Every 5A tutorial source on the internet

X-Divisions are usually eclipsed by the popularity and accesibility of 1A, so any player who decides to take any X-Division seriously is a good thing.

In the spirit of 5A May and the ending of the counterweight patent, let’s compile every source of 5A information there is in this thread for everyone who decides to learn the style.

5A is interesting as a style. It is (of course) not as popular as 1A, hence the lack of material about it compared to 1A stuff. But it is definitely more vast than 3A and 4A, and (as expected), 2A.

Let’s get to the tutorials.

• YoTricks

Reigning as the most dedicated tutorial maker on the internet, of course this guys have 5A tutorials. Taught by none other than Jake Elliot, 2015 5A World Champion. Here’s their entire 5A playlist in order of difficulty.

• Miguel Correa

Excellent tutorial source with a lot of content that other tutorial makers miss, like 5A specific mounts, repeaters, etc. Miggy teaches in a series of levels, and the series of content gets very deep very fast.

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

• YoyoExpert

André made a 5A tutorial series along with his iconic 1A tutorials with ExpertVillage. Enjoy that sweet, nostalgic 480p.

• YoyoFactory

Tyler Severance and Miguel Correa filmed a short series of tutorials for YYF in the 2010 - 2013 era, which was the 5A hype era, sustained by amazing players such as Tyler, Miggy, Sterling Quinn and JonRob. Now that the patent has expired, Yoyofactory has made this videos public again.

• Slusny

Czech based yoyo store has some gems on this tut series that really have gone under the radar of a lot of people. Along with the basics, the offer some unusual tech/transitional 5A tricks that can be really helpful for those looking for something different than just E-Fans and Tanglers.

• Jacob Elliot’s 2014 5A May series

This series of videos are pure GOLD. Just a ton of really beefy, unorthodox, plain hard stuff from someone who beat Takeshi Matsuura at his own game. Take a look.

• Freehand Yo-yo Tutorials (Bryan Jardin)

This series of tutorials has not been seen by a lot of people and that saddens me. Bryan is a legendary player and there’s a lot of tricks here that could help you master other hard tricks in 5A. Baby Tangler is one of those highlights in my opinion.

• How To Be a Yo-yo Ninja: Freehand (Duncan Toys)

Finally, we have Duncan´s own series of tutorials, hosted by legends Rafael Matsunaga and Jack Ringca. This series of tutorials contain a very classic trickset, corporate-safe humor, and an interesting view at how Duncan intended 5A to be.

And that’s all. Have fun y’all.

30 Likes

Just wanted to thank you for this. I’m on a half-hearted journey to improve my freehand play and stumbled across this wonderful topic.

5 Likes

I just found this thread because you bumped it.
Thanks for putting these tutorials together in one thread @EOS44

4 Likes

This thread is super useful thank you!

3 Likes

Adding to this list: 5A Essentials by US national 5A champion Josh Yee
This series covers a lot of concepts essential to 5A, more than just specific tricks. An interesting and more in depth approach to 5A tutorials, I found them extremely useful. Especially the tutorial on glowsticking.

11 Likes

Bump now that it’s May. Good stuff in here guys and gals and other pals! Love these theme months to challenge myself to not stray from the theme. Went all February without bearings, and am so far doing well not attaching any yoyos to my fingers for May. Let’s do it!

8 Likes

Tyler Severance made a small 5A may series in 2014. I didn’t see it in the yoyofactory playlist of the OP post so I’m sharing it. Here is one video, it’s a 5a variation of mach 5. I think it’s pretty cool and relatively easy to learn.

I also liked these two tutorials
underwhip repeater
floating beesting
There are more, just click on the yoyofactory youtube channel and scroll down in their old videos.

3 Likes

I found the Easy 5a tutorials from Recess with Tyler Severance to be helpful. I wish there were more…

5 Likes

Thread got brought up again today, so I’ll just leave this here. Maybe the most comprehensive list of 5A tutorials in a single spot. They implemented an automatic machine translation feature, so it should be more approachable for a lot of people now.

6 Likes