Best performing monometal?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I withdrew a few of my replies in this thread for a simple reason. After reading Myk_Myks’ reply To Drakkar; it was very clear to me that I did not pay close attention to the OPs’ question. ‘Best competition oriented mono metals’.

Answers that don’t address the actual question; are not really answers. They are just misplaced opinions.

:flushed:

7 Likes

Oh, thanks! I think, I must have forgotten how @andy569 phrased it after reading the rest of the comments here. Still, other than the Chameleon and the Grail, all the yo-yos I’ve listed can be seen as being “competition-oriented,” and any single one of them could definitely be used to win a competition.

I still don’t think it narrows it down, though. I could easily name several more I’d consider to be “conpetition-oriented,” and I’d still have a hard time deciding which one of those I’d call, “the best.” I just mentioned the ones I’m using the most right now.

In my opinion, no yo-yo, at least at this point in time, can be called “the best,” and no yo-yo can be called “the best competition-oriented yo-yo.” Speaking for myself, if I did, somehow, manage to award that title to a specific throw, it would be for various other reasons that affected my judgment. Once two yo-yos reach a similar level of performance, enabling you to complete any trick in your arsenal as well as being highly capable in all styles of play, it becomes really difficult to call one better than the other.

I have to disagree a little with @Grendel, though. Yes, a highly capable yo-yoer can perform extremely well with most kinds of throws. But, regardless of skill, a well performing yo-yo will make everyone’s life much easier. That’s a fact. If I were a professional player, I wouldn’t use a bad yo-yo in competitions, I’d still use the best tool for the job. Could Lance Armstrong win a race using you daughter’s BMX? Maybe. Does that mean that it’s a good choice?

5 Likes

Most of the time “best” can’t be objectively determined, and since most of us realize that, it makes more sense to just pretend that the OP typed “favorite” instead of “best” and answer accordingly. I believe that’s how most of us are answering anyway. Performing this little bit of in-brain translation avoids needless pedantry.

6 Likes

Most of the time is not always. It’s difficult to know what is meant by “best,” without further clarification. Some people mean one thing and others another. Yet, even if it was intended to mean, “favorite,” my answer would still remain the same. Switching the words does not affect my answer. I can’t pick a favorite. There are too many yo-yos I like which fit the title of “favorite competition-oriented monometal.” That’s just me. Others may feel differently.

2 Likes

Totally fair.

However, saying you can’t choose a personal favorite is very different from making the self-evident observation that no yoyo can be objectively called “the best”. The former is offering an insight into you as a person, while the latter is merely (and needlessly) stating the obvious.

And I’m not so sure it is really that difficult to know what the OP means by “best” 99% of the time. Unless they are asking for responses to be based on scientific measurements of some kind, then “favorite” is the only interpretation that makes any sense.

2 Likes

I completely agree that the fact that no yo-yo can be called, “the best,” should be pretty obvious to most. That does not mean, however, that it always is. I’ve had several discussions with people, online and off, who truly believed that there was a yo-yo that could outperform any other yo-yo out there. But, to clarify, I did not answer the question the way I did because I simply believed that’s what the original post was asking. This forum is and certainly can be a great source of information. Many people come here looking for answers, especially beginners. I can assure you that most beginners share the belief that there’s an actual “best” yo-yo out there. My intention, whenever I type a response in general, is to help people understand certain things a little bit better, in order to avoid making mistakes in the future, such as purchasing the wrong products. I always try to answer any questions keeping in mind that a beginner might read a certain response and get the wrong impression.

I feel, however, that this discussion is not really contributing to much here, and I don’t really understand the point of having it. I’d be more than happy to continue it with you using private messages.

2 Likes

It would be interesting/instructive to learn if @andy569 truly believes that himself. Based on the level of intelligence he always displays in his posts, I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I kinda feel that this tangent is useful if it helps prevent future posts from belaboring the “there’s no single, objectively best yoyo today” point.

2 Likes

Well, gee, now you’ve got me all sceered to throw my bimetals outside in the parking lot… :fearful:

2 Likes

I believe that in the past there were definitely yoyos that were widely considered “the best yoyo” in terms of pure performance. Sleipnir and Draupnir being examples. Although this was pretty early in my yoyoing, I distinctly remember many that have tried the Sleipnir agreed it was the best competition yoyo ever created, and I’m sure this was even more so when it was first released. Then when the Draupnir released, the general consensus was the Draupnir was the best. I’m not sure if there was a general consensus of what was the best yoyo before the Sleip but I’m sure there was, or at least there was a select few that were considered the best. Even if someone didn’t enjoy playing with the Sleip or Draup, they could agree that they are better than everything else in terms of performance. That doesn’t mean that they were so much better that you didn’t have a chance if you didn’t use them and there’s always people that disagreed but I do think it was an easier question to answer years ago than it is now.

It’s because back then, good yoyos weren’t very common and there were far less releases in general. Nowadays there’s too many great yoyos that can even compete with the Draupnir that the line has become blurred, and I don’t think we’ll ever get to a point where there will be a general consensus “best yoyo” again.

As for the intention of my post, I was asking what everyone thought was the best performing monometal. I used the word competition to try to make it more clear. As mentioned earlier, individual skill can be a greater factor than the actual yoyo but you’d still want to use the best possible yoyo in a competition. If you were a world class competitor, and your life depended on you winning worlds, what yoyo would you use? It’s kind of a dumb hypothetical but that was what I was asking. I understand that there’s so many great yoyos out nowadays that there isn’t a general consensus answer but I was just wondering what everyone’s opinions were on what monometals were in contention for being considered “the best performing monometal”

5 Likes

Again, I’m sure modern bimetals nowadays are much more durable and can handle a beating, I’m just not comfortable testing it. I’ve heard many stories of rings dislodging years ago when bimetals were kind of a new thing; I don’t really hear about it anymore but it’s just something in the back of my mind so I’d just prefer to throw monometal outdoors. And honestly, the best monometals aren’t that much worse than the best bimetals nowadays so it doesn’t really make that much of a difference to me.

5 Likes

This last bit is a 3 horse race

2 Likes

Both are excellent, so a Winner Is You™ in either case.

Well I apologize for my part, I kinda got the topic off track. That is my bad. Sorry @NeoHamster.

For the record, I still want a wood yo-yo marketed as “George Washington’s Teeth” to be released by a Japanese person living in the USA though. I would buy fifty of those. Swear on a bible.

And all the Sengokus I’ve ever owned have been amazing, including the Oni, which I love.

5 Likes

The Draup is kinda like The Beatles (this is not a post about The Beatles being great or horrible etc…) in the sense that when it came out, it was pretty much undisputed king. Much like people having nearly unlimited access to different music now, players have access to tons of great yo-yos now. Pretty much no way there will ever be another single definitive “king” again.

8 Likes

What a great comparison!

3 Likes

And I just got an eclipse and im in love.

3 Likes

What’s the difference between mono-metal and bimetal yoyos?

1 Like

Mono = one , bi = two. Monometal is all one metal. Bimetal is two different metals combined.

e.g. alu yoyo with steel weight rings.

2 Likes

is bi-metal

2 Likes

@andy569 so which yoyo are you planning to buy? and whats your budget?

2 Likes

It is not, it is as premium as Coldfire or Kenshin. What makes it cheaper is not the quality, is: 1- The material, 6061 vs 7068, 2- I made a big run to get discount. 3- I cut the profit as an investment to let people try a Sengoku for cheap price. Other than that, design, quality control, anodizing, bearings, pads, packing, etc, is identical to any other Sengoku monometal.

7 Likes