Chasing the Unicorn Bi-Metal

I want to add a new Bimetal to my collection. I’m looking for that elusive combination of power, stability, agility, and a yoyo that just feels good on the string. Dare I say it… a high-performance bimetal that’s fun to play.

I’m looking forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,
Danny

2 Likes

Do you have a Duncan GTR-JS? I know I recommend it all the time to everyone, but no one I’ve seen ever regrets picking one up after I’ve recommended it. Out of all my bimetals (of which I def have a few), it mops the floor with everything else.

It has that perfect combination I think you’re looking for of power, stability, and manueverability/agility. It feels REALLY good on the string and is shaped super comfortably (more rounded than angular) so it’s really fun to throw.

I’ll tell you this: I wish someone would’ve told me to buy one way earlier in the game, it would’ve saved me A LOT of money lmao

12 Likes

Honestly, at a certain point they are all just kinda good. They play more similar than dissimilar and you really can’t go wrong choosing a high end bimetal.

In this thread, you are likely to get a bunch of replies of people stating their favorite yoyos for whatever reason they fit their preference.

If I had to pick some good all arounders…

If you like V’s, I would probably go with a Peregrine.

If you want something rounder, GTR-JS.

7 Likes

Wow! That is what I call a recommendation!

2 Likes

Knowing more about your favorite monometal (and how you would like a bimetal to differ) may help narrow it down.

Edit: Also price range.

2 Likes

I thought about that, but wanted to leave it wide open. I feel that sometimes the best recommendations come out of left field.

That being said, here’s what I have and Iove them all for different reasons:

Three Damian Pucketts:
Wisteria (brass rings)
Power (brass rings)
Hollow (steel rings)

ZGRT:
Basilisk D
Durendal

And I’m wide open for suggestions.

So, yeah, my collection has a lot of room to grow.

1 Like

I have enjoyed everything I have played from yoyofriends (2 mono, 2 bimetal). They have a decent range of bimetals which are overviewed here:

Obviously info straight from the source, but I can say that my impression of the models I have played match with how they are described.

3 Likes

Motion Yoyo Accelerrated. Get one while you can.

It’s fun and comfy, bouncy and stable and good performance. Honestly one of my current favorites. Get Shiny if you’re going for looks or matte if you wanna do grinds.

7 Likes

I am one of the people Spence advice to buy one as you can see in the link he posted.
I can again confirm that this yoyo is in my daily rotation (yesterday I think I did play at least 2 hours only with it) and it is just mental, I switched the bearing with the YYR DS bearing and became even better (the original bearing is very good too).
I think this throw will never leave the case of “daily throws”, it is incredibly comfy in the hand and play like a beast, the price seems fine to me (I am someone that never spend 100$ on a throw, I bought it second hand) but to be honest if I knew it before I will spend those money for a new one.
The spinning time is really really amazing, as Spence said plenty of agility and stability also if you like to play horizontal, amazing catch zone as well.
I think it is one of the best yoyos in my collection and that I have played in general.

I wish I was able to find this version with the Spear of Longinus because it looks super cool, this yoyo is a must have!

6 Likes

Very interesting…

2 Likes

Bimetal… unicorn… anything from @JEA86 . They are releasing Accelerated and that thing is amazing! They have plenty more coming si if you can’t get one grab the next!

4 Likes

Track down a shaqshine fg

2 Likes

If you want the real unicorn you should get the Hendiatris. There is literally nothing else like it.

1 Like

I dont know too much about bimetals. But the Converge is super unique to me.
It has a tonne of power and stability due to the good sized rims but the body seems thin as foil so the yoyo doesnt weigh a lot and moves at a great speed.

The iq is also great fun but less of a min-maxed design.

My favorite has always been the CLYW akita

4 Likes

This may be an unpopular opinion. I like my Motion Accelerated, but I don’t love it. I know Motion gets a lot of praise on here and deservedly so. They make a fine product. But as soon as I threw the Accelerated, to me, it kinda felt like a not as good GTRJS

1 Like

The two yo-yos you are speaking about couldn’t be any further apart in specs. I would expect them to play nothing alike. The GTR JS is a fantastic YoYo, but it’s full sized, the Accelerated is undersized and vastly more rim weighted

This is the old apples to oranges.

3 Likes

Blockade. If you can find one they’re really quite good.

I might have to respectfully disagree with you here. I don’t think they are that vastly different. Sure, the Accelerated is an undersized throw. I acknowledge that. But honestly, they really have the same type of feel in the hand. They are far more similar than compared to a V or H shaped bimetal for example. Shape wise, they are fairly similar.

Even then the specs aren’t massively different other than the GTRJS is full sized.

Lastly, maybe it’s the size difference at play, but the Accelerated doesn’t feel as rim weighted as the GTRJS. Or at least, to me, it doesn’t feel as powerful.

2 Likes

hyper biased take: Find a Reflection on BST :wink:

Now the real rec’s:

• TP BGM Proto, Hinemosu, Aster
  • YYR Toru/Bae, Tone or Inevitable
  • C3 Socius, Hydrogen Crash or Progressiver
  • YYF Boost, B-grade Will or Edge 3.0
  • Goodlife Pharaoh Plus
  • Japan Tech Kagerou
  • Something Anglam CC
  • YoyoFriends Nucleon or Hummingbird.

I derive fun from a yoyo which is hyper stable, easy to control and can tank though long combo’s hence the list above. Some are more agile and some are less, however typically maneuverability can be adjusted for.

2 Likes