Best place to buy Titanium throws?

I never tried that one. But, I figured there might be one or two out there, where someone tried to “push the limits” and pushed too far. :smiley: As I go through collecting these, I might have to skip that one.

As I’ve said many times so far, a yo-yo that is collectible, plays great, looks great, is more durable overall, and includes extras, is certainly worth having. I think people can spend their money how they choose. I certainly got my money’s worth. I love the Ricochet.

Why not have cutting edge that plays fantastic. The Sovereign played great, was extremely comfortable, used the properties of titanium to push the weight distribution, AND it cost around the price of the Ricochet when it was on sale.

This is not YYF’s first titanium. That honor goes to the $400+ Catch 22.

I was not a fan of it either. That being said it is also now a 5 year old yo-yo. At the time it came out it was highly regarded by many players. By today’s standards it is more of a collectors piece, similar to the Peak.

I don’t have conversations with some people on here, so I just ignore them. But, if you guys want to see how I would respond on this subject, see the Ricochet thread. There is plenty there to read. ;D

That is fine, the question is open to anyone reading, I was just addressing the person making the point.

Since the point is lost in the Ricochet thread I will ask it here as well, without asking for a cross section. What is the point of making a titanium without taking advantage of the properties. The Ricochet could have been done in 7075 aluminum and achieve the same performance. If this is the gateway titanium yo-yo then shouldn’t it be inexpensive with a high number run AND showcase what titanium can do. It can have a classic shape, like the Sovereign or the Aurora and still push the properties of titanium. Both the Sov. and Aurora are classic butterflies and both play amazing. I am not knocking the play of the of the Ricochet but more wanting to know why it NEEDED to be made from titanium at all.

There seems to be so much talk of “limitations of aluminium”, “thin walls” and “cutting edge design”, but has any Ti throw noticably out-performed the best that Aluminium has to offer?

YYR have the Draupnir, a 7075 Aluminium/Steel hybrid. They also have the Dazzler, a TI throw that’ll costs like 3 times the price. Does anyone really think that they’d pick up a dazzler and instantly throw 6 minute combos and say “flip, the Draupnir looks crap compared to this!”

No. I doubt it’ll perform any better… and even if it does, it sure as heck won’t play $300 better. If you’re buying Titanium throws for performance over Aluminium, then you’re wasting your money. If you’re buying them for novelty or for a collection, then that’s up to you.

Darn, hit the quote button instead of modify…

You make some great points. It isn’t just about performance but also the feel of the yo-yo. I have thrown aluminum, titanium, and magnesium throws in my day, not to mention a multitude of plastics. When a designer takes advantages of the unique properties inherent in the materials you will get a yo-yo that feels totally different than anything else on the market. A good example is the General-Yo Magnum. I have NEVER thrown a yo-yo like that before and I have yet to throw one that feels the same as it since. The Aurora, Sovereign, and even the Catch-22 give unique play that comes from knowing how to work with the materials.

The Catch-22 is what has me so perplexed with the Ricochet. YYF knows how to design, I am no fan of the company at all and yet I still would love to own one of these. It was a crazy blend of chunky titanium rims and a svelte aluminum body and I was impressed with the play, even though the price tag was so cost prohibitive. If the YoYoFactory of 2008 can be so innovative why is the YoYoFactory of 2013 being so darn lazy when using the same material? Heck, the 2003 YoYoFactory was pushing limits like no one else with their Red Alert series which produced the 888, you don’t see them doing much like this anymore. There has been no regime change, so I can only assume that they have shifted their focus away from challenging themselves, leaving other companies to take risks and reap the benefits of doing so.

A conversation about titanium again.

Two words: ti walker

To Do List:

1. Get Ricochet
  2. Expect it to play the same as aluminum
  3. Not care
  4. Yoyo in public
  5. Walk that flippin dog till its on fire
  6. Put out fire
  7. Get ladies
  8. Get money
  9. Get sponsored
  10. Be happy

just because the walls are not super thin doesn’t mean it’ll play the same as an aluminum yoyo. I’d find it to be pretty amazing if you could have a titanium and aluminum yoyo that play exactly the same as each other and have the same exact specs. That being said I own a titanium throw specifically for the sake of sparking it so have no need for any uniqueness in it since I plan to beat it up. If I didn’t have a titanium throw already I would have picked this up a ricochet because it’ll always be a novelty to me. I have plenty of excellent compettition ready aluminum throws that I’d rather be playing than any of the titaniums currently on the market. Look at the sovereign for example since you love it so much. Of course it pushes the boundaries of titanium but I’m not going to compete with it for just that reason since the shape isn’t very condusive towards that style of play. You’ll only see me throwing my titanium throw when I’m outside at night because that’s when it’s properties come into play and I can have fun with it.

I’ve noticed that many people here hold the opinion that the Ricochet would play the same if it was made out of aluminum. But how do we know if this is true? It HASN’T been made out of aluminum, so we really have no way of knowing. And the people who actually own the yoyo say it plays fantastic, so YYF obviously did something right in regards to design. They very well could have taken advantage of titanium (though maybe to a lesser extent than other companies), they just might not market it as such.

All this talk about the Ricochet makes me want it even more. I think the lawn mover will be seeing more of me pretty soon.

I doubt this was aimed at me, or I guess it doesn’t matter if it was, but either way…since I was here earlier saying similar things to this, you made me think that I should clarify that I don’t believe it plays the same as it would in aluminum. It wouldn’t because the metals are different weights, so the same design wouldn’t translate to the same yoyo. Titanium is so much heavier, that it would almost certainly have been designed as a titanium yoyo.

I just find it underwhelming that the design they chose doesn’t actually do anything that you couldn’t do very similarly with aluminum. I don’t think it can be argued that titanium is adding any benefit to play, or is there for any reason besides saying the yoyo is titanium. The reason I have to believe this is that ben could have easily just said “the design does take advantage of titanium’s unique properties, but the cross section is proprietary information” and that would’ve taken care of it. And he would’ve wanted to say that if he could because it makes the yoyo look good…but he couldn’t say that because it’s not true.

I’m sure it’s a fun yoyo. There’s no reason it couldn’t be. It’s just a very expensive yoyo when you look at its design vs. other yoyos of similar design…and I suspect this to be the case because the yoyo’s design was driven by cost-effectiveness and not by performance, as per yyf’s own spokesperson. That’s all.

What are some yo-yos you consider of similar design to the Ricochet…aluminum ones?

I didn’t say there were any. I mean, I do think there are plenty of yoyos that have a basic, rounded organic shape like the Ricochet…I guess if you want one, how about the bape 2/viszilla? I guess that’s one that springs to mind of similar size.

…but I don’t want to get on that track because whether or not there were any doesn’t really have any bearing on the argument I’m making.

Yea. That was in my opening post/question. I have the ricochet :wink:

So, what was the price of the very similar bape 2/viszilla? It’s not titanium, but what was the retail price of it?

Well said.

As for the rest of you, I don’t have nearly enough time to read through all that. You silly clucking hens.

OP, I’d say your best bet is on these forums at possibly at contests. But it also helps to follow the media feeds of different companies. Most have Facebook pages that post upcoming yoyos and news.

And I believe the new Oxy Hyperion is going to be $500. I remember reading it somewhere, but I can’t for the life of me remember.

They were 25% less, and those two were already considered extremely expensive yoyos. Proved to be far too expensive, as YYE can’t give away their Bapes.

So, what was the price tag of them? How expensive were they exactly? I don’t own them.

.75 x 200