Cake’s String Reviews

I thought the restock was in 2 and a half/3 hours from when you posted? I nearly had a heart attack and had to double check since the forums rounded time lol.

1 Like

yeah that’s the point, i posted it early to help people decide what to buy before the restock went live :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: boosting for saturday ! :3

2 Likes

hello, quick week update:

i’ve been considering converting some string reviews to video format to help spread the word to non-forum people, what do you all think? formatting would probably go about the same as text reviews but with a bit more detail and some background footage of me doing (in my opinion, subpar) tricks. i also have no idea how to edit videos, so i’d have to figure that out too. i might rip from older reviews too, but add new or updated information while still including the grading system. reviews might also not be every saturday to split the workload evenly, they’d be more sporadic

i might be in over my head, but i thought about mentioning it regardless. video reviews based on text reviews would be only on strings i have repeats of to preserve accuracy and get the right footage. i’m open to all suggestions, thanks for reading :))

here’s a poll to decide next review too, because why not

• takeshi v3
  • hkmt arata
  • sochi fat
  • kitty polo
  • secret option ooooooo
0 voters
6 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re looking for opinions on video reviews, but I think they can be much more useful for people to understand what exactly you’re doing to test the string. Also would explicitly show how a string is behaving for certain types of tricks. Plus, it’s not like you can just go to a store and test string so it would be nice to see how a specific, named string performs in as close to “in-person” as one can get for a niche hobby

3 Likes

that’s a good point, i just wanted to know what the general consensus would be and if it would help anyone in a way that text can’t. it takes a lot of work out of me so i want to make sure other people will find use in it

6 Likes

If you need an editing software (and have access to a computer), then you should probably use Davinci Resolve. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it’s super professional and free!

2 Likes

I would definitely love to watch your reviews on video. For the editing use Davinci Resolve, the free version is already a professional tool, it takes a bit to getting used to but it’s the best you can find for free. If you prefer to do everything with your smartphone then use InShot, it has a free version but the paid version (10$ year) has a quite powerful set of colorgrading tools and other nice features. Again, InShot has the best value for the price among mobile video editing apps.

7 Likes

secret option ooo

Zipline EP .20/20 Keiran Cooper / Paul Harness || B (85/100)

Starting off, this string felt very textured, but not plasticy. Whips were VERY good, but i’m sure there’s a critique somewhere that someone better than me could find, so bear that in mind with this (and everything, to be fair). Slacks felt a bit dense or heavy, but it was still able to be fast if you put the technique in it. Nothing was bad by any means whatsoever, which is kind of a given with Zipline for the most part. The thickness felt like classical fat string (ex. Kitty Fat), but not modern OT Fat kind of style which makes up for slightly sloppy binds by just being so thick.

This is the long part. At about the 40 minute mark, i kind of realized that the tension holding is an issue. I would check the tension and it would have only one or two twists, but when i did tricks the tension would move down into the tiny string segments and mess up tricks like hooks, which kind of need you to either have no tension or amazing consistency. This kind of seems to happen when you pinch or put too much pressure on a string segment and slide it down the string, but it’s not a deal breaker by any means since you can always compensate with loosening the string more (or changing technique but i like blaming equipment :stuck_out_tongue: (joke)). In that sense, it DOES have good tension holding, it’s just hidden well.

The string was surprising durable and didn’t fray or lose color as fast as other white strings i’ve used, which is great coming from a boutique company like Zipline. At the hour, it still had the bounce level that the 30-minute measurement had (to my best estimate), along with some more baby frays. Whips still felt solid and reliable, and slacks were relatively the same but had some of that tension endgame starting to build. It also felt sticky, which may be just me. Wash your hands periodically with this just in case, since it started to FEEL yucky. Great poly(ish) string that ages super slow, check it out! Stats below.

Durability 30 min (4.5) lost a smidge of stretch
Durability 1 hr (5)
Personal Thickness Feel (3.5) slippy? but i deal
Whip Feel Break-In (5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (5)
Slack Feel Break-In (4.5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3.5)
Softness during break-in (3.5)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4)
Total: 42 x 2 = 85, 85 = B graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

I honestly feel like this was one of my fairest reviews yet, mainly because i got it all done in one day and the memory is fresh in my head. Or i’m getting better. Or both. That’s it!

12 Likes

I would like to believe your reviews are getting better and better cus you are growing too. Thanks for the content as always.

5 Likes

hard call, but no review today. preparing for huge exam, happy saturday :clinking_glasses:

15 Likes

Good luck you’re going to crush the exam!!!

5 Likes

Good luck we will be sad but manage.

5 Likes

here we go

Sochi Fat || C+ (79/100)
Sōchí String

It’s very slightly fat. Maybe it used to be fatter, but compared to what i’ve used, this is about average good 1A string thickness, maybe even some slip. During and after bit after the break in, whips and slack felt super nice to land and super consistsent, i’m very happy with this. It’s fast and light, but not too fast where you can lose control. It’s a bit thick, but not heavy by any means. Over time, the string actually didn’t fray and lose elasticity all that much! Whips became a bit harder to land to a point where sloppy technique can’t get you far, and slacks lost potential due to the tension constantly building up. It wasn’t extreme by any means, but it was noticeable. The tension holding was kind of bad, but better than some other fat strings which kind of snap at you when it gets enough tension or frays. I think this is a really solid string, it gets my approval :3 stats below.

