Any other isolated throwers?

When you live in a town of less than 800 adults, not only are you an isolated thrower, you’re just isolated! :smile:

Just got back from a long road trip and went through the Tacoma area. Three friends were yoyoing together in public and the public was asking questions. I recognized many of the stickers on one of their cases, one from YYE and thought, “going to make some yoyo friends.” I was so wrong.

Oh well, I’m sure the next group of throwers I meet will be more representative of yoyoing as a whole.

Glad to be back home, isolation and all.

2 Likes

I say we start a YYE and R/throwers fund to get you to Worlds next year! I’d bet you would make finals if you set your mind to it.

3 Likes

lol Not doubting his abilities but I’d say world finals is a bit of a stretch for your first competition.

I think @eos44 should try an online competition like scales open, then move on to the nearest national comp.

2 Likes

If YYE forum was a dating app this would be the perfect introduction!

3 Likes

Maybe, but can you imagine the badass freestyle @EOS44 would come up with if you told him there was 2k in an account ready to fund his WYYC trip next year!

3 Likes

What happened? They were jerks?

3 Likes

You shouldnt be to down on your self. Non throwers are pretty easily impressed. Something as simple as Matrix blows minds.

3 Likes

I so so appreciate the sentiment @TheThrowingGnome but @MoosaK is super right. I’m not that good lol, i would get destroyed on a contest like Worlds. Probably in the future when im better and have saved a little money i will totally visit you guys one day for a contest (:

3 Likes

Humble eh… All the best throwers are like that. :thinking:

6 Likes

I was at first, but I think it was more because I was still just learning the basics. Now after a little over a year I carry a yoyo pretty much everywhere I go, and play with it whenever there’s a chance. You’d be surprised how many people’s minds you will blow with basic combos. I actually got called a “yoyo wizard” yesterday, and I’m just thinking “if you only knew how much of a noob I am at this” lol.

6 Likes

I don’t know if they are jerks but they were using their yoyoing knowledge and skills as a platform to look down their noses at others. We’ve all seen people do this with various activities, maybe have even done it ourselves, part of the human equation I guess. Being genuine can be a scary thing. Growing up isn’t always an easy process.

I had my yoyo, answered some questions for the group that felt disrespected and then said goodbye to my yoyo as a young girl walked away with it smiling from ear to ear. I think that was my best yoyo move in quite some time!:wink:

4 Likes

:heart:

1 Like

lol, my cousin actually called me a “yoyo wizard” to her friends, and im definitely still a beginner (ok, maybe intermediate, but barely). I can nail Kwyjibo with my eyes shut, but can’t land Spirit Bomb more than once in 15 attempts.

@skitrz - were they basically just throwing 1A tricks, saying how hard it is, and not allowing kids to ding their metal yoyos? Not everyone is a yoyo evangelist, so without more context I can’t really make a judgment on what you experienced. Though the way you put it, im imagining teen-aged kids acting “cool” to younger kids and their parents.

2 Likes

No offense to @EOS44 but the difference is huge. He wouldn’t even make semis. Getting out of wildcard would be an accomplishment

There’s a lot of insane players out there.

This guy didn’t make semis:

Along with other great sponsored players like Ryota Ogi, Tylor Mccalumore, Yulin Li, Daniel Kim, Shane Lubecker, Petr Kavka along with others

And keep in mind on stage you only have 1 take. I’m sure that’s not the case in Eos’ clips

3 Likes

Everyone needs practice. While he might not be able to make prelims or semis right now, I feel like he has the trickset and motivation to do so, given that he goes to some smaller competition and adapts to the competition scene.
World finals requires excessive practice more than just skill. If you can put in the practice, hours every day all year, you have a chance.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m sure if he put his mind to it he could someday make semis. Finals is still another complete beast though.

1 Like

Honestly, the number of people who have been interested in my yoyoing far FAR outweighs anyone who has thought I was weird. Most folks have never seen anything past rock the baby and around the world, so anything past that seems really fascinating to them. You don’t need to be “contest ready” to get a smile out of someone who doesn’t throw a yoyo.

Was just the envy of a dozen folks at the brewpub last night because I wasn’t bored to tears as we waited 30 minutes for a dang beer (slowest bartender ever). I just sat and threw and worked on a couple rando tricks that I’ve somehow forgotten how to do. One of them even said “You’re the smart one here, none of us have anything to do but stare at our phones”.

Anyone who looks down on someone for a hobby isn’t someone you’d want to bother spending time with. Every interesting person I know has at least one activity that they are a bit obsessed with. I’ve got friends who, fish, LARP, knit, play in jazz bands, ride MTB, and so on. It’s not really any less silly to tell people that there are 12 bikes and 20 fly rods in my garage than that there are 100 yoyos in my cases. All hobbies are amazing and goofy in equal measure.

3 Likes

This is exactly it right now.

1 Like

This seems so true!
Sometimes I get all caught up in things and forget to just relax and enjoy myself. lol I don’t have to be perfect…being okay is…well…okay!

I spend a lot of time watching others in this hobby that are leagues ahead of me in skill…but I forget that for those who don’t yo…I myself am leagues ahead of them. (SO don’t mean that as a brag)

1 Like

Isolated thrower is all I’ve ever known, so it’s my normal. Suddenly having people to throw with would seem odd, but it’s a fast track to learning new things, and would welcome it.

2 Likes