Yoyofriends bimetal lineup guide

15 Likes

Honestly the nucleon and the tachyon are amazing yoyos, would highly recommend them to anyone interested. Nucleon is just a great all around bimetal, if you’ve thrown a magicyoyo z02 chosen and like that yoyo, you’ll love this one. Tachyon is just unique, very very zippy yoyo but doesn’t suffer from crazy instability issues like a lot of the very zippy yoyos out there.

4 Likes

I recently purchased a Nucleon. It is a great throw.

4 Likes

I really want to get a Tachyon, but I don’t like the colors. I’m hoping it will get another run that includes either purple or red.

1 Like

Peregrine is my first yoyo from YoyoFriends and I must say it’s the closest thing to a Draupnir that I have ever played with

8 Likes

If you get a chance to try a Hummingbird (or Tachyon, I suppose) let us know what you think. I have a Peregrine and multiple Hummingbirds and I’d say the Hummingbird is more like a Draupnir than any other yoyo in their catalog (I can’t speak for the Tachyon since I’ve never played one, but it also lives in Draupnir territory in terms of its design and purported performance).

1 Like

Yes a hummingbird is next

1 Like

Once I saw that this video came out I knew I had to watch it.
So far the Nucleon is my go to yoyo because it provides the power and control I am looking for when learning new tricks. Great yoyo.
Can’t wait for the new 2023 yoyo friends bimetal.

6 Likes

I’ve heard so many great things about YYFr, and I finally got to see what the hype was about with the Shortcut. It is serious quality for the money. Now I’m wishfully thinking about getting a bimetal from them.

I generally hate light yoyos, which I feel like most bimetals tend to be; I would, however like something a bit faster than my monometal. I’ve had my eye on the nucleon, both because it’s their cheapest and one of their most powerful. After watching some reviews, the tachyon has piqued my interest despite its low weight. For those who have played it, how powerful is it?

2 Likes

The nucleon isn’t really a fast playing yoyo for like rail combo type stuff. You might like the papercut. It plays heavier than the weight it is because of the big rims.

I realized how good FPM makes yoyos that don’t degrade over time if you have to open them up. I now have the Peregrine, Baryon, Nucleon, and Papercut. All great yoyos.

3 Likes

Having played both the Nucleon is more powerful and plays kinda like the grasshopper GTX 2 if it were a bit more v shaped. It is a tank for sure and I liked it a lot but I already have a grasshopper GTX 2 and I like its rounded shape more than the Nucleon’s shape given its power. It is a slower paced throw, and I do like that a lot, but if speed is what you’re going for, it’s probably not the right bimetal for your goals.

The tachyon is surprisingly powerful given its weight, and I honestly like it a lot even though I tend to really like heavier throws. I think it balances well between speed and power personally so I’d say it’s worth considering if you wanted a fast but powerful bimetal. Honestly one of my favorites from their lineup having tried most of them. Hope that helps!

4 Likes

Do you have a favorite, out of the bimetals?

1 Like

I’d probably pick the Papercut as my favorite. I been playing the Peregrine alot too lately but I like the way the papercut plays overall the most.

5 Likes

Thanks! I don’t have a Papercut yet, but I do have a DaVinci, which seems a bit similar. My favorite is probably my Peregrine, edging out my Nucleon.

3 Likes

Interesting! That does help, thanks!

1 Like

Good to know. I’ve had a Shortcut (of which the Papercut is a bimetal version), and it plays insanely heavy for its weight (I have a throw more than 2 grams heavier that’s far faster). Not exactly sure if that’s the feel I’m looking for, but I may have to just give them all a try and do some trading.

The Shortcut is 66.2 g, not exactly a lightweight.

I really wanted a Da Vinci and then the Papercut came out so I ended up getting that instead. I feel like down the road I may grab a Da Vinci. Curious how similar they play myself. I agree with you on the Peregrine over the Nucleon. I like the Nucleon but sometimes the excessive power can be jarring and other times it can be great. I like to use it for learning new tricks.

1 Like

That’s fair, but like I said, I’ve had heavier (68.3 g) and very similar that felt way lighter than the Shortcut. In fact, I’ve seldom liked throws below 65g. I think it just comes down to weight distribution. That’s not at all to say it’s a bad yoyo - really incredible quality for the price tag.

1 Like

Never played the Papercut but Da Vinci is quite stable, feels a lot faster than my closest comparison I own which is the Klondike. They’re almost the same diameter and width, so it’s like a lighter, zippier version. It’s a really good feeling throw. I was hesitant at first because of my preference for heavy yoyos and it being in the 63g range but it’s one of my faves.

4 Likes