Contest: design your dream colorway, with prizes, ends 3/5

The last vote on colorways inspired me.

If you could design a new colorway, one that’s never been done before… what would it look like? Post a picture :framed_picture: of your dream colorway!

• Must be a new colorway never before seen on any existing yo-yo
  • Can include laser engravings
  • Your colorway should not require hand painted art or manual intervention, your design should be, at least in theory, possible to automate and produce a “run” of using current yo-yo machining and anodizing technology

Submit your proposed new colorway in the replies, below, and after one month, on 3/5/2019, the three best submissions as judged by post :heart: likes will win one of these faaabulous prizes

1st :1st_place_medal: NIB AHAY Sagittarius 7075 in rainbow, with extra NIB bearings, strings, and pads
2nd :2nd_place_medal: TopYo Selene in half-swap blue/grey swirl
3rd :3rd_place_medal: SF SF in birthday

How do I make my own colorway image to submit?

You want the goodies, you’re gonna need to learn some image editing skillz. These kinds of skillz might come in useful later in your life, who knows? Just to get you started, maybe grab a blank yo-yo image like these

image image

(These are just examples, you do not need to use these specific yo-yo images. Pick whatever you like!)

Once you have the yo-yo to “draw” on you’ll want to follow online image editing tutorials using the photoshop type image editing tool of your choice to overlay designs / fades / splashes / splatters / engravings / whatever on top of the yo-yo template.

If you’re feeling extra frisky you could also do this sort of thing in 3D modelling software, the kind of software you would actually design a real yo-yo in.

But computers scare and frighten me, Jeff!

It’s perfectly acceptable to draw like an animal, using pencils, markers, crayons, pens, finger paint, whatever you like, then take a picture of it and submit it.

Winners Posted

See this post for the winners! Congrats all!

16 Likes

I have a few ideas but im not good at editing and only made them in a drawing app with the cadence as a template :sweat_smile: (not cropped)

Rose gold with Dark pink

Blue stripes added to the last idea. Possible through different application or doing the first fade first, stripping, and then adding the blue ano.

Black, gray, rose gold, gray, black. Possible through multi layer anodization or through different application. (not with dipping, or ano, strip, ano, strip etc.)

Not sure if they already exist but i have not seen them before. Fade is modified angelo fade tho

11 Likes

dk%20dk
some really crusty editing. much less of a dream colorway, but a fitting design. the engraving is the donkey kong logo. more of a suggestion cough cough @sfyoyos cough cough

i call it the dk dk lol

16 Likes

image I present the long awaited: Marmalade colorway. Some of the colors aren’t exactly how I wanted but I don’t have prisma colors, oh well. I did it on a bi-metal so that’s what the rims are. It would be an orange and white(silver) acid wash with a darker orange splash over it. And then the ‘M’ is a laser engraving that would be on the rim. It stands for Marmalade and is a pair of cat ears. I’m not a crazy cat person, I just love my best friend. image image

20 Likes

BestColorwayEverNoMatterWhatJeffSays

37 Likes

My son and I each designed one. His is an elegant selection of colors to catch the eye of the owner forcing them to pick it up and throw it. He purposely left a majority of the aluminum clear so everyone can see the heart of the yo-yo it’s soul. To hide the beauty of the aluminum that it is crafted from would be a real crime ,like Brad Pitt covering his face with a mask.

Mine is just an orange and purple half swap.
IMG_20190206_142918926
IMG_20190206_142924155

17 Likes

I call this Vintage Sunburst. I doubt anyone could anodize a texture like this though. It would probably have to be made out of actual maple instead (and then stained appropriately).

sunburst_yoyo

Take two with gold rims and alternate inner cup:

sunburst_yoyo_v02

…and spinning:

sunburst_yoyo_spinning_v02

13 Likes

Well, you can hydro-dip, which led to things like this…

image image

6 Likes

yoyo

I made it using paint 3d.

413c6bd7ab83fec601585f2dba29b13cb27698ac

The second one I tried to do it by seeing splashes on yoyo.

Untitled

The Third one is inspired by the shutter.

yoyo

Design inspired from compass.Untitled2

11 Likes

I would like to see more optical engravings on yo-yos… Here’s a rough mockup I whipped up in a few minutes, I call this… THE DIGITAL!

Obviously I cannot enter my own contest (yay me!) this is just an example of what you can do in 5 minutes of basic messing around with a paint program.

10 Likes

4b
Let’s see if more ideas will pop up before the trial of this 3d software ends :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

pinksilver

I’ve always wanted a straight color stripes colorway. Silver and Pink would look cool.

14 Likes

I would love a metal flake three-tone sunburst after seeing what you did. More guitar finishes, please. I’ll see if I have the computer skillz to try this too. I almost ordered myself a custom guitar in that aforementioned three tone. Went a totally different route eventually, but it was pretty.

3 Likes

Yeah painting / powder coating yo-yos opens up a lot of possibilities. See this amazing topic: MB's Powder Thread! Come & see the power of powder!

1 Like

8b
12b
:rofl::rofl::rofl: This is fun~

26 Likes

This is coming out great, can you share your technique? Which software is it?

5 Likes

I’m using Adobe Dimension and it’s great and easy to use for slapping on artwork and material onto 3D models.
Then I found some yoyo models on some free database and dragged it into Adobe Dm, I’ve found out flat hubs are great to work with since you don’t have to deal with picture distortion around the spike!
You probably can model a bi-material yoyo using Blender or CAD software and slap on different colorway and material separately too. I might try and do that next.

btw, which one of mine did you guys liked the best? :joy:

7 Likes

Just by experimenting, I got an interesting design. The yoyo is one that @joshxz designed.

This isn’t my dream colorway, but it would be pretty cool to see spinning.

I hope to be able to figure out how to create my dream colorway and post it soon.

test

8 Likes

This would be called Rising Sun. I like the idea of the inner cup being different from the catch zone. I really love how YYR did that with the red/blue Anomaly.

rising_sun_yoyo

15 Likes

Here is Hyperspace Jump:

hyperspace_jump_yoyo

Here’s another render with a slightly different inner cup style:

hyperspace_jump_yoyo_v02

…and spinning:

hyperspace_jump_yoyo_spinning_v02

As is typical of splash-type finishes with small details and no large graphic features, it tends to look like a solid finish when spinning.

24 Likes