ywet... string eater?

I know some Anti-yos are string eaters that blow off the end of the string within minutes of throwing them unless you wear down the ano a little bit… is the ywet one of those “string eaters”? im getting a used one… idk how used it is though and i dont want to throw it and have it smash against the floor when im excited to play it.

I’ve definitely read about cases of it with the ywet. But, just rubbing some denim around the response area is usually enough to correct it. If the throw has been played, it also might already be worn down nicely.

Make a nice medium throw with a good, new string. Then look at it after it burns out. If the string is really worn then you need to rub down the ano a bit. If it’s fine then keep at it.

Yoyos Will Eat Themselves

Yoyos Will Eat Your Strings

Anti-Yos definitely have a string eating issue. No doubt about it. Wear it down with denim or the back side of a leather belt.

My YWET has no problems at all. My viszilla ate one string and has been fine since. It was a nylon string if that’s important to anyone. Still lasted a while too, I caught it before it broke.

You should have contacted me directly. The YWET that you traded from me does not eat string because it has been well played and the blast around the bearing has been carefully worn down on jeans. It’s good to go. You’ll love it.

hmm yes i suppose i should of done that :stuck_out_tongue: i dont know why i didnt frankly i feel kinda like a dumby now… thats usually the first thing i do when i have questions.sorry about that

I bought a Bapezilla 2 and it eats strings like they are going out of fashion…It ate through a hamstring in about 10 mins, a mondo hybrid in about the same and regular highlites last about 2 mins…I have done the denim thing for 10 mins on each half which has helped slightly but I probly need to do a lot more…considering the price of these throws (£92) you would expect a bit of attention to detail spent on them…I have a Magic YoYo T8 (£6) which plays SO much better…

I fear another thread on this forum may have contributed to tagging the Bapezilla2 with a bad reputation for being ravenous on string. I fear as well I am guilty of contributing to this unfair caricature this past week. I received a Bapezilla2 on the 8th of August and admittedly I went through the initial string within the first 30 minutes of play. I buffed the response areas with the rough side of a leather coaster for about 5 or 10 minutes and the second string lasted 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I burnished some more and haven’t experienced any problems since.

Please allow me to state unequivocally the Anti-Yo’s Bapezilla2 is an outstanding product and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. It’s a great yo-yo! I love the way it feels and plays. It’s fairly forgiving and grants very respectable spin time. If anyone is considering purchasing any Anti-Yo product please don’t be dissuaded by off the the cuff remarks made by me or anyone else on the forums complaining about initially experiencing it chewing through string. As it may be true it is incumbent upon Anti-Yo to appraise their merchandise for flaws in light of these recently expressed concerns, no one should be discouraged from purchasing any of their products for a very minor characteristic which is easily remedied.

There is an extensive assortment of yo-yos in my case which get lost in the shadow of my Bapezilla2.

First run YWETs were pretty rough, the rest weren’t bad at all. There weren’t many first runs so the chance of getting one is minimal and it’s pretty easy to tell just by looking at them as you can notice the rougher blast and the colors are a little more dull because of it. The whole string eating thing is being blown out of proportion, all it takes is a few looks at the string every so often to tell, not sure why people are acting like suddenly it’s an issue when numerous companies have had the same thing happen for years and years.

I only have a dri-ywet. I play it fairly regularly and I’ve had it since they released and I’m on only my second string and it didn’t eat the first one. I swapped it out due to normal wear. The copper coat is not the normal finish, but the dri-ywet does fine.

I think people would have a problem with it no matter how much it has occured in the past. It’s not a positive quality, and it puts your very expensive yoyos at risk of being damaged prematurely. Whether or not that risk can be minimized doesn’t really keep me from questioning why a yoyo would release with a finish that ate string as quickly as some do. Seems like a pretty obvious thing, if not the very first thing, to knock of the “is this yoyo ready?” checklist.

