ywet... string eater?

I for one won’t buy another Anti Yo. Not just because of this problem but no-one from Anti-Yo came through and apologized or anything. What they should really do is a recall. They decided to ignore this thread when they obviously have seen it.

I shouldn’t have to…that’s my whole point…I paid $145 for a yoyo that shouldn’t have any problems…if companies that sell yoyos for $10 can produce a finish that doesn’t eat strings then why cant 1 of the leading manufacturers?

This seems to be a problem over different models and has been a recurring issue for some time…It’s just bad business ethics which shows they don’t actually care about customer satisfaction…just about the $$$…which is sad…because they make good throws…

1 Like

Because a $10 yoyo abd a $150 yoyo have different finishes. Certain finishes are somewhat unpredictable and can eat strings. This is something that you should do your research on before you throw a yoyo. Besides, having someone check every yoyo for 15+ minutez to see if it cuts strings is uneconomical.

Checking the bearing area and perhaps rubbing it down with a belt is not much to ask and is considered standard maintanence. Anti yo isn’t asking you to rebuild the engine, they’re asking you to fill the tank.

1 Like

Actually, they have dealt with the issues. They themselves have before mentioned that some of their yoyos were string eaters and recommended to rub them down. I don’t see why they would have a total recall, because a few people didn’t read up before about this which is a common issue with Anti-Yo finishes. Contact them directly if you feel like you were flat out ripped off

[quote=“Jake_Elliott,post:23,topic:41524”]
Seriously, that’s your argument?

I just paid $145…for something which is technically unfinished…

Spending that amount of money on something I have to complete the job on, is uneconomical…

It’s also not too much to ask that someone at the place of manufacture rubs it down for 20 mins and “fills the tank”…and this “standard maintenance” is something I have never had to do with any other yoyo, so I would hardly call it standard…

No, they shouldn’t have to do a recall, they should check the quality of their products before it ever gets sent out in the first place…What ever happened to people taking pride in their work or their products?

It’s because people have this attitude that the manufacturers can get away with it…unless you are buying a DIY kit, why would you want to have to finish the work yourself?

I don’t feel ripped off, I feel let down…

anyhow, I will just stick to less expensive but better quality finished throws in future to avoid any dissatisfaction…

like i said before though i have never really thrown a higher quality throw than the ywet. anti-yo chose to use a very heavy blast that is rough on the string, but it gives the yoyo a very unique look and feel that is to die for IMO. This is a hobby/activity, and part of this hobby/activity is maintaining, cleaning, and modifying your yoyos. If you aren’t willing to rub down the anno for about 20 minutes than dont buy the yoyo its that simple. It’s not worth dinging your yoyo and then blaming the company. They could have used a finner blast or rubbed it down but im sure theres people out there that enjoy doing stuff like that when they buy a yoyo. I tell you the first thing i do when i buy a yoyo is clean the bearing and do other maintenance things to it to make sure its up to par. I rarely ever just rip it out of the box and start wipping it around.

It is sort of allot to ask for the company to rub down the ano on every one of their yoyos. They make lets say 100 yoyos. That would be 2,000 minutes of just rubbing the anno down. Thats roughly 33 hours. It is definitely not economical or worth doing for the small company. And hey if they did do that the yoyo would be worth probably more like $200 or more.

I agree with alex with the relating this to buying a car that has some sort of defect as being kind of ridiculous. A car is thousands of dollars, small problems with a car may result in someone dying or getting hurt and the car being totalled… These are yoyos. The worst thing that happens is that it breaks off the string and smashes on the floor or something else hard, putting dings in it. The aesthetics may be ruined but the yoyo will play fine. At most it would add an un-noticeable amount of vibe that doesn’t affect play. Its in the same category as the car situation, but way different.

In short. If you aren’t willing to rub the anno down on a very unique and fun yoyo then down buy it. I personally think its worth the 20 minutes to feel such a unique finish on a yoyo. Granted, they should put a warning or something of that sort in the box with it so people aren’t so startled if it happens, but if you buy a yoyo that expensive anyways you should do your research.

1 Like

I make websites…I would never dream of handing over control of a website to a customer and then expect them to finish it off themselves…just saying…

Maintaining something usually involves keeping it at the level it was when new, this issue is nothing to do with maintenance…

Clearly we have different opinions of what taking pride in our work entails…

It is not a lot to ask of a company, but the point is it should not need to be asked at all…

I’m done with this conversation now, I think I have aired my views mostly to employees or wannabe employees of Anti-Yo…who believe producing a quality product is something with flaws in it…

thats not what any of us defending anti-yo are saying at all. Plus its not a “flaw” in the yoyo. Whatever its futile im done arguing about this.

