Fixed Axle February 2021

This should go on a sign in my man cave.

2 Likes

Zipper stall and dump truck practice for me today.

11 Likes

Dont get me wrong I love my TMBRs but sometimes I forget how solid this thing is. Just great feel and response

11 Likes

9 Likes

I really like all the Spinworthy yo-yos. Definitely want one this year.

5 Likes

Once again, feel free to join us:

2 Likes

What’s the wood recommendation for diving/starting in fixed axle?

2 Likes

I’m a fan of these and they are easy on the wallet and available in lots of variants ;

8 Likes

Nice, I just received this one 2 weeks ago I believe, so I’m ready to start. My first half dozen throw was terrible, I felt this yoyo to be ultra light… I must persist more.

3 Likes

Yeah, after metal yoyos the Legend Wing feels like a feather tied to a string!

4 Likes

A major methodology difference between 1A and 0A is the throw. in fixed axle play you don’t need to throw hard all the time, you want the yo-yo to respond, and sleep times are not the highest priority. What helps is to play with a shorter string than with a typical bearing 1A yoyo, as this gets rid of unneeded slack. Another thing that Ed always points out is to throw for the trick.

Also read this;

9 Likes

I have enjoyed throwing fixies this month, mostly a PockeHt and a No jive. Haven’t played much with responsive bearing yoyos but have a Confusion GT I’ve never found a good use for. Kinda curious how everyone feels on where responsive throws fit in today. Is it to do the same tricks as fixies? Or simpler 1a tricks? Or am I missing a subset of tricks that take advantage of having longer sleep times compared to fixies while also being responsive?

1 Like

Hmmmm, thanks a lot Exmime!

I find it nice to be able to combine longer string tricks and stall tricks with a good responsive set up. Recently acquired an OG moonshine and with a thick lubed full size flat bearing it responds and stalls great yet excels at string tricks too! I run the Deeper State with a thick lubed full size center track and get the same feel, nice response and no snags on string tricks.

Some days I just feel like doing more than stalls, but still can’t resist a good kick flip.

4 Likes

The incredible way that 0a and 1a blend in responsive play is pure joy. For myself, the happy medium is a great way to gauge my progress of both styles and grace 1a play with the fun and silliness of fixed play.

4 Likes

Interesting. Thanks, guys. Maybe I’ll dust off the GT and give it a shot now that I’ve progressed a decent amount in both 1a and 0a since I last picked it up.

3 Likes

Wow I’ve inadvertently discovered that a sewing seam ripper might be the best device for getting a knot out I’ve ever used. Easily slim enough to fit in most gaps and great for digging into even tight knots

3 Likes

What learning a fixed axle trick is like…

14 Likes

To be honest, this is what it’s like when I’m learning any trick.

4 Likes

12 Likes