Looking for a performance monometal

Advanced beginner looking for a good yoyo to help me progress through the 1a trick ladder.

I’m looking for a stable but fast and nimble competition style yoyo. It should be a monometal that can I ding while practicing and not worry that the rims will become vibey. It should be on the lighter side–64 grams or less. Bonus points if it has understated branding and markings.

I have the Yoyofriends Sunbird, which I like very much. I’m wondering if there is something out there that is similar that I might just as much.

Thanks!

edit:
I just realized I’m looking for something that’s in production and easy to get. I’d like to have something that I can ding off my floor, knuckles and skull and not worry about not being able to replace the yoyo.

3 Likes

Edge ultimatum maybe

3 Likes

YoyoFriends Sync.

1 Like

How does the ultimatum compare with the regular edge and the edge beyond?
I felt the edge was good but somehow underpowered just a tiny tiny bit. I just got recently got the edge beyond off the BST here. It’s great, has more power and stability, but I’d rather use a monometal for practice.

I’m a massive fan of the Retic YoYos Puff Adder. It’s one of my favorite monos and is nicely priced. YoYoExpert doesn’t sell them sadly…but they go for under $60 shipped, or even less if you’re willing to buy one used from someone.

Specs.
Diameter 53.07mm
Width 43.35mm
Gap 4.5mm
Weight 64.5g

4 Likes

The A-rt Garret fits those specs however It will be difficult to get one.

1 Like

What you need is a Duncan Windrunner. It’s cheap, nimble, fast, and all around amazing. It is the throw I learned most of my first “harder” tricks on

2 Likes

Thanks for the input everyone.

@zslane I confused the sync with the magpie and overlooked both. I’ll have another look at the sync.

@twitch77 Actually the death adder was on my growing list of things to get eventually. For some reason I did not know about the puff adder. I’ll have a look at that.

@yoyoben A-rt Garret looks great but if it’s rare, I’ll be worried about dinging it and damaging it when I’m learning harder tricks.

@William4842 Windrunner might be too heavy for me unfortunately. Otherwise it looks great, especially at that price.

Any other suggestions?

3 Likes

You’re right on that!!!

1 Like

Based on your weight preference it is a touch heavy, but If you want to step into that performance style throw I feel like the OD top deck is my go to recommendation

1 Like

I suggested the Sync because it has excellent performance but is also built like a tank.

The Top Deck is a flawless beast of a performance throw, but it is a tad on the fragile side. It achieves its incredible performance by having walls that are super thin, and you might not want to be practicing tricks that involve lots of potential collisions with the ground using a Top Deck.

1 Like

A fair point! I don’t often think about that playing over carpet always, I have to try pretty hard to bang up a yoyo, or shred a string.

1 Like

I’m a big yoyofriends fan. I’m torn between the Sync’s low price and the weight and the large logo on the side. Reviews seem to say it plays on the tad heavier side.

I’ve amassed an embarrassingly large collection considering my skill level. But I have noticed that I pick up lighter yoyos consistantly. 64g is becoming an upper limit for me. (Maybe I should start doing pushups.) I’d like to try out a top deck at some point but I’d like to get my skill level up first.

1 Like

The synch does FEEL heavy. The Top Deck is awesome and there’s no reason to wait on that for your skill level to improve. It doesn’t look fancy but it plays dreamy and will always be my favorite yoyo.

3 Likes

Actually the Top Deck is probably too heavy for me at 66g. I have a Dang2 at 65.7g. I think it’s great but I hardly use it because of the weight.

Spin dynamics Alter ego, carries momentum so well great for speed

1 Like

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Right now it’s looking like the following 3 because of my weight limit:

Puff adder (currently sold out unfortunately)
Edge Ultimatum (In stock! I like Evan but I already have two of his signatures. Do I need a 3rd?)
Stick with Sunbird (still in stock but not crazy about the colorways left)

Still open to any other suggestions.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with other edges but I seldom find modern regular size throws underpowered. You may also take a look at the Legendary Terrarian and the Kuntosh 5000qv. They are both excellent throws.

1 Like

I would highly recommend the sengoku ashigaru 63.8g . It doesn’t feel heavy, has plenty of power ,comfortable and won’t break the bank. I recently sold my sunbird as I didnt like how it felt in the hand.
There is definitely a hole in the market for performance throws with a light weight.

1 Like

@leis It’s all relative. The edge seems to be underpowered compared to other bimetals I own but honestly has enough power/spin time that I probably would ever need. Really I could probably get by with just buy a $6 Whip but with so many good yoyos available, why settle?

Kuntosh 5Kqv is on my list of things to get. I’m hoping there will be a restock soon. I almost pulled the trigger on the Legendary Terranian but I didn’t like the looks and I got the impression it was more centerweighted and less performance focused than the Kuntosh.

@Manxyoyos Ashigaru looks very interesting. Currently added to the shortlist.