Chasing the Unicorn Bi-Metal

And that’s fine. I just think it’s a yoyo that matches op’s requirements.

Any yoyo can be fun, whats fun is the tricks.

1 Like

You, good yoyo friend, are describing YYF EVO!

4 Likes

Hydrogen crash. Especially if you want to learn to go horizontal.

1 Like

The title of this thread keeps tripping me up because I have a bimetal in production called the “Unicorn”. I don’t think it quite matches your requirements though.

9 Likes

Reflection or centrifugal

7 Likes

How’s the EVO compared to the Bi-Metal Shutter? I was eyeing the EVO for some time now (especially the gunmetal colorway with rainbow rims…such a great combination) but the fact that it comes with a special tool to readjust the rims is more than off putting to me. Maybe I‘m wrong but that doesn’t seem very confident that they’ve released a premium product (for a more than premium price I might add). Or maybe it is just good costumer service to being able to tinker with it to reduce vibe or something. I do own many Bi-Metal throws from several different brands but non of them seemed to find it necessary to include such a tool from the get go…maybe because they were confident that their throw doesn’t need readjusting? I don’t know. I‘d be more than happy to get your (and every owner’s) insight on that matter and the throws performance.

2 Likes

I personally LOVE LOVE LOVE the Shutter EVO (seriously, it’s a top 5 bimetal for me) but I’ll say this… it’s one of the most divisive yoyos I’ve ever come across. I took it to DXL and while half thought it was super dope, the other half of the people that tried it thought it was weird and that it didn’t even feel like a yoyo lmao… so it’s definitely something that I would try before buying. Especially in OP’s situation.

I think part of the divisiveness comes from people’s expectations of it: it’s kinda like if you’re expecting to get into a super fast car like a Porsche 911 or something, but you actually get put into a Formula 1 car instead. The EVO is the Formula 1 car in this scenario. It feels more like a futuristic, string trick performance tool than a yoyo IMO - and while I think that’s dope as hell, that may not be what some people are looking for in a throw.

I own both, so I’ll make a quick comparison. The bimetal Shutter definitely feels like your typical, comfy, nicely-rounded-off Bimetal. The EVO however is much more angular in the hand, and you can really feel that width. What I do appreciate about the EVO is that while the body is angular, the rims are still comfortably rounded off to where catches aren’t sharp. But the thing is, the EVO has more kickback on a return than most bimetals I own. I can confidently say that it is one of the most POWERFUL and STABLE yoyos in my collection, if not the MOST powerful and stable. If those are the ONLY (or absolute most important traits) you are looking for in a yoyo, look no further than this thing. Seriously, it’s actually pretty impressive how truly difficult it is to knock the EVO off of its plane. It’s unbelievably good at horizontals for this reason, possibly the best yoyo I’ve used for em.

Now the downside, which you’ve already eluded to…

So yeah, I didn’t think I would actually need to end up using this tool, cause I didn’t imagine it slamming into the ground much, but I’ve found it is absolutely a necessity (and to my surprise, definitely not for that reason - it actually hasn’t ever touched the ground one time yet). But every time I’ve brought it to DXL I’ve had to come back home and readjust it w/ the tool because it’ll pick up (sometimes pretty intense) vibe from people knocking it on their hands too hard. I’ve experienced this myself in play, where I’ve had to tune it because the rim got eeevveerrr so slightly dislodged when it hit some bone-y part of my hand pretty hard. The very GOOD news about this is that the tool without a doubt works PERFECTLY, and after tuning it is seriously out of the box smooth, 0 detectable vibe at all. I don’t mind a little vibe, but when you have this tool - I guess, why not make it zero? lmao

Because of this though, the EVO has regulated itself to being a “stay at home throw,” meaning I probably won’t travel to contests with it (despite it being an awesome comp yoyo) due to the fact that I have to ALSO have the tool with me at all times in case it bonks something and needs to be tuned. The EVO is undoubtedly a performance MACHINE, but I guess the question anyone wanting to purchase one has to ask themselves is if they’re okay with the trade off of having to bring the tool around with you if you’re actually going places with it. If you’re only gonna be throwing at home, this is an absolute non-issue IMO. If you’re not, then it’s something to think about.

If pure performance is what you’re looking for, this throw is it - you just gotta ask yourself if you’re down for everything I mentioned above.

Mildy related: film photo I took awhile back of Shutter EVO, Butter, Wide Angle and regular Shutter

5 Likes

POV: Dressel acknowledges your release

4 Likes

Spence just summed it up pretty well. I will say that I have not had to tune after simply playing the yo-yo. I tuned once because I cracked it off my floor quite nicely. That little mishap induced a bit of vibe and after tuning…. Completely smooth!!

Any outter rim bimetal has the chance of knocking a ring out of alignment and other companies have sold tools for adjustment. This is just the first to include the tool and I think folks misinterpret the reason. I feel it’s a selling point and I’m not scared to rip this thing.

All that said, I like this sort of play feel at times. Solid, long spinning, can’t knock me of my plane throw. Some just don’t and F1 is good analogy!

Don’t hesitate!

Check it out…

4 Likes

The tool was included because of the ring fit fragility. The way the ring is fitted, it was identified that there was an issue with the ring getting popped off/out of alignment. Not to bash the yoyo, it plays fantastically, but it is hyper fragile for the outer rim market.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Maybe not but I can’t wait to play it!

1 Like

The rings are not that fragile, at least not on mine. They’re definitely not the press fit like most of the field, no denying that. The whack mine took induced a little vine but no more than typical vibe found on a lot of throws. It’s totally playable should you need to play on. Tuning it up when ur done is a benefit in my opinion. I guess I choose to believe it was design intent. Either way, I guess I can agree that it sent the wrong message.

I think it would be cool if you could press on different weight rings.

1 Like

Oh I was just clarifying the reason for the tool was because of the ring issue. I’m glad they included one and didn’t just slap a “fragile” sticker on it.

1 Like

That’s the real question…. Was it intentional (design intent) or an afterthought (bandaid). Only they know. I’m giving them benefit of doubt and going with intent. The tool works phenomenally!!

Sorry, @tigercasual didn’t mean to highjack your topic.

I like this digression. Being a serious yoyo nerd, this sort of thing fascinates me.

1 Like

Thank you guys very much @SR1 and @Shwa!

Those were really deep insights on that throw, almost a whole review by @SR1 with everything I wanted to know and even more.
It seems that the EVO is a really ‚special‘ throw. A little bit too special for my taste :sweat_smile: and that isn‘t just because of the rims issue. I like good performing throws of course but the EVO according to your descriptions seems to be a really specific Hyper-Performer which totally makes sense since it’s a signature throw for Gentry Stein.

3 Likes

Okay…

Thanks for all of the recommendations, I really appreciate it, you’re the best! Feel free to keep them coming, I’m maintaining a running list based on all of your suggestions.

In the meantime, I made my first buy based upon this thread:

The first one out of the gate is:

Motion YoYos Accelerated

I followed my gut with this one and I have to say… Man, what a great yoyo!

And while I’m on the subject:

During the selection process, I communicated with Jeremy from Motion. His communication and customer service are top-notch. Five out of five stars.

So, let’s combine great customer service with the fact that the Accelerated is, without a doubt, one of the best yoyos I’ve ever played, Motion yoyos have won a customer for life.

This one is a keeper!

Thanks again everyone.

Cheers,
Danny

11 Likes

Thank you for taking a chance on Motion, I appreciate it! So glad you are happy with the product :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That was a great explanation of the evo. Makes me want to pick one up now. You should get commissions from yyf.

1 Like