If you made a yoyo to distribute, what would it be?

We have so many awesome companies developing yoyos for us. It is not a niche that will get them rich either, so it is very commendable that they put their time and energy into providing us with cool options that help keep the buying and trading aspect of things interesting and thriving.

If you feel like living vicariously through this thread and explaining what yoyo you would envision yourself bringing to the table, please do.

I would shoot to make a pocket friendly throw. 52mm diameter with a 33mm width would be a starting point.

The goal would be trying to get the weight to around 63g. I’d use 7075. The shape, it’s going to be organic with a highwall. I understand this will be a thin yoyo, so a lot of work would be put into place to get it as stable as possible with the dimensions and weight.

As much as I enjoy the modern responsive yoyos coming out, I would want this to be purely unresponsive. A 4mm gap (maybe a tad more), hand poured silicone and Onedrop ten ball would be the guts. Let’s go ahead and make it use side effects.

I want this thing to be the Twinkie that withstood world war 3. So yeah, I didn’t know what to call it, but now it has a name. Twinkie. So the finish needs to be one that will withstand the test of time. The below pic shows the shade of Hardcoat I would be after for that Twinkie look. I’d go with pure white side effects for the Twinkie filling look.

11 Likes

This was my “yoyo to distribute” the first design I did that really got me excited for it. 5050.
IMG_20211029_112519_567

Excited to see other people’s ideas for sure!

15 Likes

This is the kind of high-concept idea that I like to see! The very thought of it fills my mind with fun.

8 Likes

Literally every day I think about an inner ring bi metal version of @the_general’s KLR. 7075 aluminum base, SS ring where the IRG is now. 56mm diameter instead of 54. 63-64g instead of 67ish. Classic General Yo blast and two tone colorways. Call it the Commander. Picturing it now and I just KNOW it would be one of the GOAT bimetals IMO.

Also an inner ring bimetal One Drop Free Solo, called the Free Duo.

9 Likes

This is the Org-1 a prototype that was an idea of mine made possible with help from Patric at Dressel Designs & Eric from Fair Trade Yo-Yos.

16 Likes

I’d make an H-shaped bi-metal yoyo, something like the Wish or the Hinemosu, but make the rings outer ring. Ring interface would be something like the OD Draupnir or Star Trail. Gotta have enough steel there so it’s built to handle my jank play.

Incorporate a ski jump (it’s basically a single groove in the profile, see yoyos like the Boy, Summit, etc.) A small response bump, nothing crazy, just something small.

The gap width would be greater than or equal to 4.5mm because I like dem thick strings.

5 Likes

Coming soon to distribute to you all :slight_smile:

It’s called Perpetual by Motion Yo-yos

13 Likes

I would buy this for sure

3 Likes

It is beautiful, same with you @POspot

Is the process of getting a few prototypes made expensive (more than $700)?

It depends on the material. 6061 I believe would be the most affordable metal with titanium and magnesium being pretty expensive.

2 Likes

A prototype run of 5 monometals (6061, 7068, or 7075) is $550 base from FPM, a highly regarded machine shop; YoYoFriends is their “house brand” and many other brands use them as their manufacturer.

4 Likes

Fyi, you can get it much cheaper if you go thru FPM directly ^^

5 Likes

sneak peek of what I’ve been working on after learning how to CAD thanks to Mark’s videos, and endlessly researching what limited info I could dig up on yoyo design. Then I learned some basic Blender, and viola.

This is just a concept, the actual yoyo I’m planning to get prototyped is ever so slightly different. Won’t come with anti-yo side-effects obviously, that was just for the picture. I also don’t know about how a halfswap Ano/PC feels in terms of vibe… so we’ll see about that one. And at the end of the day, it’s my first design so I’m expecting to make mistakes and learning from them through a few prototyping sessions. Once I get everything squared away and get Shawn/David’s blessing/ok on it, I’ll feel more comfortable about sharing it.

And… home-made stickers.

Any feedback, help, or suggestions is appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing everyone’s designs and ideas. It’s cool to see what everyone’s preference is and what their dream yoyo would be.

15 Likes

You mean there’s a difference between Mythrow and actual FPM? So contacting mythrowFPM@gmail.com is a middle man?

