What happened to my undersized yos?

Looks like larger yos are all the rage now. Huge widths and diameters. Everything everyone is talking about and is looking for is larger. Back in my day (please picture grandpa simpson) it was all about that 50-54 mm diameter. 888s set the bar and everyone was into it.Do they still make top end throws in undersize. The good part is i picked up a messiah for $35 lol.

8 Likes

Iā€™ve been out just as long if not longer (recognize your name from yyn) and Iā€™m okay with this trend. Iā€™m not a fan of undersized stuff in general , I just donā€™t understand why everything is so wide.

4 Likes

Yeah see

the typical / average diameter of a yo-yo today is ā€œShutter diameterā€ or 56mm, but sometimes even more. The Horizon is 59mm.

I expect that to skew a tiny bit larger over time, as wellā€¦ I donā€™t think weā€™ll get to Diabolo size all the time though, I do think it will level out maybe at the Horizon diameter.

6 Likes

I read this post before and was going to add my two cents but decided I didnā€™t know enough about the time from ~2012-13 until now to really evaluate. I would just add that while undersized stuff was certainly trendy before it was by no means the standard, tons of ~56 mm stuff was still popular.

Yo-yos were definitely less wide though, thatā€™s for sure.

1 Like

The Shutter came out in 2013 didnā€™t it?

Are you sure? Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s accurate, looking at yo-yos from 2012 and earlierā€¦

1 Like

When i started in 2007, the 888 was the yoyo. 50.5mm. Do we call that undersized? I always considered it to be. I also call it perfect. Much smaller isnt really playable

3 Likes

By todayā€™s standards, yeah. Look at YYF BOSS

Competition level performance in an undersized frame - The BOSS is here to change things up! As the first undersized yo-yo to come out of the YoYoFactory workshop in a few years

Diameter? 50.75mm

2 Likes

The og bvm was like 53 something. My beloved c22 was about that size. All i have now is a $30 yyf?

2 Likes

Look for a Sturm Panzer Pakfa. 50.8 mm diameter. Really good playing yoyo. They arenā€™t cheap though.

4 Likes

Has that ever stopped me vega? :wink:

3 Likes

Undersized, narrow yoyos are unstable and a little outdated in todayā€™s age. 56/43 is the standard today. Weā€™ve discovered thatā€™s the optimal size for stability, spin time, and overall performance.

The YYR Draupnir has been the gold standard since it released in 2013

2 Likes

Stuff that hovers in the 50 range is few and far between these days. Iā€™m also big fan of that diameter, so I always have my eyes open for them. They donā€™t come out often, but they still get made. Ones to look at are Recess Snack and Little League, the TopYo Photon is also better than I thought it would be.

1 Like

I think I messed my post up a little, I should have specified from about 2007 up until that point. That point around 2012 to 13 seems to have already started shifting, now that Iā€™m checking release dates more thoroughly. But the Dark Magic 2, Genesis, Superstar were all super popular and around 56. YYJs line up in general and most plastic yo-yos were around that 56mm mark as well.

Definitely not being as thorough as I could be right now, slightly inebriated tbh.

Edit: also I think ( basing this on memory) some of the smaller brands (not Duncan, YYJ or YYF) were really pushing smaller diameter stuff. ILYY was popular, the Project came out somewhere in there, like Dizzo said the BvM was super popular and the Skywalker was under 54mm.

One of the most popular yo-yos, the Hitman was around 54, and YYF definitely had a decent amount of undersized stuff for the time. 888, Skyline, DV888 and the Fundametal line overall.

2 Likes

If you want the very best of undersized in terms of todayā€™s yoyos I would look at the General Yo Ministar 2. I think that size is right up your alley and it can keep up with the full sized competitions yoyos today. About as good as it gets for that size.

In terms of monometals I would say the Messiah is still about the best for that size.

4 Likes

You got a Messiah for $35 :scream: I remember those always being out of my price range. lol. Maybe I should look again.

2 Likes

Ya, i wasnt even looking for one. They also had the stardust (52mm) and stargeyzer (54mm)

1 Like

Itā€™s crazy how the old YYRs were collected religiously, especially in Japan. Back in the day people bugged for anything YYR that was bead blasted and today no one caresšŸ˜­

1 Like

Well, if you have those 2, im buyin! Lol

1 Like

Man for real though. I really miss my classic YYR collection, thinking back now itā€™d be amazing to still have all those throws right now.

3 Likes

I just got the new run of the OD Yelets. Itā€™s undersized or ā€œperfectā€ as you say. Just finished an extended session with the Yelets, ultralight SEs, DS bearing, and Airetic standards. Can vouch for the legit ness of this one.

2 Likes