Returning from 8 year hiatus, looking for the best $40-$100 Throw

Hi,

After a long break, I am looking to get back into yo-yoing. It seems Yoyos have evolved a lot in the past 8 years. I’m not even sure which brands I should be looking at now. The only two I’ve ever used are a dark magic, and currently a DV888 yoyo. I can do some of the “master” level tricks in the learn section of this website so I think I’m looking at a more advanced unresponsive metal yoyo. I don’t really have much experience with “modern” yo-yo’s but after a couple hours researching today I’m interested in the Shutter, Shutter Wide Angle, Windrunner, Grasshopper GTX. One drop has a bunch of cool options too. I am also very open to any other suggestions people have.

Also I am looking for a yoyo that can do anything. I would almost exclusively use it for practice/learning new tricks, but also a competition level throw would be nice as it seems dark magic and dv888 do not meet these criteria. Also am not sure if I want something that is floaty or has lots of power or even the shape, as I’m not 100% sure what these terms mean.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

5 Likes

I know how you feel, I came back after 6 years 2 weeks ago.

YYF Marco is a really good throw for practicing, long spin time, and speed combos. Only at $60 and it’s a bimetal. Perfect competition throw. The only problem it has is slight vibe that doesn’t effect grinds or spin time noticeably and that it’s a pretty boring throw since it can do so much at a noticeably lower effort.

The shutter is also a good throw. It wont be as easy learning the tricks compared to the Marco but it shouldn’t be hard learning tricks with the Shutter.

Also look on the BST for other throws that may interest you! Prices have gone lower since 8 years ago on the forum from my experience :+1:

3 Likes

Honestly, I just got a Freshly Dirty Cardboard Steamboat in a trade and it’s awesomeness has rocked my world. You get floaty, you get power, you get dead smooth and a finish that grinds for days. Still in stock here.

YYF Skyline was recently rereleased, it’ll give you that old school flavor in a throw that still performs to todays standards.

You could almost pull off both in the top end of your price range.

All that aside, every company is just killing it lately so if you disregard the recommendations and follow what your eyes are drawn too, you’d be hard pressed to fail.

One last recommendation, if I had no yoyos and $100 bucks, I’d hunt down a tivayder on the BST.

3 Likes

I’m sure you’d like a shutter of WA shutter. I would also consider looking at the Freshly Dirty Moldy Bread and the Duncan Exit 8. Both of these are all around great throws, in your price range, and are in stock right now.

4 Likes

I recommend the SF Yoyos Cadence ES if you can find one, it’s a really solid choice and can handle most anything you can throw at it. You can find them for anywhere between $30-$50, and they have some [on their website] for $50. Out of your choices I’d recommend recommend the Shutter Wide Angle though.

4 Likes

@codinghorror would you recommend a used ti-vayder over a semi new DV888?

Depending on condition right?

JK. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

IDK the DV888 is a pretty much a perfect throw… :thinking:

3 Likes

Decided to come back and give some more suggestions. In the great competition monometal category there’s also the Unprld Recognition for $55. If you’re looking for a $100 Bimetal I recommend the Unprld Flashback or the SF Motive. But, I think if you’re just trying to jump back in with a good yoyo, finding a solid monometal for now will be the most rewarding and fun.

3 Likes

My recommendations would be:

Bi-metal: Duncan Grasshopper GTX or TopYo Dominator.
Monometal: One Drop VTWO or Top Deck.

These are all in the $70-100 range, but they are worth every penny IMO.

6 Likes

Wow there a lot of good suggestions here! I just looked up all the ones suggested so far. I’m going to have a hard time picking. I think I’m leaning more towards regular/slightly undersized yoyo’s as I have fairly small hands. Also I’ve seen a lot of good suggestions around the $100 price range, but might lean more towards the $50 -$70 range now that I’ve seen many good ones in this range.

1 Like

Also can’t decide between casual light and floaty, or powerful/stable. I definitely want something fun and a little bit light and floaty but stable enough for more complex/master tricks etc.

1 Like

How’s your arm/upper body strength? If it’s strong then the slightly heavier more stable throws should be no problem. If it’s not too strong then I would say floaty. Best way to get both is to get a budget bimetal which shouldn’t be too hard to find on the BST or even on YYE itself.

1 Like

I’d say it’s strong enough for a bimetal. BST is sounding like it might be the best way to go.

Also with that being said, I think I’m now considering, in no particular order…

Shutter wide angle
Moldy bread
Grasshopper GTX (but there’s no good colour ways out rn)
Dominator
Puff Atra
Puff Adder
Sugar Glider
Death Adder V2
Endgame
Meerkat

4 Likes

PM sent

2 Likes

Endgame is a good choice. Definitely not undersized, but plays fast and floaty.

4 Likes

You should checkout the Iceberg. It’s a good throw and and probably the easiest yoyo to learn to fingerspin on. If your looking at slightly undersized yoyos, I’d recommend the yotricks ethos

2 Likes

Idk if anyone has mentioned it but on SF’s website you can get a Motive/PLSTC combo for $100. Motive is one of my top 3 favorites of the 40 or so I’ve tried over the past year and PLSTC is great for just carrying around and not minding if it gets beat a bit.

4 Likes

A timeless classic is still being restock thanks to @Markmont

5 Likes

I agree with all of this. The Motive is the only one of my top 5 that’s currently available and less than $100. It has the a light, floaty feel with top tier power, stability, speed and controllability. Plus, it’s wide with a huge catch zone, as befits a modern competition throw. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Shutter
Shutter WAngle
Grasshopper GTX
Ti-Vayder (you can find one for a bit cheaper then retail)
Rooster
Voyage

these are some premium yoyos, you can get for $100 or less. happy throwing!

2 Likes