What happened to my undersized yos?

Hey @HVizier, do you still have the photo of David’s YYR case? I recall you posting it years ago on YYN. It was insane😳

2 Likes

I’ve had similar thoughts about stuff I got rid of. Just remind yourself that:

A. You had a reason to get rid of them at the time.

B. The you of now is different from the you of then, so don’t kick the you of now for that decision.

4 Likes

I still have that phone. Let me see if I can charge it lol.

4 Likes

It just dawned on me… the tiwalker we all adore also fell into this range. So many consider it the best ever, yet, isnt that too small?

2 Likes

My sweet spot diameter is right around 54 millimeters. I can play bigger, but my cut off is 56.

2 Likes

Awesome, he told me he had about 120 of them and I’ve seen his General Yo case.

1 Like

53.3mm versus 50mm (888) though.

Technically the 888 is ever so slightly under 50mm per one yo-yo site spec sheet…

1 Like

I remember when 50-52mm felt like a norm. This is when I got into modern unresponsive yoyoing. There were full sized throws as well.

Today there’s some nice ones, just not as wide spread but not completely silenced either. The Genxs is a nice one, as well as the Snack and Photon. The Duncan Exit 8 looks promising too!

Then there’s the whole league of yoyos that are smaller than undersized like the 66% yoyos, popstar, etc.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I’m lucky to have a Stargazer and a Sleipnir still in the case. Would still love to add a Messiah if anyone’s got one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I miss my Messiah :weary:

I got a Sleipnir that should be comin in tmrw tho :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Have you tried the Recess Snack? I carry it daily, plays great.

1 Like

I always considered the Sov undersized.

2 Likes

50.8 MM
That certainly falls into the category.
Wish I could find one…

2 Likes

I’ve only got the one, you remember it I’m sure. But I’ll keep an eye out for you.

1 Like

I have a GenXs and it plays better than anything I own from the past except for my Genesis, and even then it’s on par. The only yo-yos I have that can really hold up to my Kayak and GenXs (my only modern new 1A stuff) in both performance and feel are my Genesis and Skywalker, and the Skywalker lags a little behind. The Genesis was ahead of its time.

3 Likes

I think the Skyva & the wedge are the limit for diameter for me, anything bigger feels bulky.

Sounds like a lot of people still do like the slightly undersized throws.
Imagine a 52 mm draupnir. Mmmmmmmm

2 Likes

I was thinking about undersized throws recently and wondered if their are any that play floaty at all. I love undersized but they all feel heavy. Is floaty not possible without losing all spin time? I assume so.

1 Like

I think the floaty feeling is really about weight distribution, and it’s probably more difficult to achieve the right distribution when the overall size is much smaller. Maybe something that was undersized in diameter but wider than average would help with that. Idk I’m no yo-yo designer. I listened to an interview with Jeff Pang where he said he could tell how a yo-yo would play based on shape and specs but I can only do that with very specific specs and shape.

1 Like

It’s tougher to make a smaller “floaty” yoyo, but not impossible.