Dennis McBride

Grand Yo-Yo Master Dennis McBride, a teacher, mentor, “yoyologist” to many throwers, has passed away. Dennis was THAT DUDE when it came to yo-yo. Early on winning so many contest before the modern day of yo-yo in the early 90s resurfaced and transitioned the play of today. I know his stories but there are so many more that can articulate them in a deserving way. Personally, without Dennis, there would not have been a Sir Rick and I am so honored he was my greatest mentor when I took this task on professionally. His VHS videos was a breath of fresh air for many of us old school guys and girls. He had this trick called “Atomic Rocket” a picture trick that I learned, forgot, relearned and forgot again. Still one of the greatest picture tricks IMO. Thank you good Sir for your warmth, mentorship, and dedication to our weird little world we call yo-yo.

54 Likes

Thank you for posting this Rick.
Dennis McBride was my introduction to advanced yo-yo play, and I’m certain the
main reason I was able to find and enjoy everything that followed after watching those
VHS tapes over. My real interest with yo-yos started with finding his instruction, he represents
the best of what yoing can be to me.

14 Likes

Rest in peace, Dennis. :pray:

18 Likes

RIP Dennis. Your VHS tapes were what started me on this journey. I still have them. :frowning:

18 Likes

Here is a link to his episode of yoyotalk from a few years ago. RIP Dennis McBride and now I will have to put off finishing my checklist of meeting all of the yoyo national/grand masters so until we finally meet I’ll have to enjoy rocking my old hummingbird and watching your tapes. https://youtu.be/AWHuIeKuOEY?si=Ki2M8B_13e0ln5Ia

10 Likes

:broken_heart::broken_heart::broken_heart:

RIP to a legend of our community. Literally hate this.

9 Likes

What a day. RIP

21 Likes

Thoughts to his family. :cry:

For many of us in a certain age group, Dennis’ VHS tutorials were instrumental in us playing.

Here is one of my Dennis signed yoyos.

20 Likes

I love his McBride roller coaster trick sooo much

10 Likes

Atomic Rock looks so sick. It’s like a front style version of Nuclear test Trick but cooler

7 Likes

Oh man…sorry to hear.

His VHS tapes where really inspiring! Long before youtube it was hard to find ANY yoyo videos. He was a great instructor and inspired so many yoyo’ers . He will be missed.

11 Likes

Rick, is there an obituary posted yet? How did he die?

I just bought a yo-yo from him last week and asked him to sign it, but he forgot! Shocking to read that he’s gone now. There was no indication in my correspondence with him that anything was wrong.

11 Likes

Oh man that’s terrible news to hear. R.I.P Dennis.

I remember his slick tricks and the hot tricks / cool tricks VHS tapes as well as the illustrated trick books. They helped out immensely and made yoyoing a lot more accessible and tricks more widely known before the internet was more widely available to people back then.

:yo-yo: Throw a YO for Dennis and learn a trick from his videos!

9 Likes

Thanks for posting. Will do a McBride rollercoaster in his honor.

6 Likes

Like many others here, Dennis McBride’s VHS tapes were among the very first exposures to advanced play for me back in the late 90’s. He was the one who initially inspired me to learn 2a and i’ll forever have the tune of one of his late wife’s songs in my head… “spinnin… spinnin every night and day… spinnin all my cares away, doing the tricks I know will bring a smile.”

RIP Dennis!

6 Likes

Dennis was soooo much a part of the early Yo-yo puzzle. He was immersed in yo-yos and how to get people enthused and involved.

Dennis was one of the first Veteran yo-yo players I met waaay back when I started modding yo-yos.

We would talk about yo-yos and his knowledge of yo-yo movement and functionality was in depth.

I claim no special friendship status with Dennis.

But… We were friends and his encouraging me to keep at it’ was a great motivator for me.

We sort of lost touch after his wife died

… I can still hear her singing that yo-yo song at Nats.

I’m gonna watch every one of my videos again. I still have a VHS player. I’m gonna crank it up and go back in time.

RIP to a True OG. A Showman… a top shelf motivator… And demonstrator… A true Grand Master and friend of so many>. Dennis McBride.

On button pushed……first tape installed… it’s Showtime

20 Likes

Hey everyone. I’m Dennis’s great niece and I wanted to pop in and say these responses to his passing have been wonderful. I was searching his yo-yo career for a kid I work with and found this page with him as a topic. He was battling a rare cancer which was the main cause for his passing. He would have loved to know so many still cherished his yo-yo legacy. He was an amazing yo-yo master, pastor, father, uncle, and so much more. Thank you for such kind words and keeping his legacy alive with all his signed yo-yos and VHS copies. :heart:

31 Likes

Hey, I’m his great niece. He was battling cancer. Up until last week everything seemed fine as he was getting a surgery that looked very promising. He was just more tired than usual, but then, we as family, heard he passed in the afternoon last weekend. Knowing that he was still contacting people inquiring about his yo-to legacy is amazing.

23 Likes

I play his trick, Mcbride’s Rollercoaster all the time. RIP.

2 Likes

Do you know who did the drawings for those DVD covers?

1 Like