Best performing monometal?

What do you guys think is the best performing competition-oriented monometal?

The best I’ve tried is probably the Sengoku Forge followed by the Kenshin and Sleipnir. I’m interested in trying a VTWO though.

There’s a lot of talk for the Banshee as well and I bet it’s a great yoyo but I feel like it gets a little overhyped as a G2 but I haven’t tried it myself so I can’t say for certain.

Any other big names I’m forgetting?

4 Likes

Maybe not competition oriented because of the shape, but the boa by reticulated return tops is something you can’t go wrong with for $45. I would recommend others like the cadence and banshee, but I’ve never tried them. The boa I have tried which is why I put that.

3 Likes

I would rank the VTWO, Kuntosh 5000QV, and Banshee together at the top. The Sleipnir, Top Deck, and Format:C all come in a close second, IMO.

From my experience, the Cadence doesn’t have the spin time or stability of the above throws, and so doesn’t go on my list.

4 Likes

My vote goes to the SLEIPNIR. I’ve been impressed by every yoyorecreation product.

5 Likes

Top Deck. That is one powerful yoyo

5 Likes

Banshee 18, I know that no one likes the heavy feeling of it, but it is amazing.

5 Likes

But, like… how do you mean “best performing”? Max spin time, which essentially means “most rim weight”?

6 Likes

Well he said competition oriented, so I assume he means judging by the typical competition yo-yo characteristics.

Out of what I’ve tried: Rook, Kenshin, Kuntosh 5000QV.

4 Likes

Out of what I tried and/or own:

• Kenshin: 7068 + thin walls + extreme rim weight = a performance monster that slays on the string, just has quite a bit of inertia
  • Topdeck: Very powerful with very thin walls, but the more midship oriented weight distribution reduces inertia when moving
  • Cadence: 7068 + thin walls + extreme rim weight (again) + extreme width = slower and more chill performance machine that still slays on string
  • ND Ultra: 7068 + OD Gradient shape allows for more concentrated rim weight, spins with the power of a nuclear reactor and moves just right, not too fast nor slow.
6 Likes

There are probably a dozen that would just about tie for first place…

Just so many excellent yoyos available today.

But, there is one yoyo that really stands out for me(monometal).

I am only chiming in, because I was/am kinda surprised nobody mentioned it.

A Co-lab from Ohyesyo and One Drop called the Eclipse.

It’s like a Stock 55 Chevy with a Rat motor🙀

If you put it on a table with a few dozen other yoyos; to me it doesn’t really stand out.

But when I throw it; It’s got the heat🤓 A very powerful spin.

9 Likes

This is my feeling as well. So many amazing monometals that it ends up being preference. And if you desire cuh-ray-zee outta this world :rocket: performance in the first place, why would you limit yourself to monometals instead of bimetals or even more exotic stuff…?

5 Likes

Really? I didn’t think that was supposed to be the Eclipse’s thing… Looks like a great yo-yo, though.

@codinghorror some people prefer monometals. Plus, he’s not necessarily limiting his choices overall by asking this question…

2 Likes

Thank you for answering all of code’s questions for me :grin:

Also almost forgot the Irony JP! That’s definitely in my top 5

4 Likes

Hehe :flushed:

2 Likes

The best one I’ve tried (and have) is the K’edge. It’s such an amazing throw.

8 Likes

I have a simple practice combo chain that I use to gauge the spin time and stability of a yoyo. Outside of (nearly all) my One Drops, very few monometals make it through with enough spin left to make a good bind without resorting to something like a sky bind. The Cadence and Ko’Edge are among those that don’t, which is why I am surprised when I hear people describe either as “spins for days”. If that’s the case, then my One Drops “spin for weeks” by comparison.

4 Likes

Could it be that your Cadence bearing needs cleaning? My Cadence spins equally as long as my VTWO, which are two my my most long spinning monometals.

6 Likes

I tried swapping the bearing and it didn’t make any noticeable difference. I also have a second Cadence that behaves the same. All I can say is that in my experience, the Cadence doesn’t come even close to the spin time and stability of my VTWOs. I don’t see how it could given how different its weight distribution is.

5 Likes

You should share that combo!

3 Likes

Dare I say… TiWalker

9 Likes