^ Of course it’s a friggen flaw!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t expect them to test every yoyo. That’s crazy. I would expect them to test one or two, discover that this finish was a problem, and then find another way to finish the yoyos for a production run. I mean, at this point it’s a recurring problem. You wouldn’t even need to test them anymore to know about it.

This problem is fixable. Plenty of metal yoyos have cool finishes that don’t eat string. Blasted finishes included. I don’t think it’s really asking all that much.

That’s a major problem when you’re talking about $150+ that you just took out of the box an hour before. The biggest problem possible, really. It’s the reason people care about this issue.

This is a relatively short process involving the green side of the sponge. It’s really not the end of the world. I suggest posting like it isn’t either.

It’s a slight drawback, and I think most people were tired of waiting for the YWET anyways.

I would be disgusted if my ridiculously expensive toy got a ding in it within an hour of opening it.

If it can really eat thru string like you guys say then they should put a big warning out there…they could even put a little bit of spin and creativity behind it like:

“Rub down the finish to your exact preference with included denim pouch before playing as it may eat string if you fail to do so”…

If it was sold like that…as if it was some “Feature” of the yoyo that you got to adjust people would see that as a way that differentiates it from other companies/throws. Kind of like how one of the selling points of onedrop’s sideeffects feature is that you get to adjust the weight to your preference…with this you are essentially adjusting the abrasion to your preference.

If the company is not willing to highlight the concerns to people then they should just rub it down to a degree that guarantees it wont break a dragon string within 2 hours MINIMUM because NO ONE wants to buy a throw that does that. The car analogy I would use is: You buy a car thats guaranteed to have the breaks fail within the first 5 miles of driving it. Best case scenario your car slowly comes to a stop (or if its a yoyo maybe it just flies off and lands on the couch) but the worst case scenario is that you go flying off the highway (or your yoyo breaks off and goes flying into a crowd of onlooking children).

For the record I like Anti Yo’s designs and I can accept their prices. I think this is a small issue that will only become a big issue if Anti-Yo is not capable of conducting business responsibly and appropriately.

1 Like

I agree that it’s unacceptable for such a premium priced yoyo to come with such an obvious flaw.

I would hope that Anti-Yo learn from this and avoid the any similar problems with future releases but they originally had this issue with the first release of the YWET and obviously didn’t learn from that…

…I have a Viszilla and a Bape2 and unfortunately never came across any info on the forums with regards to string breakage or rubbing the response area until it was too late.

I think I had the Viszilla a couple of weeks before the string snapped, it went flying across my living room straight into a metal radiator - dinged. It was the second string and probably about the 5th throw so at the time I thought it must of been a faulty string and just took the hit. The Bape 2’s string snapped 3rd throw on the first string about 2mins after taking it from the pouch, it hit the floor hard resulting in two small flat spots, this time I knew it was more than a coincidence!

It’s shame as Anti-Yo has created some truly beautiful throws in every way and if only there had been some sort of warning in the pouch I wouldn’t have damaged two very expensive yoyo’s.

…lesson learnt I guess :’(!

Oh I should mention my second run YWET has never broken a string but that does have a completely different finish to the Viszilla/Bape2.

They aren’t asking anyone to do this. If they did have a warning label and did ask us to do it I wouldn’t have broken the yoyo, wasted mine and YYEs time/money for shipping. Not to mention my light fixture…

edit:
People deserve money back. Or at least an apology. Wheres the “calvary”? This is like common sense. LOGIC. You sell a faulty product thats even potentially dangerous without any warnings you better fix it. Anti Yo hasn’t done a thing.
They should be giving free yoyos to people who dinged theres up from playing with it and they can tell if its from that by simply picking up their own yoyo and seeing if it eats a string again.

Anti Yo is putting people in danger including themselves for a lawsuit. What if it ate a string and hit a baby? I know that sounds unlikely but they sell hundreds, thousands? of yoyos and targeted towards kids who sometimes have siblings.

Also all this makes me come to think… Did they even pick up one of their yoyos and play with it before they decided to sell 100 of them? They obviously noticed the problem and didn’t address it. They just wanted to get their money back and selfishly sold them to kids anyway.

