Best performing monometal?

I am not a big fan of SF but I think this statement is factually untrue. SF released the SF SF, the SF SS, the 36 and DLRN before they did the co-lab with OD (SK) and then the DK with A/RT. They then released the Bliss and the Cadence, the L, the Ceasefire and upcoming is the Statement. That makes for 9/11 releases are their own yoyos and 2/9 co-labs.

4 Likes

I don’t know if a high price tag is the thing that deters most people from buying Japanese/Asian yo-yos. While that may, perhaps, be the case sometimes, I feel it’s usually not the main reason. C3yoyodesign has some pretty inexpensive yo-yos, but they too are not as popular here in the US as other brands. I’ve seen people pay $300 and $500 for a G2 swirl, and now we’re talking about monometals that aren’t even made using exotic materials like titanium. Not that I’m judging. God knows I’ve spent my fair share on yo-yos. I’d be the last one to judge people for spending a lot of money on one. This was simply an observation.

I have to agree with @andy569:

3 Likes

Sengoku doesn’t get enough love too. Julio posted on Facebook a while back about how making a budget throw the ashigaru was kind of his last attempt at increasing sales because it’s been pretty bad lately.

It’s a shame, I feel like Sengoku is the YYR of post 2013. Masamune is on par with the Draupnir, Masamini is the best mini in the game, and the Kenshin and Forge are the 2 best monometals out there, and generally every single throw they put out is the best of the best in terms of what they’re trying to accomplish imo. I hate seeing how such a great company is getting no love and is on the verge of shutting down.

8 Likes

I don’t know what it is about Sengoku. They are super performing yoyos, but they just don’t seem to look right to me for some reason. Strange.

4 Likes

Interesting, I’ve always loved the minimal angular look of their throws.

I would say YYRs releases do look undesirable lately though

2 Likes

Yeah I hear ya, for me the plain V is a hard sell. I agree it is a good performance shape.

3 Likes

I feel part of their problem is they “sound” Japanese but it is not in any way a Japanese yo-yo company. It’s kinda odd and it has that Sturm Panzer problem of being quirky and Japanese (and expensive) without actually being those things?

3 Likes

Sturm Panzer are both German words, which makes you think that either the company is German or they have a fetish for the Wehrmacht, neither of which may be true but that misperception can nevertheless put some people off even when the high prices don’t.

3 Likes

Julio is a fan of the Japanese history behind that time period so that’s the theme of the company. He started Sengoku when he was living in Japan so that’s where the company originated(according to Facebook he still lives there, which means the yoyos are still assembled there). Sengoku yoyos were originally made and produced in Japan, NOT China, which is why they were pricy like YYR, but I guess they’ve probably switched to China by now? Not even positive. There’s a Japanese translation for his website for the Japanese yoyoers and he promotes his brand to that audience as well.

Soooo. It is a Japanese company pretty much, it just so happens the owner wasn’t japanese himself. I don’t really understand what you mean.

If Takeshi created a yoyo company with American names while living in America and produced the yoyos in America, would it not be an American company because he’s Asian?

5 Likes

Sengoku yoyos play absolutely amazingly! I really should try out a few more of their throws.

4 Likes

The ThrowRevolution Zephyr (OG) is one of the best for me. Atleast, for V shapes.
The YYF Paolista is also good, but its quite heavy-feeling. Not to the “rock” point though.
The SF Cadence is probabaly my favorite. The floaty feel is just so satisfying to play with. Not for everybody though.

3 Likes

Not sure what do you mean by non-Japanese in any way. The company is in Japan and the yoyos are designed and assembled in Japan, some made in Japan. Nike and apple are not Chinese companies in a similar example.

5 Likes

There is something deeply off about his strategy. Imagine if a Japanese person came to the US and started making US history yo-yos, like the “Abraham Lincoln” and the “Doughboy” and the “Revolutionary War”. It’s… weird.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s weird at all. He didn’t just move to Japan exclusively to make a Japanese yoyo company. You also didn’t really answer the question. How is it possible that Sengoku is “not in any way a Japanese yo-yo company” when the company originated in Japan and their yoyos are designed and manufactured in Japan? What makes a Japanese company a Japanese company then? I think its a little disrespectful, just because the owner wasn’t born in Japan doesn’t make it a non-Japanese company.

NeoHamster is Julio Robles btw, just in case you didn’t know.

3 Likes

No more weird than a Japanese yoyo company making norse-mythology themed yoyos.

I guess that’s a bit weird, actually.

4 Likes

Well, I do. Opinions vary, and all that. The actual yo-yos are quite good of course, the Oni is in my top 5 bimetals!

I’d add that westerners co-opting Japanese culture isn’t all that… original, either. :man_shrugging:

See, that’s the thing. You expect weirdness from Japan, as in Japanese people. I mean have you seen their game shows? Culture? Katamari Damacy? That’s kinda their modus operandi.

(This also explains Sturm Panzer since @zslane asked :wink: )

2 Likes

I mean if you think the theme of the company is weird then okay, but like… I just think its kind of whack how you think its not at all a Japanese company just because the man behind it isn’t Japanese. Even if it wasn’t a Japanese theme and just had a “normal” name I’d still consider it a Japanese company. The owner lives in Japan. The yoyos are made and produced in Japan. If he lived and produced the yoyos in Australia, would it not be an Australian company? What.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure the Japanese don’t think of it this way, and I’ve read at least one article specific to this company and this specific situation that has indicated this is the case. It doesn’t surprise me knowing what I know about the culture.

I would classify it as “mildly confusing” as a consumer of yo-yos, I don’t think about it much other than that. And they do make excellent yo-yos, to be clear, I’d recommend the Oni to anyone!

2 Likes

“Imagine if a Japanese person came to the US and started making US history yo-yos, like the “Abraham Lincoln” and the “Doughboy” and the “Revolutionary War”. It’s… weird.” For people that see beyond the racial look and background not so much. My kids are Japanese, my wife is Japanese, and I love japan history, I don´t see why only because I´m not Japanese should not make Japanese history based stuff. I know many non Americans that knows american history better than most. Only Greeks can make Greek Mithology based stuff? Stan Lee shouldn´t made Thor because he wasn´t Scandinavian? White people shouldn´t use dreadlocks? get drunk at cinco de mayo? I can´t find the logic on that way of thinking besides racism.

8 Likes

To be clear, people can do whatever they want! I only classify it as “mildly confusing”, as a possible explanation why sales aren’t as expected.

Also I completely stand behind this statement

Imagine if a Japanese person came to the US and started making US history yo-yos, like the “Abraham Lincoln” and the “Doughboy” and the “Revolutionary War”. It’s… weird.

I am not saying it is wrong or bad or should not be done… but I 100% feel that is WEIRD. It’s kinda… inauthentic and fanboy-ish? I dunno.

Anyways I don’t have strong feelings about it either way, but I legit would call that weird.

2 Likes