Any knife guys?

Shaving with a straight razor is very masculine. Best shaves of my life. Other than occasionally using a Double edge safety razor, I have not used a disposable razor since 2009.

Straight Razors can be their own rabbit hole; Hardware = Razors, Brushes, Strops. Software = Shave Soaps and After Shave.

I have aquired razors from 1856 to 2023. All have their own personalities and feel.

2 Likes

Thanks, good info.
This falls in a wide range of years, but I was guessing it was older than me… fortunately some of those years are.

I got this one to carry.

5 Likes

Looks like it’s a 1940-1964 before they started doing them by year and decade

From the Peanut gallery.
Trapper Nut

Single blade Peanut

5 Likes

That’s awesome! That blade has been used/sharpened a ton! I love knives like that, I can only imagine how much work it has done.

2 Likes

My Great Uncle lived in the house he and my grandmother were raised in all his life. Whenever we’d visit I’d sneak up stairs and look at his DE and straight razors. I wish I would’ve been old enough when they auctioned everything to have gotten those and one of his pocket knives.

2 Likes

Making Progress for my Whittling Club application.

As a knife snob, this little guy spent a decent amount of time on the stones. Not surprising for a $32.00 knife. It was functional out of the package, but like I said, Im a snob.

6 Likes

Dude! Great start! That’s awesome! And that edge looks reeeally nice

2 Likes

That’s rad! Check out Pinewood Forge if you want to upgrade to a fixed whittler. I have a couple and spoon carving knife from them and they are top notch. I have an OCC fixed too and it’s nice.

3 Likes

10 Likes

Got the whole fam down!

1 Like

I love this so much. Very cool, man.

1 Like

Please accept my application to the Whittle Club. This is the Whittle guy.

12 Likes

Excellent work dude! Gnome on a gnomad! Awesome!

3 Likes

Ill clean him up more. Lesson learned, my cut resistant glove leaves residue on the object.

1 Like

I never used gloves but I should’ve. Still, there was residue on my finished pieces. It was unavoidable unless I just constantly washed my hands throughout the process, which is just not realistic.

Paint!

I always thought I wouldn’t want to paint them, until I started painting them. It became one of my favorite steps. It covers the dirt, then you throw a little antiquing on top of the paint to simulate dirt. And it looks amazing. Haha. Well worth a try in my opinion.

Or just a quick wipe with some sandpaper if you want to keep the natural look.

2 Likes

Does gnomeo work as a counterweight?

3 Likes

Ooohhhh, now you got me thinkin :thinking:

That’s a good idea

I thought that was intentional! It looks cool on his hat.

That’s a super cool idea