Best performing monometal?

Just the jp or the JPx?

2 Likes

The JP 2013. Always wanted to try a JPX but I’ve never had one. I think it’s the same yoyo but just a little lighter.

3 Likes

The Shutter Wide Angle is the best 1A monometal imo

3 Likes

I like the abduction, but I got it for 20 bucks on the bst so I’m kinda biased about that. The shutter wide angle is nice too.

3 Likes

I for one, wasn’t disputing that it’s an excellent yo-yo. It was just my impression that it wasn’t designed to be a super long spinning, competition yo-yo. I admit though, that I’ve never tried it, rather reviews and the promo material written about it seemed to presenting it as something else. It is definitely a yo-yo that has piqued my interest.

6 Likes

Best monometal yoyo that I’ve played so far is the Capitalyoyos - Angkasa , a very powerful throw,very rim weighted and very smooth. However it is rather unfortunate that the yo-yo does not use a 19mm response pad,you can only renew the pads with silicon gel.

2 Likes

I think there are too many good yo-yos these days to pick just one as the best monometal. I, for one, wouldn’t even be able to choose one company over another as the best of them all. Most of them are just that good.

I feel that the biggest difference between yo-yos these days is how much a company chooses to charge for them. Some companies charge $40-60 for a monometal and others $100-120 or even more. If you decide to count titaniums as well, the numbers will skyrocket instantly.

Yoyodoc mentioned there would probably be a dozen yo-yos capable of taking the number one spot. I agree. In fact, I think the number is even greater for me, is continuing to become greater as I try new yo-yos, and would be infinitely greater if I could try all the yo-yos ever made.

That being said, here are some of the ones I’ve been enjoying recently and that I consider some of the best out there (excluding titaniums):

Edit: Not entirely relevant to the original question asked, but I’ll still leave it here as I think it deserves the title: Best oversized monometal: Turning Point - Chameleon Light

Best budget-friendly monometal: (Yes, I’ll mention it again) Yoyofactory - Horizon. Some like it. Some hate it. I absolutely love it.

Best not-so-budget-friendly monometals: One Drop - VTWO, G2 - Banshee, Yoyorecreation - Mr. Butcher. There are more, like I mentioned, but these three are the ones I’ve been playing with the most.

Edit: Not entirely relevant to the original question asked, but I’ll still leave it here as I think it deserves the title: Best organic: A-RT - Grail. I haven’t tried the Icarus or the MC/MMC, so I can’t compare. But I doubt that I might like anything more.

Note: I’m waiting to try a couple from Japan Technology (Arrows, FiReal) and those will probably be great too.

6 Likes

Mr. Butcher! That takes me back. Pretty unique YYR. I wish I still had my classic YYR collection :confused: If there’s one throw I regret getting rid of the most it’s my Overdrive, I looooved that thing.

5 Likes

I did some more a/b comparisons between my yoyos and I think that I am willing to admit that the Cadence doesnt have quite the spin time as I originally thought. The only monometal that it defeats in my collection is the Hotdiggidy, and even my Canon spins slightly longer.

3 Likes

The VTWO is as close as a mono metal can get to playing like a competition bimetal. If you want stable and long spinning, then VTWO is as good as it gets!

6 Likes

Yeah, that’s been my experience as well. I don’t think the VTWO gets nearly the attention it deserves. It has really flown under the radar for most folks, probably because it is expensive, it only came in sold finishes for along time, and it looks like a lot of other monometal Vs out there. Alas, its magic isn’t apparent from photos.

2 Likes

I haven’t tried the Overdrive. But I have already ordered their new Overdrive Draupnir, which I’m eagerly waiting to get my hands on. I don’t know if there’s any similarity between the two, but you might want to check that one out.

2 Likes

Yeah I saw it a few days ago. Looks like it’ll play more like an oversized Draupnir

3 Likes

Don’t feel like you had to mention the cadence, or you’d be publicly flogged. I hear it’s a nice throw too bad it didn’t make the cut. SF has done a lot of nice projects almost always collaborations with companies that have the shops or the connections to the vendors. But how many nice projects did OD release before that perfect combination of your criteria clicked? Everyone’s criteria is different as feel accounts for a lot of that attrition. Have you ever thrown a TP? Most models spin longer than your favs you have listed. Spin time is never static and up there with true spin or smoothness for necessary utility features, assuming it functions per current standards. -Josh

1 Like

The only TP I own is a Houska Dry, which is never going to be a contender for extended spin time or stability. It is a very cute, fun little organic though.

I’d be very interested in trying any monometal that spins noticeably longer, or is substantially more stable, than the ones I listed. What would you suggest I try?

3 Likes

The FiReal is to me, the best monometal yoyo of all time.

2 Likes

I’ve always thought that the Fireal looks like an extremely fun yoyo

Doesn’t look like it’d be super stable but there’s somebody that uses it for 3a so :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Having read this, I’m now even more excited to try it out. Two of my favorite titaniums are made by Japan Technology, so I have very high expectations. I’m sure it will fulfill them, though. Their yo-yos are top-notch.

I don’t know why Japan Technology isn’t more popular when it comes to 1A. Perhaps it’s because they started out as an offstring company.

2 Likes

Probably because Americans don’t really like asian companies. Part of it is probably because they’re more costly but also because they don’t feel as much of a connection as they do with the American companies.

Kind of a shame, I wish YYR, TP, C3, etc. or even YYO were more popular, always been a fan of asian yoyo design

3 Likes

I think it’s mostly because they are small and people don’t generally want to spend $160-$400 on a yoyo.

3 Likes