Homer Yos - Community Inspired Designs

I am flooded with inspiration! And, I have an overwhelming desire to maybe do something, I dunno…

So, I don’t want to make you a yoyo, I want you to make me a yoyo!!! If you could have a yoyo, what would it be? Specs? Material? Response? Shape? Anything and everything! Don’t be silly, be serious! I want to read and review and aggregate and understand what people want, not just what signaturists want. Not just what manufacturers are giving us. But the little shmoes too… like me!

PM me, write it here, I don’t care. DO NOT compare it to an existing yoyo. Speak for yourself, look into details on yoyos you like. Was it 7075 or birch? Was it a Dif-e-pad or poured silicone? Was it a concave bearing, or no bearing it at all? If you could build a yoyo, what would your Homer be?

Homer Yos - Community Inspired Designs

11 Likes

All of the designs ive posted in the CAD thread are yoyos I believe I would enjoy. I am also fortunate enough to enjoy the entire reticulated lineup. Besides that, id say we have pretty similar taste

2 Likes

This is close to my current design.

52x 42
Mid weight 54g

I can’t find much in the way of mid weight organics. Probably for a reason. Regardless this is something I have wanted to try for a while and maybe one day this will come true. For now more tinkering.

8 Likes

i’ve noticed our tastes :wink:

i’ve only popped in the CAD section, i’ll spend more time in there now. i’m really looking forward to reading some of the responses!

1 Like

For response I still love red silicone. Good old 6061 spend the money on a real grand finish. Heavily Blasted is preferred.

1 Like

I would make a around a 46mm yoyo with a medium-small diameter. It would be angular and light. Competition oriented but floaty enough to be fun. Probably a gap width that is on the tighter side for powerful binds. YYR DS bearing with 19mm pads.

1 Like

Always wanted a delrin or metal version of the kickside.

Maybe make the perfect 3a yoyo. Specs similar to this in a bimetal v type shape.
Diameter 56
Width 41
Weight 67

1 Like

56x43mm because bigger isn’t always better. 62g because I’m not a pro speed player. Should look like the Cold Fusion GT because it’s the one yoyo I always wanted as a kid but never could have. Black and yellow anodized halves in the GT shape, in 7075 aluminum because technology. CBC yellow response pads to go with the theme.

For a real Homer worthy idea, I’ve been thinking recently of a collapsible yoyo. So the halves can collapse into themselves, like plastic cones, when you want to fit them in a tight pocket. When you string it up and give a hard throw, the centrifugal force pulls the yoyo out so it expands to its full width. Patent pending.

2 Likes

i love the real homer worthy idea comment too :rofl:

keep them coming team. i’m curious what us rattling in you folks’ brains…

Skon made the card with this same folding idea.

1 Like

where’s @PCaliyoyos?

1 Like

I’d want to go really all out if I had the option. I’d like to see a bi-metal organic made from Magnesium and tungsten weight rings. Around 55mm in diameter and 45mm wide. The goal weight is tricky, but Im thinking around 64 to 65 grams. It would be fairly unassuming aesthetically, but be a beast in the performance category. Really I just want to see another Mag throw.

2 Likes

Skon card? What?

The deathrobot mg sounds like this

3 Likes

2 Likes

after pulling out my mechanics of materials book today, i was curious about that… i know there have been hindrances previously, but a conversation doesn’t hurt

Well I am a big fan of the Death Robot, but organic the Death Robot isn’t. Im not sure how the other specs stack up. I’d have to look them up. Also I didn’t think those were tungsten weight rings?

1 Like

I think they’re stainless

1 Like

Ya, it’s not a novel idea, but there is no reason those two materials wouldn’t compliment each other in a bi metal design. Its just both materials are very difficult to machine. In the case of magnesium it can be straight up dengerous to work with as well. Between raw material costs and the tooling you’ll be going through I would imagine the costs would be through the roof.

1 Like

That sounds right. Looking at the that picture I suppose it definately has an organic look. My ideal would have more of a traditional organic profile than the “butterfly” shape.

1 Like