1 Like

This is a cool thread and also a hard to answer question. I was first introduced to Yo-Yo’s back in the early 2000’s so for nostalgia purposes the types of designs that are similar to what I saw then, really resonate with me.

With that being said there have been so many amazing throws over the last 20 years it’s always a unique challenge attempting to break new ground and do something worthy of the history books.

IF IT WASN’T ALREADY MADE! The Duncan Mayhem would probably scratch that itch. Designed by a fixture of the community, and machined by One Drop what more could you need?

Of course I love the GWAY Brand throws but you already knew that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

14 Likes

Just send me an invoice for one if you ever get prototypes ordered, everything about this looks great. I feel like half swapping them would be a requirement to actually nail the Anti-Yo aesthetic. The stickers are really cute too.

If I had to make my own yoyo, I think I’d just want to pull a bunch of traits from my favorite yoyos. A hard H profile with an undercut, but with rounded outer rims to make it comfortable in the hand. Featuring dual rims and a fairly big diameter to keep it from feeling like a brick, while also being made out of 7075 to push as much weight as possible to those dual rims. It would probably be leaning towards the heavier side, maybe around 68g just to give it some more power and spin time. It would use snow tires for response, but have a wider gap than what most CLYW yoyos feature. I feel like binds are always so tight with snow tires that every throw just feels that much more powerful with them, and I don’t think I’d attribute this as much to gap width as I would just the response. But who knows, the gap width is probably would would change the most during prototyping. Also just to show my personal preference bias some more, it would have a glossy finish.

6 Likes

Love your design and colors (stickers are dope too.)

I’d almost reach out to Sonny and docpop and see if you could get their blessing to make it an Antiyo release if you wanted to go the Antiyo direction. Would definetly pop with those hearts

Going in a different direction, I can almost see a free hand cap on each side (now I am seeing a huge Antiyo heart in the Freehand cap, lol.)

Your color choices are awesome, if the swap creates vibe, maybe do the pink side in powder coat as well?

3 Likes

Thanks dude, appreciate it!

I’m in the middle of getting it prototyped right now, patiently awaiting the invoice from them. I probably won’t be selling any of the prototypes because they’re probably not going to play well - it’s my first yoyo.

I’ll be using the prototypes to experiment with the powdercoat halfswap since FPM doesn’t have a powdercoating option, nor will they do a halfswap anno on a prototype batch - which I understand.

Home made stickers, string, t-shirts, and some other goodies are in the works :smiley: once everything gets more fleshed out I will officially release it all.

3 Likes

Thanks Kretz!

I was thinking about it, but I’m just a lowly lurker peasant who’s not really “in” with the scene. I also don’t want to “piggy back” off of Sony or Docpop either unless they openly say “let’s work together.” I feel like if I did message them, they’re so nice they’d say yes even if it wasn’t something they wanted to do. I’m definitely inspired by the throws of the past, but I also don’t want to tarnish or ruin someone else’s design.

At the end of the day I was basically trying to make a modern Duncan Metal Zero that used side effects. It just so happens that Anti-Yo Side effects have the same aesthetic as the Zero. If they’ll allow me to sell the yoyo with Anti-Yo Side effects, cool, but otherwise they’re probably gonna come with UL’s or Flat Caps. Ideally it’d be cool to make a completely new SE design if Shawn and David were open to the idea - but again I’m not gonna push that button either. I’m just thankful enough that Shawn and David allow people to use SE’s in their design.

It’s funny you say that… my prototype design I’m having made is going to allow for FH caps so I can paint some and send them off with the yoyos. Lots of ideas in store for me, hope to launch everything soon.

Thank you sir. I will definitely look for every option possible on the halfswap, I would have no issue with doing two powdercoats instead of one of each PC/Ano. I just wanted to do it since I’ve never seen it done. Color choices are going to definitely remain what I showed, with a Clear version as well. I’d do more color options (unknown/YYE) if there’s enough interest.

Thanks for your input <3

3 Likes

Considering how bimetals often come with a premium price vs. monometals, it’s interesting to see the price difference for prototyping is marginal through MyThrow.

2 Likes