I just got a Bape.2 and the first thing I did was buff each half with the denim pouch AND the inside of my belt. It ate the Dragon string in less than an hour. Buffed it some more, and, with a new Dragon string, I got through the better part of a day with intermittent throwing before I had to stop. Both times, I stopped when I saw that at least half the threads had frayed through. Tonight I pulled out the Dremel, and with a polishing pad, I went to work on the little stringivore. Decided to try a thin Metz this time, as I didn’t want to burn yet another Dragon. So far, so good. After about 15-20 minutes, not a sign of fraying…yet. I’m keeping my fingers crossed!

For me I was so excited to buy the Bapezilla 2 and it is my most expensive throw which I saved up for and bought as a present to myself for my birthday, so as you would expect I was pretty dissapointed when it started eating strings…it is a nice throw but I am aprehensive about throwing it because even tho I check it regular I don’t want it coming off the string and getting dinged…

I have 25 other yoyos and some of them have cost me less than £15 and never experienced the string eating with any of them. A £92 yoyo should at the least be better quality…and shouldn’t require that I have to spend 20 mins rubbing it on denim, if anything that should have been done before it was sold…

my 2p worth…

well… the ywet is one of the best yoyos ive ever used. it plays like how much it costs. and the 20 mins you need to spend rubbing each half down really doesnt take away from the overall value of the yoyo. The one i got i believe is first run… its rough in the cups and has no little anti-yo hearts anywhere on it. the guy i got it from did a good job of smoothing it out… it still went through a string faster than it should have… but over all im not disappointed and i think the yoyo is worth the price and the time needing to put into it.

Would you be happy buying a brand new Porsche only to find that when you got it home you had to give it a full service before using it otherwise it had a risk of forcing you off the road into a ditch and potentially damaging the car?

same concept…

It is a good YoYo, that’s not the issue, quality control is…

1 Like

Why do people constantly equate yoyos to cars? I mean really, it’s a toy and you should never assume to be otherwise. Rub it with a little bit of toothpaste on the denim. It will add just enough abrasion to reduce the blast enough, without hurting the colors. Try this at your own risk, I am not responsible for overzealous rubbing.

Because it’s an analogy and not a direct comparison? People use cars to illustrate concepts about products because it’s relatively safe to assume that everyone either owns or is familiar with a car. You could use audiophile grade AV equipment to make the same point, but it wouldn’t be as universally understood.

I’m not sure what is meant by “it’s a toy” or how that relates to design issues. All I can think is that maybe this is an attempt to trivialize it and the quality control we should expect from it?

1 Like

Yes, it is pretty trivial. If one or two people were to hand make a run of 200 Porsches, more quality control issues would be apparent. Why is this so? Because the amount of QC issues would be comparatively high to the total number made. Porsche makes thousands of cars. Quality control is “good” because many more people are satisfied than not satisfied by the drive, the experience, and the label. Even so, Car snd Driver complains every so often about test cars not functioning correctly for their reviews. Top Gear too. If Anti-Yo used robots to build thousands of yoyos, their control would skyrocket because the human error variable would be negligible and any issues would be far outweighed by adequately performing units. My Bapezilla.2 hasn’t cut any strings, however, I understand that these yoyos are rotated and blasted by hand. Things can happen.

This is a situation of John Henry vs The Steam Engine. Porsche uses robots, yoyos are hand assembled. I’m not saying that the issue is nonexistent, just that you’re expecting a certain high level of predictable precision when throwing around lofty car analogies and frankly, you won’t ever get it.

Then again, I’ve probably been playing with yoyos alot longer than most so I look forward to finding and resolving issues. In ye ol days, that’s what yoyoing was all about.

I guess I don’t see it that way. When the prices are extremely high and you’re talking personal attention for each product, I would really expect the quality control to be off the charts. I know in my own business, which involves 100% hand assembly, my product is always as perfect as it can be or else it I don’t ship it. I sometimes eat costs to remedy mistakes. My customers expect that because they’re paying me a lot more than they need to in order to get something of that quality.

But back to the yoyos, this particular issue just seems weird (to me) because it’s so obvious. It’s not like someone just doesn’t prefer the way it plays…this is the finish outright eating string. Major, identifiable issue for a yoyo that would be apparent within an hour of testing. That we can treat it pretty quickly makes one wonder why this is not resolved, and why it continues to be an issue. It’s not a dealbreaker, but also not a great first impression.

1 Like