New manufacturer looking for suggestions

I’m a CNC machinist who recently got back into throwing,
I was wanting to ask you guys what you would like to see in a yoyo.
Any suggestions you guys have would be more than welcome.

5 Likes

A spike or a dimple in the cups is awesome. I personally also like tight gap widths

2 Likes

I would recommend just finding attributes of things you like specifically from different designs and mashing them up into what you want. I would never narrow down a list for a new company cause I feel that it might kill possible creativity or original designs. That being said whatever you do come up with I look forward to hearing more about. Make sure you get it play tested by as many people as well for proto feedback.

3 Likes

I thought most people prefer wider gap-widths to allow for more string layers.

2 Likes

There’s a lot of shapes that haven’t been fully explored yet… bimetal W and mini W is what I’d like to see.

Organic has been done to death. But can never go wrong. I’d like to see more organic hybrid shapes like the don.

1 Like

I think a W-shape design with flat rims closer to the outer diameter/rim edge could be interesting if that is a viable design.

I wish I was a machinist. To make my own yo-yo. That’s the dream. But I like seeing lots of rim weight and creative ways to get there.

I have more fun seeing the person make something they enjoy than try to guess what others want.

The code 1 and 2 went the route of asking for community input and I found them a bit boring myself.

2 Likes

Yeah most people also play with longer string than I. My string is shorter than 1 meter /39 inches and a tight gap width really helps me do good binds.

I suggest using the grippier pads on wide gap width yoyos if you want tight binds

Can you recommend some grippy response pads please?

I have noticed that the yoyos that sell well are either made by well established companies or have semi specific specs. I would suggest your first design be something 55-56.5 mm in diameter, 45.3-47 mm in width with a weight between 63-65. There are of course exceptions to this but making a well thought out and well prototyped first offering with these specs could help you more quickly appeal to the masses. A unique shape and support from reviewers is also very helpful.

If you don’t care about selling and just want to make yoyos, make what you like and tweak designs until you make a yo-yo that sends tingly joy up your spine whenever you throw it.

A designer exploring creative artistic expression is really all that matters. Machining is an art. Designing is an art. Yoyoing is an art. Just be an artist and you can’t go wrong.

Happy yoyo journey!

3 Likes

I m no expert but focus on rimweight. V shapes or W shapes would be nice. Something like a spike or something in the cup. My best advice would be try a lot of yoyos and steal elements from all of them

Are you open to prototyping?

1 Like

Clyw Winter Tires. Idk if they make them in 19mm size but they r really grippy. Like really grippy. Also yoyorecreation pads.

1 Like

I like yoyos with fingerspin dimples in the middle and thumb-grind lips on the rim. I think a bead-blasted finish is preferred over shiny.

I’ve found that I like a gap width around 4.6mm or so. I prefer floaty feeling rather than fast.

I also don’t like yoyos with really short axles. Longer axles are more durable and easier for me to screw together which is important to me personally.

Ivan

Hard to have a long axle with a dimple.

1 Like

A full tungsten throw. Not sure how hard it would be to machine or how expensive it would be.

I’d be happy to share my yoyo design ideas….
Please we can discuss at rwshouse@gmail.com
Thanks
Rock