Bimetal or monometal

• monometal
  • bimetal

0 voters

6 Likes

Lol I think autocorrect got you on monometal. ā€œMonumental.ā€

I fixed it though.

I made a thread a couple months or so ago asking why people who didnā€™t like bimetals didnā€™t like them, as itā€™s not an unpopular sentiment. Since then Iā€™ve tried a whole range of different yo-yos and out of all the bimetals Iā€™ve had, I only have 2 Iā€™ve kept or that I am not selling.

I donā€™t think anyone can argue that rim weighted bimetals arenā€™t more stable and longer spinning than any monometal that isnā€™t built specifically to replicate these features, like the MVP. However, as you can see with the MVP, your design choices are more limited with monometals if thatā€™s the goal.

That being said, I donā€™t think every competitor has a trick set or routine that necessitates a performance bimetal.

For the average yoyoer, it comes down to two things. Feel and benefits. There have been multiple members of the forum who have expressed that they enjoy having the increased stability and spin time for learning new tricks. On the other hand, others have stated they donā€™t like the feel that bimetals have or donā€™t really need that stability or spin time.

I personally am in a spot where I do want an efficient design in the yo-yos I buy and appreciate extra stability for trying some stuff that pushes the yo-yo a little, but i also donā€™t like the heavy feel a lot of bimetals have. Even lighter ones can feel sluggish and weighed down, and bimetals with rings placed away from the rims defeat a little of the purpose and still have a similar feel of a lot of weight in one spot. 6061 bodies arenā€™t as bad in this regard.

There are a three bimetals that interest me but after those I donā€™t see myself getting any, or even any monometals outside the ~50$ area.

5 Likes

Really depends on play. But Bi-metal yo-yos are just so much cooler. They fascinate me with design and looks. Absolutely stunning to look at some and some are even better to play

5 Likes

I really like the way you put it. Plain and simple, it comes down to preference. Personal preference. Of feel in the hand and everything else. Some bimetals are GOOOOOOD.
BUTā€¦ I feel like sometimes slapping an SS ring on some profiles leave so much room for error.
An incredible versatile yoyo could easily be turned into a brick. But thats just me.

4 Likes

I wish there was a ā€œBoth/Canā€™t pickā€ option. I used to be in the monometal camp but Iā€™ve been playing exclusively bimetals lately and Iā€™ve started to get an appreciation for the diversity and nuances of bimetal design. Also, this has been an amazing year for bimetals IMO with Duncanā€™s line up, more off-beat bimetals like the Batsquatch, etc.

4 Likes

Monometal every time. I own one bimetal and have tried a few different varieties out and to be honest theyā€™re just not for me because ā€˜stabilityā€™ and ā€˜long spin timesā€™ mean nothing to my enjoyment of playing with the toy that is the yoyo

4 Likes

Got to go with mono. Much simpler in terms of manufacturing, generally cheaper and is more likely to tolerate damage to a greater degree. I do love the idea of bi-metals though and I appreciate the advantages they give. Just not my preference when it comes to hurling spinning things.

3 Likes

Monometal tends to feel ā€˜funā€™ and enjoyable to use to me for a longer time compared to bimetals

5 Likes

I agree I think thatā€™s why I prefer monos

3 Likes

I like both.

I mean, when Iā€™m deciding which of my yoyos to pick up and throw, Iā€™m not thinking about how it was made, Iā€™m thinking about what sort of play feel Iā€™m after, and what aesthetics Iā€™m in the mood for. Sometimes that means Iā€™ll grab a monometal from my collection, and other times Iā€™ll grab a bi-metal.

6 Likes

I switch back and forth. Sometimes, especially when Iā€™m learning a new trick, I want the spintime that a bimetal offers. Sometimes, a want a fun mono metal. Sometimes I want a mono metal with great spintime, and, sometimes I want a crazy fun floaty bimetal.

4 Likes

The implication above seems to be:

• floaty = fun
  • spintime = not fun

(We can extrapolate that as performance = not fun)

The placement of ā€œfunā€ in statements like these always leave me scratching my head.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think thatā€™s what @French is saying.

Spintime = not fun, is a very funny way to interpret that word. Made me scratch my head trying to figure out your thought process.

When I like to learn a trick, I tend to pick up a more performance driven throw. More rim weight, large catch zone and long spintime. It doesnā€™t mean that I use that yoyo for trick learning and progression only. Iā€™ll pick up that throw when Iā€™m leaving the house and just do picture tricks with it. I can do this with any of my YoYos.

Any yoyo = FUN

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got to get better at writing in my native language :nerd_face:

All I was trying to convey is I donā€™t really have a general preference for bimetal vs monometal. I tend to pick the yoyo Iā€™m playing based on my whim. In general, when learning a trick, I go for something stable and long spinning (I have both mono and bimetal that fall into this category), for having fun, I pick a fun yoyo (I have mono and bimetal, wood and plastic that fall into this category, in short, all of my yoyos fall into this category).

I didnā€™t mean to imply that spintime = not fun. Regarding the ā€œcrazy fun floaty bimetalā€, the yoyo I had in mind when I wrote that phrase is the Sengoku Samurai, which is all of those things along with amazing spintime. It plays very differently than any other yoyo I own.

Finally, the extrapolation that performance = not funā€¦that was never where I intended to go (see first sentence of this post), but, I can understand how someone can get to that extrapolation. I would argue that a Proyo is fun, a Duncan Butterfly is fun, an OG PopStar is fun. None are considered high performance. In general yoyos are fun.

Thank you @Lukoyo for typing faster than I was able toā€¦

3 Likes

It isnā€™t about interpreting a specific word. It is about observing where the word ā€œfunā€ is used and where it very distinctly is not. The words we use and when/where we choose to use them tells us a lot about what is actually meant, and I donā€™t think a lot of folks realize that their subconscious is betraying their biases when they write quickly, even if they are only mild biases.

The solution is bi metal styling JPEG_20191026_181821

6 Likes

Thats also true for me. The only bi metals that dont give me that no fun vibe are ring in body or cup bi metals. The placement of the weight isnt just on the edge, but more in a different spot for a different feel. But there are exceptions.

1 Like

You could be right man, you could also be taking it too literally. Because a word is left out of a sentence or context doesnā€™t necessarily remove it entirely from the subject matter.

Just what I think anyway. Interpret it however it suits you.

Also, the Magicyoyo Katana is a good bi-metal, probably my favorite one. Fun comfortable shape and spins for ages.

2 Likes

Never.

2 Likes

I prefer bimetals because they can take more of the more stressful tricks. The monometals I like are the ones that play like bimetals.

3 Likes