Any other isolated throwers?

I wish I had people who were better at yoing than me to hang out with.
I’d love to learn from others first hand.
It’s just a really good way to get better at things I find. Like with magic: the gathering…I seek out people who are better than me because it forces me to become better. I thrive on that challenge.
I also don’t really push myself very hard in yoing. I think I could be making a ton more progress than I’m making if only I’d put more effort into things. I think if I had 3d world yo-yo peoples to hang out with, I’d have more motivation to push harder.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about starting up a club of sorts in my small town at some point for some kids.
It’d be fun and all…but it wouldn’t give me what I really crave…people that I myself can learn from.

2 Likes

Man I love throwing in public! I mostly throw at my restaurant when I’m expoing, and we have an open kitchen. The other day, there was a slow point, and my wife finished up the few tickets she had. I picked up my yoyo, and she came around just to talk. I was throwing some simple flips-binds/regens, just casual stuff I can do while holding a conversation. Completely forgot there was a table of 8 people about 15’ behind me… we both turned around at one point and all of them were watching! Her and I kinda chuckled, and so did they, and they said “wow that’s like a dieing art! That’s really impressive!” Sorry for the long response btw, it’s just funny, because most people that have seen me throw think it’s pretty neat!

4 Likes

*Commence 10 minute lecture on how yoyo is actively thriving and that it is in fact not dying. (gramar nazi informing you that dieing refers to coloring and not death).

2 Likes

I kept it to about 2 minutes lol. And thanks for the grammar lesson! Honestly I rely pretty heavily on my autocorrect :joy:. 12 years working in kitchens has taken its toll on my spelling, because we abbreviate pretty much everything!

2 Likes

If I had your skill level I’d be much more comfortable playing in front of people too. I just think that the best way to show people that yoyoing isn’t as lame as their preconceptions might make them believe is to execute a series of impressive combos with authority and skill. I ain’t there yet…

2 Likes

In my experience, a simple double or nothing/matrix will blow most people away!

1 Like

Yeah I don’t really mind yoyoing in public in front of strangers either, I just wouldn’t go out of my way to talk about it if I didn’t have one on me

And just remember. Where you’re at right now would be considered world class 1a 20 years ago :joy:

4 Likes

More so if you land the double or nothing into the slack to wrap around to do the matrix. They think you are a pro, lol. Im so smooth at this because it is one of the 5 tricks I constantly do :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Idk what the slack wrap you’re speaking of is lol, so you must be a pro!! Haha

2 Likes

More like instead of landing into double or nothing, you land it right into the matrix part that you drop down. I dont know how to properly explain it most likely, but the string loop is slacked. It looks real smooth and most likely how the trick is properly executed. I ain’t that good :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Have you ever been to a comp? I think you would do pretty well

5 Likes

As a 39 y/o woman who started throwing in April and now owns 31 yo-yos :shushing_face:… I live through online forums, YouTube videos, and the Level Up system. I practice alone in my garage at night so as not to wake the husband and kid. I live 45 minutes away from YoyoFactory so this is probably silly to some extent, but I’m still trying to get past the awkward stage and find the confidence to more fully join the community somehow. Since teen-aged boys and young men seem to make up a lot of the community I feel like the (justifiable) reaction to me trying to join a club would be “Who invited their mom to hang out? :unamused:

15 Likes

Ditto hahaha

1 Like

I think you should just put yourself out there, and if anyone gives you any grief, just shoot them the “mom glare” that strikes fear into everyone in the world. Men in particular! Lol

3 Likes

Never in my life. I would love to make a freestyle one day.

3 Likes

You should do the next Scales Open

2 Likes

Any so cal throwers out there?

1 Like

The internet certainly helps me to feel less isolated but there are no yoyo players anywhere near where I live.

3 Likes

I’m in the DMV area :slight_smile:

1 Like