Any knife guys?

Great idea!

Ill give it a try.

Was not intentional. Thought this Whittle guy looked cool and followed along on YouTube.

3 Likes

I so need to start trying to whittle again. My hands have been so awful since all my vitamin levels crashed, but we’re building them up and my hands have improved. I almost feel like I can try whittling again. I did pick up a little knitting though.

I’m stealing your gnome because he’s too darn adorable. We’ll, stealing the design anyways.

3 Likes

You need a little v gouge now, to get that beard texture just right! It’ll pull the whole thing together.

2 Likes

Excellent start bro!! Love seeing the kids involved. I love seeing people do things with their children these days. Not much of that going on anymore.

2 Likes

8 Likes

And this is how it starts…… next thing you know you’ve got a12 pound leather roll of expensive little tools. Yep got the whole set!
That’s a Louis vatton roll there, from the global something something.

4 Likes

Haha. This feels like a personal attack :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah carving knives work the same as yo-yos. Gotta spend 100s of dollars, to try everything, to realize you only need a few.

I do have a canvas roll with tons of decent knives and a few nice ones, that mostly never got used. I could’ve been content with 1 detail knife and 1 set of dockyard micro tools.

Honestly, the cheap carving set at harbor freight will get the job done. It’s not comfortable but it works.

2 Likes

New handle:
Gnome hanger.

2 Likes

I don’t normally get to build things for myself, but I finished up this late birthday present today.

7 Likes

Can you provide more info?

The long and short of it is I make custom Swiss Army knives. This started life as the blue scaled old cross settler with the clip blade. The main blade was pretty beat and broken and the clip blade had a bent tip. I was able to straighten the bent tip and replaced the main blade and then I added in the electricians blade and opener layer. Finally, I drilled everything out to accept steel pivots and screws. I don’t know if that answered everything but if you have more questions feel free to ask.

4 Likes

You gotta see his Instagram……

2 Likes

I want a titanium officers. My corkscrew somehow got skewed.

1 Like

Thank you, for broken tools like corkscrews I usually recommend sending them back for repair and then adding the ti scales. I have a few sets of ti and zirc scales for future builds.

1 Like

Oh yes!

5 Likes

I was at my dads for Father’s Day and ran into some old friends :smiley:

The sheriff was one of my earlier carvings and the beach bum was one of my later carvings, right before my hiatus started. Once my kids are a bit older and I start having time again, I’m going to get back to it. I miss this stuff so much. I’m glad this thread got started. It’s helped me remember just how much I love it.

9 Likes

Here are my “family” knives.

Upper left is my dad’s boy scout knife (Camillus brand), next to that is my Grandpa’s Boker. The two black knives are a Kamp King and Forest-Master from Imperial/Colonial brand. The final is a US made Winchester. I’ve also got a very early Buck 110 of my grandpa’s and an original Rapala filet knife from the 60’s.

I really need to take the time to get these cleaned up. They’re all almost impossible to open, need a screwdriver to pry them open.

7 Likes

What set do you think is the best if you want to just buy a set and be done? The 10 piece Atlas?

1 Like

That’s cool, I have an old 110 my father got in the earl 80s, and it was in nice shape, but it would not snap closed. I sent it back, and for a very small fee Buck will get it like new and sharpened. You may want to look into the Buck SPA treatment, very well worth it, although it takes many weeks.

5 Likes