Mk1 Design Contest

There’s a 00/30 Darkmode converge up for grabs, for free, if you design a cool & unique yoyo.

This contest is running on Instagram, but because I love the YYE forums you can enter here, too. Download the template at the end of this post, draw your cross-section and type in your specs and special features. Make sure to include notes/sketches of the colorway and any engravings.

Limit one entry per person - submit your best effort only. If you have some ideas you want feedback on, feel free to post those (separate of the template) and I’ll let you know what I think!

If you are a professional yoyo designer you are not eligible.

When I started designing yoyos it wasn’t clear where it would take me. There was almost a year between my first tiny batch of Diffractions and the first bigger run of 60. I always enjoyed talking to the handful of other designers I knew, and one of my dreams at the time was to collaborate with one of them to make something special. The Converge with @opyoyos is the product of such a collaboration.

Now I want to know what your yoyo dreams are. For this contest, use the template in this post and draw a unique yoyo with something special to make it stand out. Then, post it and tag #mk1designcontest and @mk1yoyos.

We’ll pick a winner after October 1st.

Contest announcement:

Here’s the template:

It includes C-bearing guts, but feel free to erase those if you want to draw something with a different bearing size + guts.

ADDITIONAL FINE PRINT:
You retain any and all rights to the design you submit. This is not a contest where I’ll produce the winning design, the prize is an actual physical yoyo that already exists.

You don’t need to add tags in submissions here since it’s YYE and not instagram.

14 Likes

:frowning: :frowning:

4 Likes

You’re semi-pro :stuck_out_tongue: go ahead and enter if you’d like.

4 Likes

I will see if i can learn how to design just to enter! This is a amazing opportunity! @MarkD you are a very generous awesome dude. Thank you. Good luck to all you talented folks on here.

3 Likes

Oh dude, always with the Instagram :frowning:

1 Like

Do entrants have to use that template in a CAD program or can they just doodle on that template?

1 Like

You can doodle on it, or print it out and use a marker/crayon/whatever and then scan it in.

5 Likes

Can we do it in CAD?

1 Like

Sure!

2 Likes

Okay here we go! :smiley:

Tags: #mk1designcontest 1 and @mk1yoyos.

9 Likes

16 Likes

Would I be able to just design it in fusion and then get a screen shot of the sketch and put the stats? Or do I need to use the template?

2 Likes

You can paste your sketch into the template. Make sure to fill out the notes on the left!

2 Likes

Lmfao I actually have a design with a wiggle like this in it that I want to have made, just a lot smaller.

2 Likes

Sometimes you gotta run with the weird ones haha

4 Likes

Ill shoot ya some renders when I get home. The design is right up your alley!

3 Likes

I’ve always wanted to design a yo-yo. This is a great thing your doing to get the cranial juices flowing :+1::heart:

3 Likes

I call it the Hot Stuffer!!

It’s got blades for beating up the bad guys real good, flames of awesome and is powered by lightning!
It is green. Duh.

Also Shark with laser, kitten, unicorn!!

12 Likes

Yay! An excuse to use Fusion! I have zero idea what I’m doing but here’s my mockup!

8 Likes

Honestly thats a super cool cup!

3 Likes