to send the winner. :slight_smile:

Same rules as before, but since it’s “Mixed Axle March”, I’ll let you hit em on any responsive yo-yo.
See if you can hit:

Mystic Dump (1/2-flip from Bro to Trapeze Stall)
2x Eli Hop (hands must touch)
Interrupted Plastic Stall (from Planet Hop)
Stop N Pop (sidestyle Stop N Go popped to quick Bro-Stall regen)
Backhand Flip (start and end in Undermount Stall)
Tape Measure Unwind (Breakaway regen out)
Double Sidewinder

16 Likes

Just started responsive on my own last month and I will be very pleased with myself if I hit at least 2 of those tricks. Going to work on mystic dump and double sidewinder!

4 Likes