Budget throw of the year, $50 or less

I bought a bgrade and had shipping issues and they sent me an Agrade and bud!! BOTH ended up coming so I swapped the halves to make a solid black and solid silver and BOTH are dead smooth A-grade quality :sweat_smile: tbh I don’t even know why the bgrade was a bgrade :man_shrugging:t5:

It has a beautifully smooth matte finish and spins for DAYS, to be honest I IMMENSELY underestimated this throw UNTIL I really gave it a shot and NOW it’s in my top 3 favourite throws!!!

5 Likes

$20 is an important price point for me. That is the most I am willing to spend for a yoyo that will be a gift to someone who does not yet throw. Still my favorite $20 or less yoyo is the First Base.

$50 is a good price point, an amount I will spend and take a chance on a yoyo for myself. Deep State is still my favorite $50 yoyo but Freehand One or One AL will be my next purchase.

Edit - Oh duh. … While cleaning the living room I found a FH1 AL that I bought when I ordered some gift yoyo’s. I forgot that I bought a gift for myself. Maybe I do have too many yoyo’s. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I relate to this hardcore.

Strongly recommend that 19.99 Skyline

2 Likes

AL FH1 for sure, it’s a CRAZY fun yoyo for 50 bucks.

For really cheap, the Magicyoyo K2 Crystal is an awesome way to get someone started yoyoing if you are buying a gift.

7 Likes

Magic yoyo Y03 Hertz is a great yoyo. Super cheap and good for everything. Also very smooth.

7 Likes

The Snack by Recess is a fun undersized throw for under 50,

And I dunno if this just came out this year, but the Magic yoyo K2 plus crystal is a really great plastic for ~12 bucks. Comes responsive and has extra axle and bearing for unresponsive. It’s a great deal for an edc beater IMO, but I also think it plays really well :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Civility Throwback. Was $40 and then $30 for b grades. Amazing bi-metal for the $.

YYF KO as mentioned. If you were/are a fan of the Too Hot and don’t mind loosing the IGR but gain a better blast, it’s a no brainer.

Throwback gang agrees. :wink:

7 Likes

Topyo Mojo. Best budget banger for your dollar, plays as good as a $100 mono, has the shape and fingerspin dimple to handle any way you throw it.

4 Likes

Just got mine. Love it, especially for $20. The two tone black/silver looks great. Mine had vibe and a noisy bearing out of the box, but I threw a Pixel in it and it smoothed out quite a bit. Gonna clean the DS bearing because I haven’t used one before and I’m hoping this one is salvageable.

3 Likes

I agree. One of my all time favorites

1 Like

I stuck a ceramic hybrid bearing and flow silicone in one of my Arcades and it’s on it’s second years as my EDC. Not all the blasts were the same and there were some ano spots that made them b grades but still great and the best IRG on anything I have tried.

4 Likes

the best I got last year at under $50 was the MK 1 Contact. Sweet throw.

Though, for the money, i got a YYF replay pro with the 5A Shutter combo. a $15 plastic unresponsive that plays great. that’s a budget throw.

kgb

edit: i don’t know when any of these were actually released. i just got them last year. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Got a Contact in the mail, I’m really looking forward to playing it. It has a number of design features that I enjoy, so I’m anticipating it being a new favorite.

Hated the Replay I got last year. The thing felt like a jackhammer on hand grinds and I felt the apparent QC issues warranted recommending something else to beginners. For someone with a $20 budget I think a b-grade Arcade, a used Shooting Star, or even something from MYY would be much better calls - but I may have gotten a bad apple. I just really haven’t ever had a good experience with molded plastic.

1 Like

Same. Got a Replay secondhand because of the Gentry Stein connection, figured it must at least be decent.

That thing is proof that winning is the player not the tool. What a piece of crap.

5 Likes

I’m Happy you got it “smoothed out”:smirk: :joy: pun aside, the reason I believe mine were smooth was because I swapped an Agrade half to make 2 solid throws :thinking::joy: but to be honest I vastly underestimated it until
I took an honest “edc shot” lol and it grew to be one of my favourite throws EVER :sweat_smile:

(I got my Agrade free because of shipping delay issues and ended up getting both orders eventually :sweat_smile: or I probably would’ve only also Bought bgrade :grin:)
Went and read my previous comment only to see I legitimately just replied the same thing :man_facepalming:t5: Hey at least you know that’s definitely my opinion on the matter :joy:

1 Like

My favorite throw I got for under $50 was the Duncan Orbital GTX. Normally it’s not a budget throw but during their Yoyo Day sale it was half off so I paid $45. Just figured it’s worth mentioning, keep an eye out for sales! A good discount can easily turn a “Wow that’s kinda pricey” into a “Wow what a bargain!”

Of course, the yoyo day sale was… interesting. Here’s hoping Duncan has their new system figured out before June this year.

4 Likes

Skyline for sure. Cant beat that price point for such a fun nostalgic feeling yoyo. Right now they are $20!

2 Likes

From what I’ve tried that came out in 2021: (Daredevil, Saboteur, Guitarist, Bangarang, Koi, revamped Sk8er)

Only the Saboteur (B grade), Sk8er and Koi are under $50. Out of those three I’d pick the Koi. It’s an excellent throw a single cent under the price limit. But if you have $10 more I’d buy a Guitarist.

As for best budget throw I played for the first time in 2021.
MagicYoyo Node (Y01). It’s cheap, it’s fast, powerful, stable. Could use a little better fingerspin capability but other than that it’s got everything a person needs in a good throw. Plus for $50 you can almost buy 3 of them. Making sure you don’t have to worry about destroying one.

4 Likes

As others have suggested, whether one was around for the 888 seems to be a key to whether they care for the Skyline. FWIW, I personally was not and so I was excited to try a hubstack yoyo in the Skyline. I no longer own it.

2 Likes

I really wish the Skyline was better rec’d by newer players but your statement helps me understand. I love doing rip starts and then tossing it in the air, landing in trapeze and then going ham, lol. I also don’t have an 888 and it’s not the same as an 888, but it will do in a pinch

2 Likes