Beating a dead horse.... undersized yo-yos (51mm OD or less)

Yes or no? I still don’t completely see the need for 57+mm OD yo-yos.

2 Likes

I guess there’s not a need, but some people are after as super spinning as stable as possible.

Are we really losing that though? One of the more stable yo-yos I’ve ever played/had was the YYR Clashcube.

Dang. Now I want another clashcube.

I’m a big fan of yoyos around 53mm diameter. Nah, I don’t think we’re loosing much spin over smaller sized. Not enough anyway.

3 Likes

50-53mm is my sweet spot. I’ll jump on board for anything that’s 50mm, but, admittedly, even those feel pretty small to me nowadays since most things I come across are in the upper 50s.

My eternal dilemma is that I dislike throws that feel too solid. Finding powerful throws in that <51mm range that still have some float is a pretty daunting task imo. That’s where the 52-53s really hit the nail on the head for me. Small enough to fit my ideal preference, but just big enough to not feel overly dense.

Personally, I will sacrifice plenty of spin time for a fun little undersized thing though. With all that being said, I love throws of all shapes and sizes. I just wish the industry would give the little guys more love… and stop making everything so damn wide. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

The Clashcube and Six were exceptional for their size due to how they were built. But it’s extremely difficult to get that kind of stability and performance in a more traditional design, something like the messiah. Which is still great for its size! But definitely still can’t compete with full sized models.

Honestly I’d be interested in seeing more lightweight, undersized bimetals like the Ministar 2. I do enjoy the smaller size and if you could use steel rims to give it a little boost that’d be great.

1 Like

Started around 2007, so hearing you say undersized is 51 or less sounds right to me, hah. So many awesome throws in this size range over the years, and I still haven’t tried a messiah…

*edit: oh and yes

2 Likes

My favorite stuff is 56mm and smaller. Anything smaller than 50mm feels wrong though.

That’s what she said.

3 Likes

54-57 mm diameter 42 to 45mm width, 63 - 65 gs.
That’s my range right there with some wiggle room and some exceptions.
I have big hands so undersized stuff is extra undersized to me.

1 Like

Yep, same for me.

1 Like

We the spec bros. :100:

Thursday - Rain City Skills Loonie drops with a 31.8mm OD :wink:
Retro Rocket is 51.5mm as well, so close.

4 Likes

The canary being there makes it have a feeling like no bigger yoyos. There is something special about a low diameter but also having a regular size width. Bless thy CH

1 Like

There is? Someone needs to explain it to me, cuz I don’t get it.

1 Like

This thread made me want a Hashtag again. Added to my BST listing you scoundrels.

It just feels so smooth and chill compared to regular diameter. It gives a zippy feel while being slow. Its hard to explain. I guess the correct feel is effortlessness