Arc1 - Gemstones and new ideas

Since I just found out this category exists I figured it would be a nice place to share thoughts, progress, products and such on here.

Bit of history:
I’m one of those many creatives out there that decided it would be neat to bring their creations to the market. At some point not long after I (re-)found the hobby, I stumbled upon a yoyo design contest here on the forum: Mk1 Design Contest
My entry:

I still plan to run this yoyo so fingers crossed, this will happen somewhere in the not too distant future.
This contest and the fabulous reactions inspired me to produce a yoyo which eventually became the Gemstones: Gemstones YoYo by Arc1 – YoYoExpert

Mk1 Mark did the final CAD and came up with the spintop caps (he already had that concept and I guess Gemstones can be seen as the test bed for them :smile: ).
There’s still stock by the way :wink:

Next I envisioned a yoyo that curved out and in on itself sort of turning it inside out. This turned out to look beautiful but the manufacturer I chose was unable to machine these to perfection unfortunately. The first prototypes were all a different weight with if I remember correctly as much as 5 gram difference between the lightest and the heaviest. The ano was amazing though and I also had planned to give the option to customise the yoyo with screw in rhinestones and such so hopefully I will find a manufacturer that can replicate this ano and not mess up the design.
Here’s a sneak peek of the first proto run: Proto sneak peek

By now I guess it’ll be obvious to most that I tend to be a little less conventional with my yoyos. I prefer to see them as functional art than attempting to hit any performance goals.

So that’s the short history that leads us to the latest prototype that should become the next release :partying_face: (No, I don’t know when it will be released, I haven’t yet ordered the main run so I expect somewhere in 2024.)

19 Likes

That looks like it’s gonna be a fun throw.

1 Like

So far the feedback from people has been good! It has great EDC potential :smile:

I love mine Dan. Slightly more challenging than full size yoyos…but weirdly enough not underpowered despite it’s small size.

2 Likes

I love your style! It’s very distinct, especially with the intricate rim engravings.

2 Likes

Thank you! That means a lot to me :slight_smile:

Tiny update, the new model has gone into production! MSRP will be higher than the Gemstones, I have a very neat box idea that I will be using for at least one upcoming model after this as well and it will feature a ceramic D bearing. No bearing tool this time and I still need to source the string.

Apart from the yoyo I haven’t ordered anything yet so things may still change.

2 Likes

For anyone wondering.

Production is currently expected to finish at the end of March! Can’t wait to receive production pics :smiley: Meanwhile, here’s another nice picture of the proto version:

12 Likes

awesome!!!

1 Like

If anyone knows a reputable polycarbonate dyer in china that I can refer my OEM to, I would appreciate it if I can get their contact.

1 Like

How many yoyos need to be dyed? I ordered a boat load of Monarchs and they just hand dyed them at my shop.

160 so 320 pieces spread over 3 colours. OEM says the issue lies in that the clear bodies are already blasted and any handling and transport damage will result in very noticeable discolourations. :person_shrugging:

1 Like