60 Dollar yoyo

So I have around two years of yo-yo experience, and need a new yoyo. So far the only metal yoyo ive had is a Shutter yoyo. I LOVE it, but sadly I lost somewhere in the city. So now I’m looking for a new yoyo around the 60 dollar price range that spins with ease and is comfortable in the hand. I like the idea of it being able to finger spin but that’s not necessary. Also, I checked out a Bettynova and I like it, but I wanted to see if there was anything better. I’d like to switch things up and not get a shutter, unless it really is the best option.

Thanks! Any help Is appreciated!

1 Like

Oh man the Shutter really is a good yoyo… i hear a lot of people like the JDS shutter. If i hsd 60 for 1 yoyo, thats what it would be for me

3 Likes

I own almost every variation of the shutter.

The shutter is good, each other version after it is an improvement.

Not exactly the shutter but VERY closely related is the Element.

Either that or the JDS shutter would have my vote.

If you want to do finger spin stuff it might be worth getting a 5a Shutter/shutter pivot.

If you don’t mind branching out to another brand maybe have a look at an iYoyo iceberg. Probably the finger spin KING of my collection.

Second place would be the iYoyo Shooting Star and third the yoyofactory Atom Smasher.

But the shutter series are great yoyo and whichever you get you’re going to get something awesome.

3 Likes

For 60 bucks you have a world of options… OD has the intro in solids which plays really nice.
Shutter JDS is amazing and a worthwhile next step to the shutter.
Check out the yye section $35-55 and you will find a lot of great picks still available

2 Likes

Yeah…really…most every yoyo within $35-$55 will be a good player. That is true. Very few bad yoyos are made nowadays.

4 Likes

Yoyofriends Shortcut, YYF Horizon, YYF Shutter Wide Angle. If you have another 9 bucks you can get a General-yo Torrent II, which I highly recommend.

3 Likes

I’m a big fan of the Yoyofactory Spotlight as well. I hadn’t heard of it until I got it but it’s a lovely throw.

Then there’s some great Budget brands like AceYo, TopYo, MagicYoyo who all deliver excellent designs within your pricerange. Some even Bi-metal.

3 Likes

Thanks for the Help! It looks like I’ll be picking up a shutter JDS but let me know if there are any other recommendations!

1 Like

There is also some new Shutter Colorways

5 Likes

How about the R-Type which has similar specs to the Shutter.

2 Likes

Except for the width which I just realized is 5mm wider.

2 Likes

I loved my shutter WA until I picked up a c3 krown in a yoyo bundle. Dead smooth, extremely stable and insanely comfortable in your hand. Something worth checking out for $44

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, will check out! But I need to ask a question… and I’m very sorry if this is a rookie question-I’m kinda new to yoyoing- but what do you mean yoyo bundle? Like a mystery box or something? Thanks!

I’m new too so no worries. I’m just referring to a bundle of yoyo’s I bought off the buy/trade/sell forum (1 price for 4 throws) the funny thing was I bought the bundle wanting a specific yoyo. After picking up the krown it instantly became my favorite and now I can’t put it down.

3 Likes

What is the “inner foil design” that the Shutter has?

3 Likes

I think it’s the little lip around the flat middle part of the hub.

2 Likes

Speedaholic XX and save $32. Or buy two in case you lose one :wink:. It’s crazy how good it is! I’ve been on a steady diet of Speedaholic and iQ for a little while now, and I routinely reach for the Speedaholic (sometimes over the iQ which is fantastic!).

3 Likes

Most of the yo-yos I own are in this price range. I am still a new thrower as well. I own and LOVE all the shutter models, and I’m surprised I’ve heard nobody mention the Shutter wide angle. If you’ve owned the OG, this is a god next step.

But if you’re looking to step away from YYF altogether (which I was glad when I branched out). Check out any of the UNPRLD throws. Best bang for your Buck is their Elevation IMO. It’s machined in 7068 aluminum, smooth as butter, and spins forever. Nice wide catch zone, stable, and is good for finger spins(esp for beginners). Price tag I think is $45ish but plays well above that. This leaves you with some extra $$ for strings or to upgrade the bearing.

Just my two cents. But everything else I see suggested would be good for you too.

1 Like

Means that it focuses more weight around the middle of the yo-yo, instead of making it so rim-heavy like almost every other yo-yo nowadays. Helps keep it on plane when it moves through space when you are doing tricks where the yo-yo is moving through space away from your body. It moves much straighter and floats a bit more with that kind of weight distribution. Helps with some of the extreme hop tricks Gentry likes to do. Big reason he wanted it designed that way I think. Also why the shutter has such a unique feel compared to other yo-yos. Very well balanced

2 Likes

If you love the shutter and you just live them fingerspins……… then I would recommend the SpeedaholicXX…… you will LOVE it!

3 Likes