Any knife guys?

I carried this when I was in the Navy, embarrassed to say how many years ago.

4 Likes

Cool, didnā€™t know Buck had a spa program. Iā€™ll have to look into it. His 110 is in pretty good shape, Iā€™d be comfortable carrying it on a fishing trip (I usually carry a 110 fishing). But may just leave it for now, itā€™s how he left it. Itā€™s good to know though for the future when it really needs it.

3 Likes

That would definitely set you up really well. Maybe even be slightly overkill. I find the skew tools super handy for fine details in hard to reach spots, so I would maybe add on the 3 piece skew set. Thatā€™s just personal preference though.

I have the 1.5mm, 2mm, and 3mm 5 piece sets. I like the tiny ones because they make it easier to reach things sometimes but, if you think about it, the 3mm set should theoretically be able to do everything. If youā€™ve got a 3mm V tool, there is a 1.5 mm and 2 mm V in there too. I donā€™t know if Iā€™m making any sense. Haha.

I guess what Iā€™m getting at is, for me, personally, the 3 mm 5 piece set would be sufficient. It will have a skew, V, U, straight, and plough. Then maybe also pick up a flexcut detail knife and you should be set.

Also, a good strop and compound is paramount. Flexcut makes a little strop board with different grooves for sharpening different tools, but itā€™s not really necessary. You can make one pretty quick easy with the tools you mean to strop. There are plenty of tutorials showing how.

Whatā€™s your favorite detail knife? I know Flexcut are nice, but I like ā€œspecialā€ things :joy:

2 Likes

If you can get a helvie, I would do that. They can be hard to get, I think.

Honestly, of things that are available, readily, flexcut is the best that I know of. Itā€™s been a couple years since I kept up with it. Iā€™m sure there are better that Iā€™m just unaware of.

I think Pfeil is a good brand but I never tried their detail knives. I would like to one day.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been on the list for a Helvie. I guess more will be made this fall.

1 Like

Awesome! They are beautiful knives.

I blame @AaronW for this.

Sold a few more things and got a decent enough deal on the FB group for my first GEC in about 4 years. Only thing this lacks is a half stop. Fit and finish is fabulous. I received it a day before my conference so I whipped up a quick slip from some veg tan leather and toted it with me several hundred miles. Beautiful.

5 Likes

There is a Northwoods release tomorrow at 4pm ET at KnivesShipFree.com if you want to give it a go and try to get one :grimacing:

Oh donā€™t tell me that! Iā€™ll have to post more yo-yos later! Then again, Iā€™ve never owned or held a northfieldā€¦. Always wanted to see the higher fit and finish. That 39 in camel bone is up tomorrow?

Itā€™s this one, and this is the page itā€™ll be posted on:

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/northwoods-hawthorne-jack-2024/

And if youā€™re on the site at 4:00:59 ET youā€™re probably too late.

1 Like

Round #2

Tried this one without instructions. Messed up on the arms but was able to make it work.

Enjoying the Flex Cut Detail Jack.

9 Likes

Your def getting better.

2 Likes

There is a marked improvement. And the first one was already great on its own, let alone for a first carving.

Great work dude! Keep ā€˜em coming!

One of my favorite things about carving was the ā€œmistakesā€. Not at first, at first they were very stressful, but after you mess up a couple times and find a way to fix it, often times to a better end result than the original intention, it becomes kind of fun.

Youā€™d be amazed how much wood you can take off without ā€œmessing it upā€. I actually find that, the more wood you remove, the better it looks. Donā€™t be afraid to make those cuts DEEP.

Daaaaang! I just sharpened up my
Little case knife, Iā€™m gonna have to try catching up to you!

1 Like

I learned that long ago with wood working, along with other things. Messing up isnt as important as what you do to ā€œfixā€ or overcome it.

Greatness comes from learning and working through mistakes.

1 Like

Thatā€™s rad!

My wife got me this for Fatherā€™s Day from a cool local knife company. Admittedly Iā€™m hesitant to use it much because of how nice it is.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly why you NEED to use it. Also sheā€™ll like seeing you use it daily. Just saying.

6 Likes

I agree with this

1 Like