What yoyo to buy in 2019?

Hey all, I’m getting back into yoyoing after a 5 year hiatus. My last yoyo was a Dark Magic 2 but I’m currently throwing a YYF DV888 with dice that I put on. I’m just looking for suggestions on what to purchase to get back into it. I’m not trying to go all out just maybe sub 60? Thanks!

5 Likes

UNPRLD Abduction or yoyofriends Sync

3 Likes

Maybe one of these:

6 Likes

UNPRLD ReCognition is pretty good I’ve heard :wink:

8 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! I’ve only looked at the Shutter and Edge but these seem like my style. Is the Shutter still the trend nowadays?

1 Like

It is for beginners and folks coming back into the game like yourself.

I came back in after a similar lapse in hobby judgement and started with a TopYo Silenus. Those are sold out, but the Selene is also super great, and leaves room in your budget for some extra string and stuff.

4 Likes

You’ll have to decide how wide you want your come-back yoyo to be. The trend in the last year or two has been towards ever wider yoyos (> 46mm), which may or may not be what you’re looking for.

2 Likes

Before I stopped, I almost mastered Hiroyuki’s 2014 Worlds performance combos. Managed to do it with my friends 888. I don’t mind venturing into new territory. I DID try my friends shutter a couple years back when I was in high school. I’m a rising sophomore in college right now taking a summer course so I decided to hop back in. I brought my DV with me and I can still combo decently fast. And hate me for saying this but I’m probably going to order off of Amazon because I have a 60$ gift card from my birthday.

4 Likes

Shutter is still great. The Shutter WA is even better(IMO) I understand your use of Amazon but I will say the fellas here at yoyo expert will take much better care of you for your future purchases. The Shutter I bought from Amazon before I discovered this site came with a seized bearing. I had to buy new bearings. If you buy here they will make sure you end up with a throw in perfect playing condition. Yoyoexpert have even offered me a refund on a yoyo that simply didnt fit my personal preferences.

8 Likes

I’ve ordered a bunch from here but I have nothing to do with the $60 at this point. I could get a yoyo by Sunday and if it’s faulty I’ll return it.

4 Likes

I feal you there. If you decide to pull the trigger on a Shutter I dont think you will be disappointed. Great design, well rounded, can do pretty much anything you want it to. Also has some great color choices. The Shutter Wide Angle with mirror polished rims is glorious.

1 Like

I know it’d be a hassle but do you think you could look through Amazon and suggest other yoyos? I don’t want to be biased to YYF. Most of my yoyos have been YYF and a YYJ(rip).

1 Like

I feel kinda bad for this suggestion…as you’re looking for sub $60 and what I’m suggesting is quite a bit higher…
But is there anyway you’d consider dropping an additional $15? For $75 you can get a Basecamp Expedition plus if you order it through yoyoexpert they throw in a free Sherpa in the color of your choice. The Sherpa alone is worth $55.
The expedition is my second favorite playing yo I currently own…it’s such a fun throw!

As far as sub $60 goes…my fave I’ve tried so far is my Ko’Olau Edge. It’s only $45 and is a very powerful, stable and long spinning throw. It’s another one of my favorites though it feels slightly too big in my hands.
If you have any interest in learning to loop…you can also get the K’Edge and 2x 720 looping yos for $63.

3 Likes

I just did a quick flip through. Magicyoyo seem to be prevalent. They are decent but definitely not quite the quality we get from Yoyofactory. I did see they have some Duncan Windrunners. Those are great budget metals. They have a very unique feal and you can bang out some lengthy fingerspins with a little practice. Recess Joyride are really good too. I’m definitely speaking from what I Iike though, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

4 Likes

I love the few Magicyoyos I own (2 N12 Shark’s Honors, a N5 Desperado and a Y01 Node). They’re fantastic playing throws that play just as great as most my $45+ throws…and they were all $16 or less!
If you end up picking something up in the $50’ish range, maybe you can consider picking up a Magicyoyo along with it?
It’s awesome that such amazing playing yos exist for such a great price!

4 Likes

Sync, Flank, or Recog

3 Likes

I like the suggestions but I just can’t get them on Amazon right now. As YYF (prime) goes, I see the Edge (52), shutter (45), shutter wa(55), too hot(50), paolista(45), and horizon(45). I don’t know many other brands.

3 Likes

Does it have to be through amazon? Yoyoexpert has free shipping @ $50…and it’s super fast. 2 or 3 days.

3 Likes

it is still coming out with new wa color ways every year

3 Likes

I have a $60 Amazon gift card, it just makes it easier. I mean I could get something else with $60 but then I’d be different if you know what I mean.

5 Likes