Durability 30 min (4.5) very surprised, just a few frays
Durability 1 hr (4.5)
Personal Thickness Feel (4)
Whip Feel Break-In (4)
Whip Feel 1 hr (3) no being sloppy
Slack Feel Break-In (4)
Slack Feel 1 hr (3.5) gud
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3) averagely inconvenient
Softness during break-in (4.5)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4.5) same thing happens = gud
Total: 39.5 x 2 = 79, 79 = C+ graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

15 Likes

This generally aligns with my experience with Sochi, so I’m happy to hear I’m not the only person who feels this way. Confirmation bias FTW Thank you for the review

1 Like

:clinking_glasses:

Original Throw Normal || C+ (78/100)
Original Throw String

To preface, this is NOT like OT fat. I thought it would be a normal swap from a thicker to a less thick string, but this is basically a new string. I am very sad about it.

The actual wind of it is the loosest i’ve ever seen, and the softness of it is imitating nylon unsuccessfully. Slacks are on the light and fast side, but how thin the string doesn’t give me the consistency im used to with OT Fat and its own slacks. When the hour was up, it was way more light and floppy than I remembered beginning with. Whips are amazing, though, so that’s a plus. Slacks would be fine if it wasn’t for the pesky tension holding. I feel like it builds up fast but holds it fine, if that makes sense. It’s easy to tune back to neutral consistently, but I still feel like it builds just a bit quick. The durability is also very showing of the “bulk” side of the string, where it’s basically disintegrating in my hand. It just looks bad FAST and starts snagging on itself a bit more often, but it still has a lot of bounce. The consistency of this string is fine, nothing stuck out about how often I hit my tricks (maybe that’s the best kind of consistency though :3). Sorry for the scattered review, this string is kind of everywhere at once. That’s a good summary of this string, kind of everywhere and unfocused, but capable. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (2)
Durability 1 hr (4)
Personal Thickness Feel (5)
Whip Feel Break-In (5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (4)
Slack Feel 1 hr (2.5) kind of sad but it works
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (4.5)
Softness during break-in (4) too plush
Overall consistency over 1 hour (3.5)
Total: 39 x 2 = 78, 78 = C+ graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

edit: quick links and tier list have been updated :smiling_face:

18 Likes

kabam

Kitty String Signature Series: Polo Garbkamol || B- (82/100)

Interesting string! Felt fine on my hands, like professional quality poly. I’ve been using a lot of Kitty Fat and OT Fat, and this felt a lot like OT fat but without the overkill i saw. I believe I put OT fat at 4/5 thickness, and while i believe Kitty pulled it off better, it’s still a 4/5. Modern fat string isn’t my taste (really at all), but i can appreciate good fat string like this. As I used it, whips moved fast and reliably. I can’t do high hooks (yet) but i can see this being great for them. Slacks also felt AMAZING, and I’m im love with how quick and noticeable it moves. The string is naturally on the stiffer side, so its wear seems to be less noticeable. With how it felt on my fingers, I’d describe it as good string with a worn-in feel only. None of the performance is (or was) worn out. However, the worn feel is enough for me to be thrown off it as a favorite. If OT Fat is an average string, this is one that performs arguably better (?) with the tradeoff of being stiffer over time. It’s great string regardless. If the stiff and worn feel doesn’t throw you off, please give this a shot. Pretty slept on, but it has my approval! Stats below.

Durability 30 min (4.5)
Durability 1 hr (3)
Personal Thickness Feel (4)
Whip Feel Break-In (4.5) light! good!
Whip Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (5) beautiful
Slack Feel 1 hr (4.5) tension goop
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (3.5)
Softness during break-in (3)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4.5) bc
Total: 41 x 2 = 82, 82 = B- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

16 Likes

This is one of first posts I check when I get on here. Thanks for another obscure string review, always appreciated.

3 Likes

Glad you made this review, thanks. I have been going back and forth between normal and fat cause some of my yoyos like the Peregrine and Nucleon can be a little snaggy at times. Didn’t realize the normal was so different.

4 Likes

Brosky if they snag, silicone is the way, Permatex grey, if there is something I hate is the snagging! in this way you can use fat strings without problems (also sometimes Yoyofriends pads are grabby as hell)

4 Likes

I feel you, thanks man. I have ultra greyed a few of my yoyos. I been debating on doing it with some of the ones I named up there next. Right now they are in a decent state after wearing down for a few months but new they were super grippy. The only thing I don’t like about the grey is I killed a bearing on my recognition from a piece breaking off and going into the bearing. That said I probably will ultra grey them if the thickness of OTS fat makes it snaggy. I have been realizing some strings make whips and slack a whole lot easier for me than the aceyo bulk I been using.

3 Likes