Post your bi-metals!

Was surprised there wasn’t a bi-metal showcase thread, so here it is! Post what you got and feel free to discuss your favorites, which one you think is the best, etc… I also love these types of threads because they can help people decide what to get, if they’re looking at getting their first bi-metal, for example.

Here’s my humble 12 as of February 2022:

Draupnir, Hummingbird, Peregrine, Vulture
Butter, IQ, Flash, Flashback
Wish, Akita, G2, Grasshopper GTX

My goal with this collection was to pick up some of the most talked about and “crowd favorite” bi-metals, in order to see for myself which one plays the best (to me)/is my favorite. The crazy thing is… these are all so good that I have trouble deciding which one is best. In fact, these 12 yoyos all claim spots among my most favorite yoyos in my entire collection. However - the Butter, Draupnir and WISH really are something special IMO.

Hoping to pick up a CLYW Wildfire, G2 Valhalla, and DD Kanto next.

Post yours and feel free to discuss!

21 Likes

These are the only bimetals I’ve been playing with this year

14 Likes

I’ve owned a bunch I didn’t like and sold. Currently I have the grandmaster, gbp, and voyage.
Voyage is the only bimetal that I’ve really loved (almost sold it when it split my forehead doing post whiskey horizontal) glad I still have it.
Gbp is pretty awesome as well. If you have one and don’t like it, shorten the string and don’t use any other YoYos for a week. It’ll change your mind
Grandmaster is ok. Still havent spent a ton of time with it.

13 Likes

I don’t have one :confused:

5 Likes

If you ever get to the position to get one I’d obviously recommend. I’ve yo-yo’d off and on since 7th-8th grade and I’m 22 now. Just got my first bi metal in 2021 after telling myself they were over rated and I was so wrong… the feel depending on the model you get is very nice.

8 Likes

CLYW Akita
CLYW Kodiak
CLYW Wildfire
YYWS Redacted
All very nice throws in my book.

15 Likes

Stuff.

18 Likes

I’ll take that to mind thanks.

2 Likes

Small group in my collection

12 Likes

Yyf flame with mazal top ceramic bearing. My #1 practise yoyo. (bottom center)

Magic yoyo z01 focus blue with rainbow rims. My first bimetal. (center right)

It’s replacement in Steel blue with black rims. Because I hit the ground too much with the rainbox one and it got crazy vibey. So I wanted a new smooth one. (Top center)

The Vosun Eragon. Good, stable. But it doesn’t do it for me somehow. So if someone is looking for something like it. Hit me up. (center)

And last but for SURE not least…the Thesis Hypothesis. Dayum…amazing smooth and makes me want to own more Thesis yoyos. (Center left)

9 Likes

I couldn’t agree more…

RWB 4x Butter
Hummingbird
SIGTYR
RESTO
DROID
Stormberry
ghost 17$

6 Likes

Have definitely uh… splurged… a bit since my last post, so I figured I’d update. Have been buying way less organics and monos recently and have somewhat shifted my focus into copping more bimetals. I guess this somewhat aligns with my desire to become a better player after going to Nationals (it was inspiring for sure!)

Here they are for anyone wondering:
Draupnir, Hummingbird, Wish, Wildfire FG, IQ
Blizzard FG, Peregrine, Banshee SS, GTX, GTR
Butter, Akita, Vulture, Valhalla, GTR-JS
Flash, Flashback, Kodiak FG, Arbiter, Ministar 2

I gotta say… the Duncan GTR-JS is a masterpiece of a yoyo. Have had it for a little over a month now and can confidently say it’s my favorite of the bunch and the best performing yoyo here (which I feel like is a big statement since there’s a Draup in here). I underestimated Duncan for the longest time but their bimetal lineup is banging and their team is crazy now - they’re killing it recently. My next pickups are gonna be a GTR Justin Dauer edition cause he’s the homie, and another GTR-JS to use when out and about (and cause I can’t believe what a good yoyo it is).

Feel free to discuss your fav bimetals here, it doesn’t have to be exclusively posting pics of what you got. Thought it’d be good to jumpstart this again since there have been so many great new releases lately.

15 Likes

The only bi-metals you will ever need

Perpetual and centrifugal (motion) :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Great update! I’ve basically been walking the bimetal path for the past few years of throwing. I love (relatively) difficult and longer combos, so bimetals just fit my throwing style (and lack of skill) so much better. For better or for worse, my favorites tend to shift over time. I completely agree with your GTR-JS assessment. It’s an absolute masterpiece. :ok_hand:t3::100: I’ve been playing it basically exclusively for the past month. I’d been gravitating towards heavier bimetals (Autoscopy, M+, etc…), so the GTR-JS took a bit of acclimation. But, everything about it is just so fantastic. I’m in the same boat as you, as I just ordered my second one today. :grin:

What would you say are your Top 5?

