Contest: design your dream colorway, with prizes, ends 3/5

(ClockMonsterLA) #49

I call this Vintage Sunburst. I doubt anyone could anodize a texture like this though. It would probably have to be made out of actual maple instead (and then stained appropriately).

sunburst_yoyo

Cheap trays of watercolor paint at Walmart. Little bottles of acrylic paint there are 50 cents. Or use Sharpies. Every house has Sharpies in a junk drawer.

Well, you can hydro-dip, which led to things like this…

I only use Crayola colored pencils. Pack of 50 for under 10 bucks. Nice design you made!

(Victorian YoYos) #53

Yeah I do as well. And thank you for your kind words

(Victorian YoYos) #54

Imagine Damascus steel…

(shubham) #62

I made it using paint 3d.

The second one I tried to do it by seeing splashes on yoyo.

The Third one is inspired by the shutter.

Design inspired from compass.

(shubham) #63

@YoYoExpertGarrettI like your design.

I would like to see more optical engravings on yo-yos… Here’s a rough mockup I whipped up in a few minutes, I call this… THE DIGITAL!

Obviously I cannot enter my own contest (yay me!) this is just an example of what you can do in 5 minutes of basic messing around with a paint program.

Let’s see if more ideas will pop up before the trial of this 3d software ends :sweat_smile:

I like that pink and blue one :slight_smile:

(shubham) #67

Yes the pink and blue one is good.

(shubham) #68

@codinghorror good side cap.

(r/Throwers Mod.) #69

I’ve always wanted a straight color stripes colorway. Silver and Pink would look cool.

(Robert Shaw) #70

I would love a metal flake three-tone sunburst after seeing what you did. More guitar finishes, please. I’ll see if I have the computer skillz to try this too. I almost ordered myself a custom guitar in that aforementioned three tone. Went a totally different route eventually, but it was pretty.

Yeah painting / powder coating yo-yos opens up a lot of possibilities. See this amazing topic: MB's Powder Thread! Come & see the power of powder!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: This is fun~

This is coming out great, can you share your technique? Which software is it?

I’m using Adobe Dimension and it’s great and easy to use for slapping on artwork and material onto 3D models.
Then I found some yoyo models on some free database and dragged it into Adobe Dm, I’ve found out flat hubs are great to work with since you don’t have to deal with picture distortion around the spike!
You probably can model a bi-material yoyo using Blender or CAD software and slap on different colorway and material separately too. I might try and do that next.

btw, which one of mine did you guys liked the best? :joy:

(r/Throwers Mod.) #75

The one with paintbrush like strokes looks really nice.