Do you prefer bimetal or monometal?

I think both types are fantastic, but I prefer monometal because for one thing they’re cheaper than bimetals and also more durable (I am of course referring to the SS rings on bimetals that can become dislodged after a nasty hit). Also, monometals still have very good performance, especially those made by One Drop or CLYW. I’m also seeing a lot of people on the forum in similar topics saying they think monometals generally feel a little faster (quicker and easier to change direction) than bimetals, no matter how light they might be. Am I saying that every single monometal is faster than bimetals? No, there are plenty of bimetals that are faster than monometals. I’m just saying that in my opinion, monometals are generally quicker. Of course, bimetals are the kings when it comes to spin time and stability.

I think it all comes down to what you like best. Some say the two play differently, not one better than the other. What do you think?

7 Likes

overall i prefer monometals because they can take more of a beating but i still do enjoy a good bimetal

5 Likes

Depends on my mood.

6 Likes

Definitely. There are some that I reach for all the time and others that I don’t dislike but don’t use too often.

I usually prefer plastic tbh

4 Likes

When learning new advanced tricks I will be using a bimetal. It is totally worth it for the extra cost and I haven’t found a monometal that offers the same power,and stability that you can get from bimetals like the Yoshicuda
While on the subject, what are your thoughts on tri-metals?

2 Likes

I only had one bimetal and I sold it. I’m not that good.

1 Like

I have to be really honest my friends, I still don’t get the difference between the 2 :rofl:

2 Likes

@Albertino I know the difference, One of them is more expensive than the other. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s fine! Gentry Stein won with the plastic Replay Pro, so it’s more skill than anything else.

4 Likes

both metal yoyos have their own merits as long as the design profile is comfortable and the weight distribution is even and not feel sluggish.

5 Likes

Spin time and stability are definitely great things to have when learning new tricks. As for trimetals, hadn’t looked into them too much until you gave that link - looks like some insane rim weight in that one! The material slot in description just says 7068 aluminum, but I’m guessing the black rims are stainless steel. Not sure about the gold-looking ones. Apparently Sengoku is the company that started this trimetal concept. Looks pricey too!

Also checked out the Yoshicuda. The only thing I can find for that is the Yoshicuda X from Duncan. Is this what you were talking about?

While all of these throws look absolutely phenomenal, what bugs me the most is that they’re all made in China. This is why I like One Drop so much. They make super high performance yo-yos that are made in the USA. I’m not really sure why this is so important to me. With non-yo-yo things, I’m chill with just ordering stuff made in China, but for yo-yos, I avoid it whenever possible. Have you tried One Drop? They’re really good.

2 Likes

Agree.

That’s fine, some people just don’t like them.

Yes the yoshicuda is from duncan.

I agree One Drops are amazing. They have some of the highest quality yoyo’s . It is hard to get other USA yoyo’s, I find that there are only a couple options from yoyofactory and some other brands that offer USA made yoyo’s

If you want to get a bimetal with the same quality as a one drop you can get a yoyofriends. The machine shop for yoyo friends does some of the best machining you find in yoyo’s, similar to one drop yoyo’s.

2 Likes

Mono metal for fun/casual/travel… bimetal for learning tricks/combos/showing off…. It’s that easy…
Either way I’m probably throwing the g2 banshee or the banshee SS when I pick up a yo-yo :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll definitely check them out.

1 Like

True, but monometals have been used in competition like the Shutter. There are more.

1 Like

I prefer bimetals generally since they can be lighter for the power level but I have some monometals I like for chilling or short breaks at work. Titanium and 7068 monometals do have a better feel to them like Delrin over Polycarbonate but not a performance advantage.
Trimetals and most plastic with metal rims seem gimmicky at best and not worth the asking prices.

2 Likes

My preference is monometal. I have about 5 bi metals and out of them the only one that gets any play time is the Iceberg and it’s delrin. Havent found for myself yet what makes them special to justify the increase in price over mono.