Also everyone who is saying “whatever all you have to do is rub denim on it”. obviously the ones with the broken yoyos/windows didnt know that

1 Like

well as said before when buying something that expensive you should do your research

1. to see if youre gonna even like it
  2. to see if its worth the money

Anti-yo also i think adressed the issue and gave a warning of some sort… it should come in the packaging though… not just a post online. They did adress it with the first run of ywets, the second run was much softer on the string and there were very few problems with it.

Im gonna say it again if you hate anti-yo so much for dinging up your brand new throw dont ever buy from them again, or even try and shoot an email at them. I’m sure you’ll find that theres more behind them doing this with there finishes and they might actually be willing to help you out.

Ok so if its “expensive” I should do my research? Ok. I don’t see too much logic in that. People buy expensive cars all the time and if there is a problem they usually do something called a recall and have them brought in to get serviced and fixed. People don’t think they have to go make sure the car won’t crash and kill a bunch of people first. “Expensive” is different to a lot of people as well. I pretty much did my research by yoyoing for 2 years and owning yoyos from all different companies that didn’t have this problem. This has never happened to me and I had only heard about it with the punchline I believe. Never owned it.

Also I would love to see this announcement Anti-Yo made. If they did that almost makes it worse because they didn’t do one for the Bape2. I don’t hate anti yo for dinging up my yoyo. I don’t “hate” them. I’m pretty mad because it was pretty much a slap in the face to the yoyo community lacking any apologies or anything.Especially when threads like these are being made that i know they’re reading.

As for my story: YYE got me a new one but that wasted my time and theirs as well as packaging/shipping costs. Once again thank you to YYE. I made sure they weren’t losing any money and Anti-Yo would pay them for that throw. I was told they did and that they’re a great bunch of people.

I think they’re selfish. I think they messed up a batch of throws and sold them anyway without thinking caring about the consequences to the people buying them so they could make their quick buck back.

Wow. Take a chill pill…

You’re only making yourself look bad, not them.

Sorry, you guys can judge me for being mad but this is simple business logic/courtesy they seem to be lacking. They obviously tried their own yoyo before selling it and noticed after 3 throws it flies across the room. It happened with 2 of mine and X amount of people on this board posting about it and X amount that just bought it and haven’t come across this thread and are sitting at home with a busted yoyo/window/siblings face.

edit: I got a new one so I’m not bitter about money. I still have a beautiful anti-yo yoyo. I manage a restaurant and if we gave someone some undercooked food we would bring it back in the kitchen and fix it and apologize and give them a free drink… and not expect the customer to come in and research our place and know to bring their own grill or expect to barf after they eat our food. If we gave a hamburger we wouldnt expect them to bring their own ketchup…or rub a belt on it before eating :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ok im going to end on this note.

For some reason comparing yoyos to cars or food bothers me. I guess because theyre very serious things in life and if there were to be something wrong with them someone could get sick/hurt/killed. Yoyos are toys… no matter how you look at it… theyre toys. You can argue that it has come a long way and its no longer just a hobby, but for everyone thats not a “professional” or not sponsored or not an owner of a company shouldnt make it more than just a toy/hobby. Sure you can be very active in the community or even “obsessed”, consuming most of your time throwing/buying/collecting, but youre throwing/buying/collecting toys. Thats why the whole “if a car had faulty breaks there would be a recall!” doesnt really fit well with me and other people. Your involved in a great hobby, but its a hobby… not a necessity in life. You cant really compare yoyoing to anything other than other hobby/toy related things. Thats just how i look at it you guys who disagree obviously see it different.

That being said there should be more initiative taken by anti-yo… maybe offering compensation for dinged yoyos (which as stated before they were believed to cover the price for dcs937’s when he got a new one from yoyoexpert), and there should be a warning that comes with the yoyo in the packaging. If there was a warning though people would still complain that “its unfinished if i have to do some work to throw it”. Like stated before, its not replacing the brakes, its filling the tank. You have to do very VERY minimal work to get the yoyo running smoothly, but there is no warning. Even though the chances of you finding one of these threads about it is likely if you ever typed in the name of the yoyo … thats not right. Thats the LEAST they coud do.

Other than that tough it up :stuck_out_tongue: its not worth the silly arguments on here if its a simple solution. Either fix the yoyo or dont purchase from them again… not worth the arguments. Even the time i spent sending this message seems to be redundant and needless.

Just HAVE FUN! thats what its all about.