Do You Prefer Long or Short String?

After getting back into throwing, I realized I definitely prefer a longer string.

It’s a bummer when you get a sampler or go to try something new, and the manufacturer quite literally “cuts you short”, lol.

I just got a 10 pack of Kitty First Class, and it’s out of the box shorter than I’d like. Bummer!

HOWEVER, I also have a Sochi and Twisted sampler that are nice and long! Long strings all the way for me going forward.

How about you?

5 Likes

Getting a sample pack with a longer string length is a good way to start experimenting your preferred string length for your trick setup and before you commit buying a bulk one. I experienced getting a shorter length from a certain string brand before when I start developing my own tricks and it lacks extra length just to accomodate my specific technical mount that also required a bit longer length.

2 Likes

I still have an OG 100 pack of Kitty reg from like, 2020 (old box packaging with the colored cat ears); probably over half of it left. I ordered a 10 pack of the first class assuming all Kitty string is just long out of the box; that was my mistake!

Is this the case with all Kitty string now?

2 Likes

In my observation, first class has roughly around 125cm length while the old made in philippine ones are shorter around 115cm. I have KS first class 10 packs on my drawer archive (Fat and Normal) and the only difference I feel for using it is the new one tends to have a bit extra tight torsion vs the old one that is soft. (Dunno if they are planing to release a tall type on the new runs)

There are a few string brands that sells 140-150cm string length in the market rn.

Interesting, the First Class I have here are definitely shorter than the OG ones! I’ll take a pic in just a few :sunglasses:

Sochi looks great though; surprised at how much spring/bounce said string has I’d imagine that’s amazing for whips and slacks (outside my wheelhouse as a thrower atm).

Have you tried stretching your string first before you laced it on your yoyo?
That works too coz it helps adding a extra bit of length, I highly recommend this method before you play. (Stretch + Cut + Tie a Knot + Play)

1 Like

What string length does project 44 string come in?

roughly 145-150cm on the late 2022-current runs

1 Like

Evan Nagao recommends using the end of the string to create a finger loop. It will allow you to get a couple extra inches out of your string

4 Likes

I’ve use this method before and learned from my vietnamise friend and I still used it today on my setup. but there one thing evan didn’t point out, you need to tighly knot the string to avoid getting loose. This happened to me before when I tried it and it flew my yoyo to the ground, remember double the knot or after you tie a knot on the string use a lighter to cut the excess and it helps to lock out the knot coz the poly material was burned.

1 Like

for unresponsive 1a, i like about 6 inches above my belly button from the floor. not sure that is really considered long. seems like folks doing crazy slack stuff are using way longer string… i’m new to slack.

for responsive 0a, looping, etc, i like wingspan, from my middle finger to about middle of my chest or a smidge longer or shorter if I need the yoyo to perform correctly ( proyos are weird to me in that regard but i’m not a looping master by any means, i’m sloppy.)

1 Like

Lately I’m doing floor to belly button, roughly 40-42 inches, and I’m around 5’11"

Short.

I’m exactly 6’0" on the dot, and I find I like going to about sternum-height. I’ll take some pics when I get back in for reference.

2 Likes

I’m 5’7", but have short legs and a long torso. I tend to use strings that come up to my solar plexus, giving me a bit of length to play with.

2 Likes

5’10” (and pretty proportionate, I think?) here, measuring floor to sternum for 1A. Not sure if that’s considered long or not, but it feels just right for me.

3 Likes

i made it a point to gradually get used to longer string, i’ve gotten to about from the floor to nipple length. but anytime i randomly have a short string on, it really is a lot more comfortable and plays way faster…

I like short. I like the closeness and control and at 5 foot 8 I don’t have much room for big flashy whips at my skill level without obliterating throws on the floor. I’m working slowly to get my strings longer, but I’m comfortable and even if my whips and slacks aren’t as showy as most, I’m learning. About four fingers above my belly button for now but I have a single string against which all strings are measured since I need repeatability in my life.

2 Likes

long string cuz ive got bigger hands

1 Like

i use shorter string for 5a and longer string for 1a. yoyopalace has cheap bulk long string that is pre knotted here on the YYE shop if you’re looking for long bulk :smiley:

2 Likes

I use ~42" string, which is about what OD delivers in their bulk packs. I’m 6’3".

The short-ish length doesn’t bother me at all, but I really like that they don’t need to be further shortened and they are pre-tied. 200 fewer chores per bag.

4 Likes