A Sized Bearing YoYo Love (Small Bearings)

Ahh ok. So in @Exmime’s pics above that isn’t blue grease that’s a blue rubber shield. That makes more sense now. In my earlier post I was talking about the bearing as if it was just packed with grease (blue) and left exposed. (Which seems like it would make a greasy mess lol)

2 Likes

My bad on the initial description, I’ve never had a bearing this small with a rubber shield , I know Park Tools (bike maintenance brand) makes a grease similar to that color so that was my initial assumption. Thanks for the insight @DocPop. I’ve only had taken it apart a couple of time for the close up pics, with the this response and greased bearing, there should be very little maintenance to keep this playing as well as it does.

3 Likes

No worries. I was genuinely confused lol.

@MrYoyoThrower just announced a couple more Rain City A bearing releases coming up in the next two months. Big news for A bearing fans, looking forward to the new Sk8er

5 Likes

Another A bearing Micro to hit the market this year

2 Likes

I’ve got a Quail that I play responsive and it’s the best. The Quail is a rare example of a yoyo that plays amazingly both responsive and unresponsive, not many yoyos can pull that off. I also enjoy my Weekender, Independent and Freehand 2. I really wanna get an OG Freehand at some point for history points

1 Like

I have a YYF Confusion that I just got from the BST. It has really blown me away how much it brings me back to the 90’s. Loving doing regens without having to bind and ending tricks with shoot the moon. Hope YYF makes more of these, read that the GT isn’t as good at responsive.

4 Likes

Couple of weeks ago @Myk_Myk encourage me to up date this A Bearing thread. There have been several new A bearing throws since I last posted and feel free to post up your own. I’m going to try and get s few more up that I’ve been holding out on. There are also some new exciting A bearings being released later this summer as well.

Here is a great hidden gem and these got and still get a lot of positive feedback back that can be searched here in the forums and the new large bearing version is also well received and still available here on YYE as of this posting. This is The 2009 Screaming Eagle MayhemM from Duncan. There are a few in the Screaming Eagle series that were released for several years in the early part of the decade with a variety of bearing sizes, shapes, signatures and gimmicks, but the MayheM was based off of the beloved FHZ shape. With a diameter of 52mm and a width of 40mm is was full size for the time, but more mid-size by today’s standards. Mine is set up with the original flat A bearing and has the .555 pads of the day. This is a great smaller organic with a nice long axle that was machined in the USA and is as smooth as any other premium organic I have in my collection. Always have been a Duncan Crew fan and Takeshi’s cut of the 2009 Mayhem promo is a good one. Here are some pics of the packaging, the response and bearing and some comparison shots with the 2019 MayheM.

7 Likes

6 Likes

underdog, by matt schmidt…

mgodzilla

sunny…

7 Likes

Being the eve of one of this year’s big A bearing releases the @MrYoyoThrower and @DocPop POP ART, I wanted to post this one from last year that I’ve been meaning to share, the Rain City Skills Small Bearing SK8R. I was excited for both SK8R editions and was waiting on the drop clock to add these to my YYE cart at each release. Being a skateboarder myself and an avid YoYoer I was adding these to my collections of skateboard memorabilia and yoyos regardless. I also wanted to describe their behaviors in play as well only using skateboarding analogies. At first, I thought I would compare them to Independent Trucks, as Indys are really the standard as trucks go in the skateboarding world, even though I spent a few years on Thunders and Ventures. I would say the SK8R C bearing would be like a pair of Indy 149s and the SK8R A bearing would be like 139s or 144s depending on how you set them up. But this analogy does not really tell the whole story or describe how they actually play different and that’s why I’m also not comparing them to wheels, as the gimmick is that they are shaped like a skateboard wheel. RCS did executed the SK8Rs wheel playability compared to the World Industries Fakies offerings of the early 2000s. The SK8R A bearing is a few grams lighter than the previous released C bearing version and can be set up to play responsive with lube or grease, but they both came unresponsive out of the package with flat bearings. The Small Bearing SK8R did come with an extra Center Trac A bearing, but I like to ride my trucks loose, so I still have it set up with the flat bearing thin lubed unresponsive. In play relative to skateboarding I would say the Small Bearing Sk8R would be my set up for skating marble ledges and filming street lines, where the Large Bearing SK8R would be my park set up, though I would probably pick the Large Bearing Sk8R if I was doing a casual slappy session with my homies. If you skate these are a must have, the Delrin grinds well on a lot of surfaces especially rails and the ledges at the skate park and in the streets. Time to go skate.

11 Likes

i LOVE THIS! Thank you so much for the review!
With your permission, I’d love to repost this on my blog, it’s such a well-written review!

4 Likes

QUAILLLL

7 Likes

Please feel free to repost and share the link. Just give’n some A bearing love @MrYoyoThrower. Enjoying everything you’ve been doing with Rain City Skills.

3 Likes

Great write-up! I was recently looking at this yo-yo (I’m a sucker for A size yos), so you’re review is timely.

Indys are fine trucks definitely no arguments there, but I’ve been a Thunder fan myself for decades…after starting out on Gullwings.

4 Likes

Still have to get a small bearing sk8r eventually. Waiting for a sale. Maybe black Friday ill pick one up haha.

3 Likes

I love mine. I miss Matt.

1 Like

The all blue looks soooo cool!!! I need to flip mine to A bearing now.

1 Like