Fixed axle February, a reminder

Sure. As long as sleeve is fixed and not rotating. (Which is what I assume you mean)

1 Like

I think he means something like a sleeve that you’d find on a Fireball. Which is to say that the sleeve DOES rotate.

You may be right. I was thinking of the sleeve on a No Jive.

1 Like

I was talking about the sleeve that some TMBRs have.

TMBR Morrison Description-
[i]"The Morrison is a new take on traditional looping yo-yos. It features a wood body, but yet has a precision take-apart design, a metal axle in a wood sleeve, a great classic yo-yo shape and an innovative dimple response inside.

Each one is handmade for a unique, but precision, fixed-axle throw!"[/i]
Hope I helped!

EDIT: Hey Vegabomb, notice I haven’t been derailing ANY threads lately? :wink:

1 Like

I guess, technically, that Fixed Axle February and No Bearing November are different. Because No Bearing could mean something other than Fixed Axle, but We really should pick a month and stick to it, or decide to do both.

Those appear similar to those on a no-jive - i.e. they don’t spin.

Generally any trick you can do qualifies, but old school, responsive yoyo tricks are probably easier.

Kens’ World On A String probably has good responsive tricks - Ken's World on a String - Basic Yo-yo tricks for beginners

p.s. I looked at the TMBR store…
That light blue on brown is a really horrid combination for a web site. Almost totally unreadable.

So between the Irving, Morrison, and the Fremont what do y’all suggest?

Same here!
Now someone tell me what to buy.

Get Love Joys for full sized, Baldwins for undersized. TMBR sleeves are not like Yomega transaxles, they do not rotate. The walnut axle merely covers the metal axle threads.

Does that count as fixed axle still?
What about the Irving?

Yes - it’s a fixed axle, same as a TK no-jive.
(All current TMBRs)

What size are TMBR’s classified under?

Is the Irving a good choice, or would the other ones be better?

I have experience with the Irving, Irving pro, and Fremont. The Fremont is my favorite. But honestly, I would suggest making your selection based on aesthetics. They all play great, so just pick the one you like the look of best.

1 Like

Between this topic and the “Wood is Good” there seems to be a lot of interest in wood/fixed axle yoyos. This is a good thing. Along with this interest there seems to be a desire to go all the way and get cotton string as well. this too is a good thing…

But a word of caution for you kids that are used to your slick 6 or 100% poly string lasting forever - cotton wears fast and tends to break easily as it wears. For some people it breaks on the yoyo end at the axle or just at the rim. My own experience has been that it breaks more readily at the slip knot. Some tricks tend to put more stress at the slip knot, looping for example. What to look for? Actually it’s better to listen. If you hear a snap, crackle, pop while yoyoing, it’s time to check the string. That’s the sound of string strands breaking. It won’t be long before the string snaps. You can also inspect the standing end of the string where the slip knot pulls on it. It’s a high stress/wear location. This is where you will see the initial fraying of the string. Look and listen carefully.

1 Like

Also keep an eye out for inexplicable snagginess. This is broken strands catching in the gap. Throwing hard to release the perceived snag can be bad for things like lamps and innocent bystanders.

1 Like

I feel that I can do very well with a fixed axle. But what I do is get a water Dropper, and drop one slight drop of water on the axle to make is smooth. Not sure if it’s safe but duncan Butterflies are cheap. No harm done.

My imperial just broke into like 7 pieces. :frowning:

That’s actually impressive.