3 Likes

Hell yeah man, that’s awesome! Top 5 out of those guys are: GTR-JS, Peregrine, Wildfire, Wish and Draupnir

2 Likes

I have a similar history with yoyoing. Learned the basics on a butterfly/Duncan wheel then moved onto a mosquito to learn basic 1a and looping (also acquiring any “cool” yo-yos from random visits to you stores like yo mega stuff, some other Duncan’s, and some old yyf)

First true unresponsive was a YYJ legacy and I was so sure watching Andre I would never need another yoyo! Then I saw the dark magic and fell head over heels in love with the big stainless rim look!

After learning up the ladder and being an intermediate thrower, I had saved some allowance and birthday and Christmas wishes and had gotten some cool yo-yos over until I was in middle school. I had stuff like an 888x, YYJ atmosphere, mini mo, one drop dingo, pop star og, c3 di base 2, but never any Bimetals… the legacy and atmosphere were about as close as I got.

Now fast forward to 2020 and I’m working as a security guard watching cameras all day and had a lot of down time. I decided to pick up one of my old yo-yos, and threw a couple tricks, and decided it was time to jump back in to my old love.

After messing around with my old yo-yos, I decided I wanted to buy a new yoyo, but upon doing some research into what current yo-yo models looked like, I found the over all normal size of yo-yos had grown a little, and there were a LOT more Bimetal options around!

So as I went down the rabbit whole spending a highly unhealthy amount of money in a short period of time, i acquired many a Bimetal, and have tried a lot of the ones out there! But not all of them to say the least…

I’ve bought, sold, traded, yo-yos and my collection was at around 100yoyos, but is now sitting at a (imo) healthy 40-50 yo-yos. About half of that being currently for sale or trade.

Yo-yos like the turning point collapsar, hinemosu, yo-yo rec od draupnir, chopsticks gorilla, Valkyrie, yo-yo factory butter, meerkat, iq, flame, etc. have ultimately taught me what I do and don’t want in a yo-yo, especially as I progress with my tricks moving more toward a “advanced/pro” level of play, but in the most casual way. Nowhere near competing, but def have some tricks under my belt and a sponsor ship to call myself “advanced”.

I have widdled down my Bimetal collection quite a bit, but these are some of the ones I’ve owned since I jumped back into yoyoing in 2020.

I will say my favorite yoyo in the world right now is the Motion yo-yos Perpetual, with the yjyoyo Galaxy time running in close second!

P.S. I realize now after taking about 30min to add these photos by sets of 5 into the post, that this response is horridly long.

(And yes I realize by making a P.S. in the post that I am further elongating my response…and also by literally acknowledging THAT fact, I am even further lengthening said response… and also by LITERALLY acknowledging THAT fact I am even further lengthening said response…… and also that by acknowledging THAT fact I am even further lengthening said response…. And also by ackwnow0393&;;!!:&:&$ndjfnfmgtkeicjcndkeskifjrmesicjfnrmeixcidjdm’…………………

tv static and sobbing in background

Lol. I do apologize for its length, though I hope those who visit this post might appreciate the trip down my memory lane. I certainly have. Will delete response if necessary. Thanks All!

18 Likes

Wow !!! That’s a really nice bi-metal collection you got there man :grin: I wish my collection was like that :laughing:

3 Likes

Quite the post, thanks! Appreciated reading your history my man. And the pics are great too (but maybe edit them to be a little smaller, it’s a lot to scroll through lol)

Would love for you to expand on this since it’s a little unclear - are you saying that you think of these throws as your “standard” or baseline for what you like or DON’T like? (Or maybe a mix of both?)

2 Likes

Definitely a mix of both! All of these pictures are just the yo-yos I’ve owned over the years, but most of these are already long gone to new homes! I remember pretty well how they all played and what I liked and disliked about them, but at heart, I am a Bimetal junkie. Not a whole lot of mono metals or plastics in my (now) small collection.

Each Bimetal I ever owned taught me a mix of what I like and dislike in yo-yos.

This also allowed me to figure out what I personally WANT in a yo-yo. My personal baseline for my preferences.

Keep in mind, while I know I love power and aggressive shapes (mainly h) {my baseline), that thirst can be satiated either in a lighter floatier package (cog lite, Galaxy time, plvs Vltra, gbp, etc) or in a more solid feeling on the string type of package (perpetual, Paladin, vulture, etc), or of course something in the middle.

Some Bimetals are so heavy and powerful they feel like a rock (avoiding controversy here as this is COMPLETELY subjective) and some are so light and floaty you almost lose control (again subjective and also kinda limited by your own skill).

I’m not the fastest player, but I can crank a high speed speed combo and get some enjoyment out of it. So throws that are a super light and floaty tend to just be a little too much for skill set.

Hope this sheds some light in the story. Glad people are enjoying the novel lol. I just really like Bimetals haha.

4 Likes

I checked out your YouTube. You’re really good. If you want it I have a KO you can have.

9 Likes