CNC Spinworthy?

It’s releasing here tommorrow at 8pm EST, everyone!

17 Likes

I have to disagree with this @mable. I believe the Steadfast is pretty good for horizontal.

As for meta, I don’t at all see why it wouldn’t be good for that. It has decent moderns specs.

DNA is pretty good on it too for those who care.

2 Likes

My point was more that yoyos exist on a spectrum where if you’re really focused on wanting to do those types of tricks, this probably isn’t the first yoyo you’re going to gravitate towards.

It’s not by any means bad for that use case (throwing current modern comp tricks), it’s just very atypical for what people gravitate towards that style of play. If that’s your primary focus in your trickset I’d imagine you don’t care about having a longer spin time that the Steadfast provides because you won’t be playing out the spin of your yoyo, you’ll be throwing smaller combos with more intention within the time limit of your freestyle routine.

I still kinda stand by that point because if that’s what you’re interested in throwing you’re probably going to want any of the modern comp yoyos pushing on or past 50mm wide, with an emphasis heavily placed on ease of movement over sheer spin time. Although again just to reiterate, the steadfast can be used with no issue in this way. Yuta is on the MSG/Aster, Jason Liu is on the Collapsar/Seraph, narrow-leaning 70g+ comp yoyos are trading trapeze width boosted consistency for extra stability and spin time to power through mistakes that stress the spin of the yoyo.

I’m just of the opinion that no yoyo is the best for everything, and trying to quantify and decide what you do/don’t like certain yoyos for helps justify and explain why we even own multiple yoyos in the first place.

The Steadfast is a fantastic yoyo atypical to the vast majority of the yoyo market right now, and is a great option for people who just want to play yoyo for longer on a single throw, and be able to make more mistakes that compromise the spin of the yoyo without entirely running out of spin. I think that’s the primary reason to buy one.

6 Likes

Surely competition players value stronger spin. It wouldn’t make sense that many now use bimetals if that wasn’t the case.

2 Likes

But, like mable said, there’s more to a competition yo-yo than the strength of it’s spin. Otherwise everyone would be competing with Buddha Kings.

@MaximShoots might be able to weigh in more here, ik this sort of thing was in the feedback for the Reflection from competitive players that prompted the design revisions between the original and its successor.

1 Like

Oh there’s definitely more to it than long spin.

2 Likes

It’s definitely an interesting looking yo-yo, mable’s description seriously piqued my interest since I also prefer mono metals and have tried and enjoyed a lot of the ones she mentioned

Are the black anodized ones that YYE has also hard-coat?

1 Like

I hardcoated 4 here on Aus just to see whether it could have been done at the quality needed for yoyos. I’m pleased with the results. The ones here are just black type 2 anodised as normal.

3 Likes

I own one of the hard coat models. Very cool throw. To me, it doesn’t feel too heavy. The weight seems to work well for it. Not a lightweight though. I really like that finish.

Enjoy the throw my friends
kgb

2 Likes

Ah gotcha. That’s really encouraging that you have a local shop that can do it, I don’t think there are many here in the US that can (at least, not for a reasonable price in small quantities)

1 Like

Well, it was quite expensive actually, but if there were to be a secon run of steadfasts, I would do them all hardcoat because its a high quality finish in feel and durability.

A second run of Steadfasts is crazy person’s talk though.

7 Likes

Yeah i absolutely love how my other hardcoat throws feel, guess I’ll have to find one on the BST eventually :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your support, everyone. The Steadfast had a good first day on the store with most sold already.

If they all sell out soon, I will consider another unresponsive release.

13 Likes

I am so glad to see it be a success.

Quick question I would love your insight on.

ZGRT had a wooden unresponsive release. I’m not sure if they were made in house or outsourced. The one I got had more vibe than I was comfortable with, but I’m not knocking them, it’s the nature of wood.

The two wooden unresponsive yoyos I have tried that you made were extremely smooth for wood standards.

How hard would it be for you to crank out a run of wooden unresponsives? Is there an easier way to accomplish it than you having to handmake every single one?

I am ignorant on the medium of wood, I wish it was as simple as calling Onedrop and telling them, “I am mailing you a black walnut tree, I need 200 unresponsive wooden Parlays please.”

3 Likes

Surely glad the sales are going well. I could tell you were concerned. :heart::heart:

2 Likes

I had no idea. It would be cool to see it.

Hard. It would take very long, and cause me to constantly question my skill as a woodturner with every failed half.

I know Jensen Kimmit has made several runs of wooden unresponsives, and frankly I don’t know how he does it consistently. Sure, his designs are evenly weighted which reduces failure rates, but even so, his skill in consistency is remarkable. He must have a forstner bit the exact size of the cabal guts seat. That’s the hardest part for me.

2 Likes

I’ve seen John gates has an unresponsive wood and I’ve seen folks rave about how smooth it is. I imagine it takes allot of effort on top of the immense work of just turning wood on a lathe in general and making something good.

Also excited for the cnc spinworthy success. Hoping to see these sell
Out quickly.

That’s mostly because it’s made of plywood. That makes the consistency far greater.

Also, his design is quite evenly weighted. I want to go for designed that are more rim weighted, like this previous one I made.

8 Likes

When I get into my workshop in January, I’ll work on making a few unresponsives.

7 Likes

I absolutely will be speaking with you then. I hope life is good your way

3 Likes