Fixed Axle February 2024 - Week 2

I like super responsive.

Throw a breakaway, have it regen around the index finger of each hand into another breakaway, then catch it like a normal trapeze. Same for Houdini mounts.

Sometimes the yoyo likes to flip on the regen and land on the string the wrong way.

1 Like

Super noob question, but what string do people recommend for a wooden fixed axle and can that string effect how responsive a throw is?

2 Likes

Most people use 100% cotton for wood.
It’s grippier than poly.
However, sometimes poly works great too. But it really depends on the specific yoyo and string combination.
I use extra fat poly for some of my wood yoyos, particularly those that have high walls or wide gaps.
I encourage trying out different strings to see what works best with your yoyo.

4 Likes

Here is my progress report after one late night of practice. I’m a newbie so take my “advice” with a grain of salt, this is just whats helping me with Double or Nothing Stall.

DEAR BEAN COUNTER. THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY (Ill upload a better take later).

I took some advice from folks here and am playing with a string that has been loosened more than neutral via a few sidewinders. I also changed out of the cotton string to something else I have in my stock, although im not sure what its made of probably poly or something.

Oh I also noticed on the video that im leaving my pointer finger sticking up. Something i want to clean up too!

10 Likes

Nice vid! If you have a Butterfly shaped yo-yo it would be a little easier. That said practicing on Imperial shape makes you more precise :grin:

2 Likes

Oh 100%. Dont ha e a fixed axle butterfly, but im going for maximum accuracy learnage this FAF. Because I hate myself, apparently lol :melting_face:

2 Likes

Hi everyone! Here is my attempt for Week 2
All 4 tricks
Zipper Stalls (2x)
Makin’ Da Zines (2x)
Double or Nothing Stall
Bucket Stall

+Celebrity Trick
Interrupted Breakaway Finger Flip

20 Likes

Master of puppets is pulling strings!

1 Like

Looks like this song is about yoyos😁 And it was played on a fixed… bridge guitar made of wood😂

Here’s another supplemental tutorial for Double or Nothing Stall. I show a couple ways to get into it.

19 Likes

OH COOL! The second way is something i didn’t know i needed! thanks

2 Likes

Commemorate your Butterfly

9 Likes

Yooooo!
Here are my main 4 for week 2!

Double or nothing stall
Makin da zines x2
Bucket stall
Zipper stall x2

Using my Cajun spinner grand ecart and my ridiculous 70g glass from lkglass

I appreciate the tricks this week are easier than last week! Bucket and zipper was literally the first time I landed them so I also appreciate the fact this contest isn’t about perfection but rather participation :grin::grin: so if thst weird twist in my zipper stall disqualifies that trick let me know and I’ll reshoot. But I thought it was cool to get a couple new tricks for my “ol bag o’ tricks” and yes that bag is Irish

13 Likes

Here is my entry for the guest trick this week! Thanks Ed for this one!

14 Likes

Quick question for the trick tally counter folks …

I know we’re not trying to be too picky here, but I was wondering, does the trick count when you land it in the stall? Or do you have to regen it back up into your hand to count?

1 Like

As the resident, self-appointed bean counter; The trick counts when the yoyo is returned to the hand. (Not just the stall). Regens are acceptable.

Combo’s count.

4 Likes

This video was epic!

Thank you!

1 Like

Hello, thank you again Yoyoboomer Club for this event
Here is my entry for week 2 + bonus Trick

Thank you

18 Likes

Agreed. Return to beginning state to complete. Just wanted to clarify. Cheers!

2 Likes