Best performing monometal?

I´m not sure if the brand name and concept is the reason, the yoyos used to sell very well. if that were the case, it would never be the case. I thought it was the price, Ashigaru is 54. And honestly, if i thought it was the brand concept i would change it.

4 Likes

Does Sengoku employ Japanese workers? If so, how many (compared to non-Japanese workers)?

1 Like

lol, i wish Sengoku was big enough to have at least a single part time worker :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I reckon the Ashigaru looks really good. It’s my favourite looking one.

Anyone used one? What do you think of it?

2 Likes

If you don’t like the concept of the company then okay but how is Sengoku not a Japanese company when YYR and TP are though. I just don’t understand.

2 Likes

I have an Ashigaru and it plays very nicely (and it has such a beautiful finish–mine is solid, velvety green). I feel you get 80% of a Sleipnir (in terms of feel and performance) for 1/3rd the price. Quite a deal!

5 Likes

Oh my bad! You’re THE GUY @NeoHamster … apologies. I was not getting that. Major props for running the company and as I’ve said repeatedly your stuff is excellent, though I only own the Oni and the Hattori. I eventually want to get the Masamini as well.

That said, I fully expect you to rebrand on US revolutionary war, world war I, and US history themed yo-yos now!

Check out our new wood responsive, we call it “George Washington’s Teeth”

:rofl:

I apologize for any attempt to explain Japanese culture to you, as clearly you are living it. My bad. You know the upsides and the downsides.

3 Likes

Then you will complain because I´m not american :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

When, in year, did this change in your opinion? What year did things turn?

3 Likes

Glenn, if V shapes turns you off, try the Oni.

5 Likes

Looks really good!

But I need cash to try the Oni. :sob:

3 Likes

“When, in year, did this change in your opinion? What year did things turn?”
late 2017

4 Likes

Interesting, so pretty recent. You might also want to comment in

4 Likes

For me. The best monometal is the Kenshin in pure competition performance. Ashigaru and forge and close seconds. Some honorable mentions would also be the Dazzler and the gen yo M10

5 Likes

You may or may not find my personal experience of interest. So for one of my christmas gifts(bought by me, wrapped by wife) I had what turned into a weeks long decision between the Mowl Surveillance and the Oni. Interesting side note, the Oni was in the running due in no small part to Codinghorror’s glowing endorsement. Anyway, things that tipped the balance in favour of the Mowl: unique colorway/design. I like the Oni’s classy look but I was looking for a little more “pop” …maybe a fade? Also was interested in the Musashi, but the only color I’ve ever seen in stock was the red.
Brandon Vu’s Surveillance review also made a big difference for me. Seeing an awesome player like that shredding away and loving it makes an impression. May seem a little strange to send a yoyo to some guy in Australia in hopes that he’ll not only review it but also endorse it, but that’s as close to a yoyo commercial as you’re going to get. Anyway hope things pick up for you…

On another note, I have to say I was a little disappointed picturing my ten year old browsing through this all ages forum, then clicking into a post on best monometals(a huge passion of his, can’t pry that Kuntosh away from him) I can picture his surprise to see the conversation devolve into allegations of racism by triggered adults. Maybe they see enough of that stuff on TV and we can give them a positive haven to share this awesome hobby. Just sayin…

7 Likes

The issue with Sengoku, at least for me, was the elevated price point vs what I view to be competing yoyos. Now I acknowledge that they have a $55 yoyo, but id rather introduce myself to the company with one of their more premium throws (the product description makes me think it’s just cheap). And while the Coldfire is priced right around the point in which I buy, im turned off by its shape and visual appeal (it’s kind of ugly tbh). My gut tells me that id much prefer something like the Musashi or even the Kenshin, but they exceed the price point that im willing to spend on a single yoyo. ~120 for a monometal is a hard pill to swallow, and ~170 is just too expensive when there has been an onslaught of $100 bi-metals as of late.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what reasons are there to throw a competition-oriented monometal over a bimetal?

3 Likes

Monometals are more durable so I’d be more comfortable having a monometal when I’m throwing outside or not on carpet. Inner ring bimetals are more durable than outer ring but still not as durable as monometal, and outer ring has more rim weight potential than inner ring anyway. Granted, bimetals nowadays can usually take a good beating as well but most people would just still be more comfortable throwing a monometal.

Also, this is kind of a minor thing and doesn’t matter for a lot of people but bimetals hinder grinds. With inner ring bimetals the rings can catch on your fingers during fingerspin tricks and kill spin, same with palm grinds.

For competing though there really isn’t an advantage to using monometal over bimetal except maybe the grind thing(but grinds aren’t really prevalent in competition anyway) but for daily use I think monometals are a little more versatile

2 Likes

Except the specific OP was about “the best performing competition-oriented monometal”, so that narrows it way down from what you posted…

Good post nonetheless!

5 Likes

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s not the yoyo.
It’s the hands. I bet Doc Pop could out perform any of you with what any of you would consider a bad yoyo at any time or place.
It’s the hands.
Reminds me of that shoe commerical with Spike Lee " it’s the shoes!"

7 Likes